Reliable subcompact thin profile 9 mm Concealable Gun

This is a discussion on Reliable subcompact thin profile 9 mm Concealable Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend is 70" tall, 150 lbs and is thin. I showed him the Walther PPS but he wants something with a safety that is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reliable subcompact thin profile 9 mm Concealable Gun

Reliable subcompact thin profile 9 mm Concealable Gun

My friend is 70" tall, 150 lbs and is thin. I showed him the Walther PPS but he wants something with a safety that is thin and easy to conceal. The Kahr PM9 has a gun that may fit the bill. He does like the XD SC 9 or G26/27.

What is left to consider other than a lightweight/airweight snubby?

2. Remove Ads

My PM9 has been a great gun.

The PM9 is an awesome gun, but very small capacity. If he likes the G26...I say go for that, very rugged reliable and simple to work on and with.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

GM
    The PM9 is a beautiful gun and I cannot more than recommend it, but I do not consider that it is a good first gun; I do not thing that you can master a PM9 if you only shoot it only once in a while. However, you will hardly find a reliable 9mm that is easier to conceal than the PM9 (and that shoots for +p ammo too).
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Check out the Taurus "Slim" model - should work.

He thinks the Glocks are too thick. I like the PM9 or Ruger SR9c.

Luckily, I am easy to please. I have 357s, a 23 or 27.

IMHO It really boils down to what feels good in the hand and on the hip. Between the G26 and XDSC 9mm, I'd go with the XD. I find it more ergonomic and easier to sight.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by willydd View Post
    Check out the Taurus "Slim" model - should work.
    I understand that everybody like different things, and that is normal. However, I should never recommend anyone to buy something that has the name Taurus on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I understand that everybody like different things, and that is normal. However, I should never recommend anyone to buy something that has the name Taurus on it.
    I have to agree, especially if this is going to be your first or only gun. Let one thing go wrong and have to ship back to taurus and you can kiss your baby good by for quite a while

The Taurus Slim is a thin, light, small, single stack 9mm with a safety. I've put 1,000 rounds through mine since November of last year with NO failures of any kind. - 0 - It has been very accurate and reliable.

Some folks have had extractor issues, or even extractor breaks, but as one poster said this week his was because he manually fed a round into the chamber and then released the slide. The Slim extractor is not spring loaded it is fixed. The only way to get a casing edge in the proper position is from bottom feeding from the mag. I tested many types of ammo and I carry the Hornady critical defense because of the shape of the projectile (consistent and reliable feeding) and the rim on the casing. Just for fun, I removed my extractor completely and cycled an entire magazine of CD flawlessly, without a single failure to extract or eject, without the extractor. That is because the chamber indicator grabs the lip of the CD casing (due to the shape of the case lip) and pulls it out. I have no concerns about reliability whatsoever.

If for some reason someone broke an extractor, Taurus will send you one within a week and it takes 5 minutes to replace. Whatever gun a person chooses, they should read the manual, strip the weapon, and understand how it works. Proper cleaning and maintenance go a long way towards reliability.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If your friend is a fairly new shooter, I would suggest the Kahr CW9 instead of the PM9. They are both great guns but the CW has more grip to hold on to. The barrel is only .5 in. longer and you get one more round in the mag. You can carry either OWB or IWB under a baggy t-shirt and never see it. The CW is also several hundred dollars cheaper with absolutely no sacrifice in quality.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    If your friend is a fairly new shooter, I would suggest the Kahr CW9 instead of the PM9. They are both great guns but the CW has more grip to hold on to. The barrel is only .5 in. longer and you get one more round in the mag. You can carry either OWB or IWB under a baggy t-shirt and never see it. The CW is also several hundred dollars cheaper with absolutely no sacrifice in quality.
    I totally agree; the PM9 is a great gun, but I do not consider it to be a good first gun unless you are willing to practice a lot.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I've got a 709 that has been flawless with alot of rounds through it. Can only say what I've experienced.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Check out the Rohrbaugh R9-R9S. It looks to be about the size of a P3AT but .9mm. As soon as I find a dealer close by I'm going to fondle one and see if it follows me home.

A few other options you may want to consider as I did when I was in the same pickle. However I never liked polymer frames. Tell your friend to check out two different weapons
    The Smith and Wesson 3913 series of pistols
    The Khar K9 series

The Smith is double action/single action with a pull of 8lbs and 4.5 lbs respectively and hold 8+1 rounds and is OK for +P+ ammo. The grip is under an inch thick and the weapon will hold at least a paper plate sized group at 50 yards so its plenty accurate.

The Khar is about the same weight as the Smith at around 25-30 oz loaded. It is a bit slimmer than the Smith but not noticeably so. The trigger is buttery smooth and breaks like a stick of glass. It really does have a WONDERFUL trigger. The Khar will hold a similar group as the Smith so not too much difference there. The cost will be a bit more. You can expect to pay 500-700 for the Khar and around 300-500 for the Smith.
    Last edited by Datsun40146; May 13th, 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links