Firestorm pistols

Firestorm pistols

This is a discussion on Firestorm pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have an opinion on the Firestorm line of pistols? Function, reliability, etc. They look like they are made to order for me, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firestorm pistols

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Firestorm pistols

Does anyone have an opinion on the Firestorm line of pistols? Function, reliability, etc.

They look like they are made to order for me, and the price is right, but I don't want to get stuck with a paperweight or a handful of manure when the poop hits the fan.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

firestorm pistols

my dad has the firestorm 380 pistol. I have put quite a few rounds through it and i am not a fan at all. The thing jams quite often, accessories and extra mags are not easy to come by, and they are a pain in the ass to take apart and clean. i would not recomend to anybody unless its all you can afford and you are just using it to get by.

VIP Member
    I own a commander size 1911 from them. One of the first ones they made after the company went to the employees, so they've had a couple years to improve since mine, but...

I've had many failures to feed, and the slide frequently sticks 1/8" from full lockup and needs to be snapped into place. One of the original mags has cracked at the top and it's not very accurate. Trigger is rather gravelly, but that's easily fixed by a gunsmith. I'm looking for a plus for you...I can say I don't recall any FTE's if that helps.

Sorry about the bad reoprt, but mine is the only one I know anything about. I don't know anyone else with one to compare mine to.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Certain of the FireStorm firearms are made by Bersa in Argentina. For sure the .380 pistols are. Some of the others were at one time made by Llama in Spain. There may be or have been other manufacturers as well. I cannot speak for Llama or other manufacturers, but the .380 is identical to the Bersa Thunder 380 except for the grip and the shape of the trigger guard. I have had 2 Bersa 380s and have gotten excellent service from each. They are also very accurate. You will find the Bersa Thunder 380 mentioned frequently on CC and the comments are overwhelmingly positive.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Yea, like dr cmg said - just a clone of the bersa lineup. I have no first hand experience with firestorm but I've shot a few bersa pistols and I've never had any problem with them. They are supposed to have awesome customer service if something so wrong as well.

It depends on which FireStorm you're considering. FireStorm is a company name, but they do not build the guns. Their SA, 1911 style guns were made by Llama until Llama went out of business last year. There are still Llama/Firestorm guns in the pipeline. Their reliability is the same as you'd expect from a Llama of the same type. Llama built guns were dropped by the importer (Eagle Imports) and the FireStorm line after Llama closed it's doors.

I own one FireStorm, a FireStorm/Llama full size .45, 1911 model. I've experienced no functional problems in the past 2 years or so that I've owned it. However, while it LOOKS like a government model 1911, MOST parts are not interchangable with a Milspec 1911 .45, so aside from some springs, sights, most aftermarket magazines and a few other internal/external parts, you'll have to use Llama made or aftermarket parts made for a Llama/FireStorm 1911 as replacements.

The FireStorm DA autos are all built by Bersa in Argentina. Aside from minor cosmetic differences, like a slightly different triggerguard, they are exactly the same gun as it's Bersa counterpart. As has already been posted, most people consider the T-380 one of the best 380's on the market, regardless of price. The larger Bersa guns (aside from the Thunder 9) are fairly new, having been introduced in '02-'03. They haven't had the history or availability of the 380, so they aren't as well known, but almost anybody that owns one will swear by it.

I have 5 Bersa's... that should tell you something about my regard for them. I own a full size Thunder 9, the Ultra Compact 9 & 45, a Thunder 380 and the new 380 Concealed Carry (CC). They are all reliable, accurate, well made and reasonably priced. The larger caliber guns - 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP - are completely ambidextrous, a good point for lefties, and Bersa is expected to make some updates/improvements to them in the next year or so, though there have been few complaints from Bersa owners about their design or function. There were some issues with the .45 concerning weak recoil springs and extractors with earlier models (pre-'04), but that no longer seems to be an issue.

If you want to know more from the people who own them, check out the two main Bersa forums, Bersa Talk (http://bersatalk.com/) & the Bersa Thunder Chapterhouse (http://p081.ezboard.com/bbersathunderchapterhouse). Most people who own a Bersa will tell you they've been one of the best kept "secrets" in the concealed carry market for more than 30 years.
    Last edited by rachilders; June 8th, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I really like my Bersa .380, its a great pocket gun. I carry it when I am out jogging.
    Curry

Specifically, I was interested in the mini-firestorm in .45.

Just An opinion, as has been suggested , Try the Bersa 380. My
    firestorm, was not the best firearm, I have been told there are worse.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

a clone of the bersa. the bersa 380 are good guns. get yourself a kel tec p3at, i think it is smaller.

I own a F380. It is more like the Series 95 I think than the Thunder 380. I love it. A few thoughts: I had to replace my mag springs, they were very weak from the factory, found new ones online. Also, sometimes the slide fails to lock open on last round (see weak mag spring, haven't shot it since I got the new ones) and the slide will release and chamber the first round when you slap a mag in, but not all the time. I think my new mag spring may help this as well. It is very easy to field strip and clean (and boy does it need it, dirty gun). I have had no FTF, FTE, stovepipes, etc... It is way more accurate than I'd have thought, too. Bought it for my wife, I may end up packin' it more than her, I do like this little gun a lot.

BTW, not a clone of the bersa, built by bersa with a different name slapped on it.
    I'm not smart, here's someone who is:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

I have the mini firestorm in .45 and have not any issues regarding performance although had ammunition failure. Very reasonably priced and accurate. Not too bad for IWB and usually conceals well with a cover garment. Use this as a daily carry and would recommend this to anyone looking for a reliable, inexpensive (not cheap) handgun. It is well made and fits well in hand. Functions great and has all the options I needed in a carry.

rwojcik, what kind of ammunition failure?

Even though I was thinking about the Firestorm, I see the Bersa Thunder is basically identical.

Firestorm, Bersa - Same gun. I havent heard anything bad about the .45 from them. Good gun for the money.

Post damudbug

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Firestorm line of pistols? Function, reliability, etc.

They look like they are made to order for me, and the price is right, but I don't want to get stuck with a paperweight or a handful of manure when the poop hits the fan.
    If you are looking for the best made "inexpensive .38 brushed (dull nickel finish) revolver without a hammer" so that it does not catch on cloathing, then this is for you. The quailty is excellent. I have fired over 50 rounds through mine without any problems. It is made in the Philippines but they build fine firearms at a much lower cost. I carried a S&W Model 15 .38 revolver my whole Law Enforcement career and it never failed me. This little "Firestorm 38" is an awsome pistol and I would trust it as much as my old Model 15. It is the best for conceal and carry. It holds six rounds. You can find them for as little as $200.00 american dollars. If you are in need of one, and paramedics and first responders should carry a concealed firearm in my opinion, this is your best friend. I bought mine at a pawn shop (new in the box) for $189.00 plus tax so it was just over $200.00. I use it for my personal protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links