P239 in 40S&W

P239 in 40S&W

This is a discussion on P239 in 40S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of getting this gun and wanted to hear from current owners. I would also consider it in 9mm, but I already have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P239 in 40S&W

P239 in 40S&W

I am thinking of getting this gun and wanted to hear from current owners. I would also consider it in 9mm, but I already have 3 9mm pistols and wanted it in 40. How does the gun handle? I have heard a lot about the 40 "snappy" thing and haven't found it to be a problem in full and mid sized guns. The 239 is a bit smaller and "snappy" MAY become a problem. So far, I have not found any handgun (up to 44 mag) that has lived up to it's reputation as a butt kicker or "it will knock you down when you fire it". So I think that I'd be okay with the 239 in 40S&W. Really, the 44 mag reputation (and 40 S&W)is such that I stayed away from it for a very long time. Then, once I shot it, I had to ask what all the hub-bub was about? I didn't think that it was any worse than a .45 and the full sized 40 is as controllable as any of my 9's.

So, what do 'yall think? Get it in 40 or 9mm

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

VIP Member
    I never found .40S&W snappy. I don't like the feel of .40. To me there appears to be an unusual twisting effect as the pistol fires. I cannot shoot any .40 pistol well. My wife on the other hand has no problems. I had a P239 in 357SIG and one in 9mm. I really enjoyed shooting the 357SIG more than the 9mm. I sold both P239s mostly because I decided to go with a weapon with more capacity. I later picked up a Steyr M357 because I had come to like the 357SIG round so much.

If this is to be a carry gun I would go with the 9mm just for the extra round. If it is not for EDC then it would be a toss up.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I never found .40S&W snappy. I don't like the feel of .40. To me there appears to be an unusual twisting effect as the pistol fires. I cannot shoot any .40 pistol well. My wife on the other hand has no problems. I had a P239 in 357SIG and one in 9mm. I really enjoyed shooting the 357SIG more than the 9mm. I sold both P239s mostly because I decided to go with a weapon with more capacity. I later picked up a Steyr M357 because I had come to like the 357SIG round so much.

If this is to be a carry gun I would go with the 9mm just for the extra round. If it is not for EDC then it would be a toss up.
    I haven't decided if it will be a carry gun or not. Really, at any time it could be. I switch out a lot. I only carry DAO type guns. Some are j-frames, but I only shoot them DA. Others are Glocks and Sigs. What I am looking for is a small single stack in 9 or 40, doesn't really matter though. I have three 9's and two 40's at this time and haven't decided on the caliber for the 239 yet. I think that I shoot my 40's as well as I shoot any of my 9's. For that matter the 40's shoot the same as my P220 45 for me. Originally, I was looking at the Kel-tec PF9, but after the problem that my sister had with her brand new 3 shot old PF9, I've changed my mind. You know what they say about first impressions...

Ceapea
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    I haven't decided if it will be a carry gun or not. Really, at any time it could be. I switch out a lot. I only carry DAO type guns. Some are j-frames, but I only shoot them DA. Others are Glocks and Sigs. What I am looking for is a small single stack in 9 or 40, doesn't really matter though. I have three 9's and two 40's at this time and haven't decided on the caliber for the 239 yet. I think that I shoot my 40's as well as I shoot any of my 9's. For that matter the 40's shoot the same as my P220 45 for me. Originally, I was looking at the Kel-tec PF9, but after the problem that my sister had with her brand new 3 shot old PF9, I've changed my mind. You know what they say about first impressions...

Ceapea
    If your looking for a single stack for the thinnes factor then you probably don't want to go with a p239. It's 1.25 inches thick which is thicker then a double stack 9mm/.40 glock and as thick as a double stack .45
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    If your looking for a single stack for the thinnes factor then you probably don't want to go with a p239. It's 1.25 inches thick which is thicker then a double stack 9mm/.40 glock and as thick as a double stack .45
    Thanks. I am not really looking at the thickness. I like a thicker grip on a smaller gun anyway for the sake of controlling it. The dimensions look a lot like my P232 and that gun is like an extension of my arm...sweet! If I had noticed the 239 at the time I was looking at the 232, I wouldn't have gotten the 232. I love my 232, but even though I consider the .380 to be viable, it is too hard to get. The 239 would have won out for that reason alone. Actually, thinking about it now, I did look at the 239, but thought that it was too "blocky"...I don't think that the SAS version was available at that time. I remember saying to the counter guy that "if the 239 was as smooth and sleek as the 232, I'd have it".

Ceapea
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

So far, my best prices from two dealers in my area are $795 and $825 for either caliber in the two-tone. What do you guys think of those prices? Anybody know of a better deal?
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

Thanks. I am not really looking at the thickness. I like a thicker grip on a smaller gun anyway for the sake of controlling it. The dimensions look a lot like my P232 and that gun is like an extension of my arm...sweet! If I had noticed the 239 at the time I was looking at the 232, I wouldn't have gotten the 232. I love my 232, but even though I consider the .380 to be viable, it is too hard to get. The 239 would have won out for that reason alone. Actually, thinking about it now, I did look at the 239, but thought that it was too "blocky"...I don't think that the SAS version was available at that time. I remember saying to the counter guy that "if the 239 was as smooth and sleek as the 232, I'd have it".

Ceapea
    Out of curiousity if your not looking for a single stack to minimize width why are you looking at one?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Out of curiousity if your not looking for a single stack to minimize width why are you looking at one?
    Well, my wife (and a lot of my friends and family too) will tell you that I am nuts! I love guns (especially Glocks and Sigs) and I don't have one of these yet. That is mostly the reason. But I will carry it, I just don't have a problem hiding guns on me and width is not a problem. Don't get me wrong, you will not find me stuffing an original Flat Top or a S&W 8" revolver in my pants except at the range, but I have no problem with my P220 or smaller for CC.
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

Ed's Public Safety just got a bunch of P239 .40S&W detective trade-ins from the Newton County Georgia Police Department. The ones I looked at were in Excellent to Like-New condition. They had them listed at $575 so they'll probably go for $550.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabbler View Post
    Ed's Public Safety just got a bunch of P239 .40S&W detective trade-ins from the Newton County Georgia Police Department. The ones I looked at were in Excellent to Like-New condition. They had them listed at $575 so they'll probably go for $550.
    Do you know if they were the SAS Gen2? I would like the 2 tone, but that is not a "must have".
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

Dimensional disagreement

I have a Sig P239 and was just measuring it with an engineering ruler. The slide, from flat to flat, is right on 1.00 inches. The grip, with Hogue aluminum grips, is 1.10 inches. The slide stop and decocker stick out slightly further. The P239, at least in 9mm, is a fairly small gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Do you know if they were the SAS Gen2? I would like the 2 tone, but that is not a "must have".
    They were not Two-Tone. I held one but am not really up to snuff on the specifics of the P239 enough to know the answer to your question. Give them a call. They ship. 770-474-6084

VIP Member
    I have a 239 in .40 cal, and I've read about the "snappy" thing, but can't say I've really noticed or experienced it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a Sig P239 and was just measuring it with an engineering ruler. The slide, from flat to flat, is right on 1.00 inches. The grip, with Hogue aluminum grips, is 1.10 inches. The slide stop and decocker stick out slightly further. The P239, at least in 9mm, is a fairly small gun.

Sig lists the width on the website as 1.20. Not sure where I got the 1.25 number from. Maybe Sig measures it from control to control. Not trying to disparage anyones gun choice but I feel that 29.5 oz empty and 1.20 inches thick is pretty big and heavy for a single stack pistol.

Sig lists the width on the website as 1.20. Not sure where I got the 1.25 number from. Maybe Sig measures it from control to control. Not trying to disparage anyones gun choice but I feel that 29.5 oz empty and 1.20 inches thick is pretty big and heavy for a single stack pistol.
    To me, size/weight has never been a problem with most guns that normally would be considered concealable. I know that term means different things to different people. But for example, I have always preferred a stainless revolver to any air weight/air light gun ever produced. If it will fit in a pocket or holster, I'll carry it. At any given moment, I'll carry my 3" M60 w/ my P232 or G19 as my BUG, or M60 and M36, or P220 and M36, 4" GP100 and M36, SW40VE and P232...any combo really and some of those are pretty beefy. In addition, I usually have spare ammo for one of the two (I always have spare ammo if only one gun) and a knife.
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links