Sig P220 Carry or an HK 45USP

This is a discussion on Sig P220 Carry or an HK 45USP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the Sig because it has a decocking feature; I've read where HK has the decock feature as well; however, I could not see ...

Thread: Sig P220 Carry or an HK 45USP

Sig P220 Carry or an HK 45USP

I like the Sig because it has a decocking feature; I've read where HK has the decock feature as well; however, I could not see where/how it functions.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The H&K has many variants, but the common one is DA / SA with a safety / decocker on the frame.

Up is safe, middle is fire, and pulling the safety all the way down decocks the hammer.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Both have decocker, typically

The standard Sig P220 has a decocker, and so does the H&K USP. I would say the Sig has the better trigger of the two, especially in double action.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

As already stated, the safety on the USP is the decocker.

Personally, I'd go for the Sig - and I have! The Sig has a better trigger. Also, the grip of the Sig fits me better. I found the texture on the USP too aggressive. It stuck to my hand and I couldn't adjust my grip at all. That'd be fine, if I could draw it properly. For some reason, I couldn't get a decent draw with my USP - no matter what type of holster I used. I ended up trading it for a Sig P229 and haven't looked back. All that being said, the USP pointed well, was accurate and the recoil reducing technology HK developed for it does work. It was a very soft shooting pistol. My USP was a compact .40. In addition to the P229, I've also got a P220 Carry that I love!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Do yourself a favor and look at the HK45. This was developed for the US military trials. I had the opportunity to fire one on loan to a local department for SWAT trials. Smooth double action and the best single action I have eve felt on a stock semi auto. The retail is a little pricey now at around $1000 and so I am staying with my Glock 23 but if the price does not matter it is a choice weapon.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The proper comparison to the 220 Carry would be the HK USP 45 Compact. The full size USP 45 would be equivalent to the full size 220.

I have both the 220 Carry and the USP 45 Compact. They are both great guns. The trigger on the Sig is slightly better, but the accuracy on both is tremendous. As a carry piece, the HK is slightly lighter and more comfortable to carry. The HK's biggest advantage over the Sig is the capability to carry Condition One (cocked and locked). So, in a very real sense, this capability overcomes the mushiness of the DA trigger pull on the HK -- you just bypass DA and stick with SA.

I can't foresee getting rid of either gun. Try both out, if you can, and see which seems to fit your hands the best. Get that piece. Then, in a few months, get the other one!

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    As already stated, the safety on the USP is the decocker.

Personally, I'd go for the Sig - and I have! The Sig has a better trigger. Also, the grip of the Sig fits me better. I found the texture on the USP too aggressive. It stuck to my hand and I couldn't adjust my grip at all. That'd be fine, if I could draw it properly. For some reason, I couldn't get a decent draw with my USP - no matter what type of holster I used. I ended up trading it for a Sig P229 and haven't looked back. All that being said, the USP pointed well, was accurate and the recoil reducing technology HK developed for it does work. It was a very soft shooting pistol. My USP was a compact .40. In addition to the P229, I've also got a P220 Carry that I love!

I used to own a USP .45 Tactical and I got rid of it for a Sig too and all for the same reasons you just stated. I really hated the aggressive checkering on the rear of the grip to actually hurt when firing the thing! I did put a Hogue slip on finger grip, but it made the grip to big and it was already like holding a 2x4 for a grip!

Definitely go for the Sig 220. I'd almost say get the regular and not the carry, but that's up to you to decide.

All good info for an ol' 1911 guy. Thanks!
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Sig. Both are fantastic weapons, but the HK trigger doesnt feel as nice as the Sig's. My vote is for the Sig (the 220 is what i carry every day) but its a close call :) good luck. You cant go wrong either way.

I vote the 220 Carry out of those two...but I agree with the previous poster who recommends the HK45. Much better design, and it comes in compact as well.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sigs will always get my vote
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

VIP Member
    IMO the Sig P220 is the finest handgun out there. It shoots like a finely tuned custom gun with the reliability everyone wants, right out of the box.

Nothing beats a Sig.......especially the P220.

The HK is a very nice gun, don't think I'm bashing them. Just not as nice as the Sig.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have an HK .45 tactical, but latest "favorite" is the new(er) P30s although it is in .40....I love it because everything is ambidextrious which does wonders for a leftie, lol......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Both are excellent guns. The H&K is lighter. The trigger on the Sig is much better. (But isn't everyones?) Accuracy and reliability are equal. You will probably find more holster, mags, and accessories available and for less with the Sig. My HK45, a fantastic handgun, had a $60 price per magazine.

Links