P239 in 40S&W

This is a discussion on P239 in 40S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ceapea So far, my best prices from two dealers in my area are $795 and $825 for either caliber in the two-tone. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: P239 in 40S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    So far, my best prices from two dealers in my area are $795 and $825 for either caliber in the two-tone. What do you guys think of those prices? Anybody know of a better deal?
    I have one up on sigforum, its the 239 SAS in .40, DAK.

FS or Trade 239 SAS Gen1 .40 DAK / P226 Homeland Security .40 DAK - Topic Powered by Social Strata

I'll ship to any FFL, plus there would be no tax. :)

The 239 in .40 is not snappy at all.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Truefaith View Post
    I have one up on sigforum, its the 239 SAS in .40, DAK.

FS or Trade 239 SAS Gen1 .40 DAK / P226 Homeland Security .40 DAK - Topic Powered by Social Strata

I'll ship to any FFL, plus there would be no tax. :)

The 239 in .40 is not snappy at all.
    The DAK is in consideration, but I kinda' have my sights on the DA/SA.
    I'll let you know.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Pogo,
    Did you have that gun worked on for the finish or was that factory original? I did not think that they made them in all stainless. Was this model discontinued? It is a beautiful thing.

Ceapea, what is it about the Gen 2 that you like? What exactly are the differences with the gen 2? Is that the one with the short reset trigger? What else is different?

I just shot the 239 in .40 today. It had that .40 snappiness, but it really stayed on target, it was quite easy for me to shoot pretty well. This gun is on my radar too, and I am narrowing in on the .40 - it would be for everyday carry so why not more power. The 9 does have the extra round though, and 9 is more than 5 bucks cheaper per box here......

One more thing on the SAS finishes, it seemed to me that the slides were slightly harder to get a firm grip on.

I've also been handling the P250's, and they seem WAY fatter at the grip to conceal. The value of the 239 seems to be all about the thinness of the grip.

Good reading here, thanks for posting about this fantastic gun.

ps. one thing that bugs me about the DAK version is they left that grove where the decocker moves...it just looks funny to have that grove there but no functionality. It seems to ruin the look of it. For that much money, it better look as good as it shoots.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Originally posted by: Freedomofchoice:
    Considering size and weight, magazine capacity is negligible.

That is absolutely true, you can also say many people still carry 5 shot revolvers as well, myself included from time to time. But there is a reason why most police depts. or military personnel no longer carry revolvers. Many will even argue that the 1911 is an outdated platform.

The original poster asked for opinions of the Sig 239 40S&W, and having had experience with that particular gun I gave my opinion. The point I hoped to make was that when selecting a gun for carry, if you're going to spend +- $700 for a carry gun there are better choices than the 239.
    I too gave my opinion, having experience with a P239, which I carry daily, and sometimes I carry a mod 60 or mod 66 revovlers. The point as was attempting to make is as a civilian round count may not be the most important criteria in selecting a firearm for SD, it isn't for me. I agree with you that for LE professionals requiring a firearm with more capacity there may be better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    You said you like a thicker grip, but, the grip isn't thick, the slide is thicker. The slide on the 239 40 S&W is actually thicker and taller than the slide on the 239 9mm. That accounts for the fact that the 40 weighs 1 1/2 oz more than the 9mm, and also holsters for each are different.

I had a 239 in 40 cal. and did not like the way it shot. Seemed snappier than my Glock 23 and 27. I ended up selling it because there were just better choices for its size and weight, like the Sig 250. Weighs just 25 oz. and holds a good deal more rounds than the 239.
    With the wood grips on it it is thicker than with the standard Sig grips, I bought mine used (under $700.00) and it had wood grips installed, I went back to the standard factory grips because they are thinner.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Ceapea, what is it about the Gen 2 that you like? What exactly are the differences with the gen 2? Is that the one with the short reset trigger? What else is different?

I just shot the 239 in .40 today. It had that .40 snappiness, but it really stayed on target, it was quite easy for me to shoot pretty well. This gun is on my radar too, and I am narrowing in on the .40 - it would be for everyday carry so why not more power. The 9 does have the extra round though, and 9 is more than 5 bucks cheaper per box here......

One more thing on the SAS finishes, it seemed to me that the slides were slightly harder to get a firm grip on.

I've also been handling the P250's, and they seem WAY fatter at the grip to conceal. The value of the 239 seems to be all about the thinness of the grip.

ps. one thing that bugs me about the DAK version is they left that grove where the decocker moves...it just looks funny to have that grove there but no functionality. It seems to ruin the look of it. For that much money, it better look as good as it shoots.
    Well, I don't know what the differences are between Gen II and earlier versions. It's what's available now, kinda like all the Kimbers having a II in their model names. I do have a P220 Elite and do like the SRT on it.
    I held off on the 40 in any gun based on the "snappy" thing, but recently went and got both a Sigma in 40 and a G22. I think that they shoot the same as any of my 3 9mm guns, so "snappy" doesn't exist as far as I am concerned. Like I said about having 3 9mm's, I really don't want or need another 9mm gun and since I am determined to get a 239 some day, it will be in 40S&W. No 357 Sig for me, at least not right a way...can't find the ammo easily and any that is found is WAY expensive.
    I'll have to think about the SAS slides being "slippery", my 232 is also slippery due to shallow serrations and happens to be my only gun that is even close to being difficult to "rack". I would like something a little more coarse to help in that regard.
    As far as the 250 goes, I'm not too sure that I am ready to go DAO just yet. I really like the DA/SA triggers on my 232/220. That may change one day. Another thing about the 250, it seems that it was marketed as the "economy " line of guns. Heck, my 232 almost costs twice as much. At the price their asking for the 250, I gotta believe that Sig left something(s) out of that gun in the engineering department. I could be wrong!
    At this point, I'm in my "investigative" mode, researching (read-waiting for the cash) before purchasing. Thanks for your input.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I am still researching the 239 and found out something interesting today. The serrations on the slide of the SAS are half height in only the 9 mm. The .40 has full height serrations, so it might be easier to get a hold of.

The photos all clearly show this, but I had not thought about it until I read it on a review.

I thought this might help in your cogitation CP.

This gun is at the tippy top of my hotlist. I am viewing it as beautiful, wearable, life saving jewelry which makes it easier to consider the price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links