To the range today....

To the range today....

This is a discussion on To the range today.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range today with my brand new Glock 36. Shot about 50 rounds through it. Shooting 230 gr federal target rounds. Shot all ...

Thread: To the range today....

To the range today....

Went to the range today with my brand new Glock 36. Shot about 50 rounds through it. Shooting 230 gr federal target rounds. Shot all 50 wonderfully. Then i opened up the second box. Loaded up the mag and shot 3. The 4th jammed. So i cleared it and inspected everything. Didnt see a major problem. So i reloaded it up and shot again. this time the 2nd one jammed. Same again, inspected it, saw no problems, and reloaded and contd to shoot. Shot the rest of the 50 and a whole box of 50 more with no problems.

Any thoughts?
    Drew Steele NREMT-P
    Kimber Custom 2 TLE
    Glock 23
    Glock 36
    Sig 229
    Ruger LCP

I have problems when shooting PMC rounds. I tried a box for the first time a few weeks back and amost every single round jammed my gun up. When I shoot HSM's, I'll get maybe 1 in 50 to jam. But once I start shooting Federal, Remington or Corbon, all jams cease and I have no futher problems. My experience with the G36, is that it doesnt like factory reloads. I've put over 2000 rounds through mine and I only have jamming issues when I use that type of ammo. It's cheap practice ammo, but I'm fed up with it now and won't use it again.

If you only put 50 rounds through yours, that's not enough to learn what type of ammo your G36 likes to eat. Try several different brands of ammo and see which ones you like better.

Will this be your EDC?

It was bought for the purpose of being a EDC. Just havent fallen in complete love with it yet. I have never had a misfire/jam on my G23.
    Drew Steele NREMT-P
    Kimber Custom 2 TLE
    Glock 23
    Glock 36
    Sig 229
    Ruger LCP

I have done a lot of research on the g36 as I was trying o decided between that and a G26. From everything that I have heard it seems to me that some of them are finicky when it comes to ammo and some will eat anything you put in it. Try a higher quality ammo and see if that fixes the issue.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

What was the nature of the stoppage - failure to chamber completely, failure to fire, failure to eject?

What brand were the rounds that "jammed"?

Did you have the same problem with different magazines? (You do have more than one, right?)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

What?? A glock jammed???? Never!!!
    guns rule

I was shooting the Burgundy box Federal 230 gr ammo from Walmart...I am sure you all know the ones....

The first round failed the eject completely. It was stuck in between the ejector and the frame of the slide. The second round was partially withdrawn from the chamber and just sitting there loose. the slide locked open. Note the gun still had a few more rounds in the mag.

I do have 2 mags. They didnt have any more than that in stock. So i was stuck with the 2 that came with the pistol. I didnt try different mags.
    Drew Steele NREMT-P
    Kimber Custom 2 TLE
    Glock 23
    Glock 36
    Sig 229
    Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic174 View Post
    I was shooting the Burgundy box Federal 230 gr ammo from Walmart...I am sure you all know the ones....

The first round failed the eject completely. It was stuck in between the ejector and the frame of the slide. The second round was partially withdrawn from the chamber and just sitting there loose. the slide locked open. Note the gun still had a few more rounds in the mag.

I do have 2 mags. They didnt have any more than that in stock. So i was stuck with the 2 that came with the pistol. I didnt try different mags.
    Your Glock should eat that ammo without a problem. If you were having FTF's I would think it may be the mags, but I would start to think about your spring with FTE's.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Make sure your magazines are properly loaded each and every time. You feel less resistance when putting a round in, take it out. Slap the bottom of the mag to seat them, then whack the back of the mag to make sure they are up against the back. Loading the Glock mags is important, single stack, or double stack. You start with the basics to rule out possibilities. It's my experience this makes a difference with the Glock magazines once they are used. Other issues? Well, I ran across a possible issue at the range a couple of years ago with the WWB 45acp 100ct bulk. Box top glue drippings that might have caused an issue had I not been observant. Take a look and guess at what might have become an issue here:

You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic174 View Post

OK, Federal is pretty decent stuff. Absent anything like the glue that Ram Rod shows, you can probably move ammo off the list of likely suspects. Mags are not normal suspects for Glock problems, but next time you shoot make a point to expose both mags to the same duty so you can isolate a problem which might be mag-related.

I would strip your gun down as you would (or did) for cleaning, remove the barrel, and look carefully at the chamber. If it's clean, drop a fresh round in and see if it seems to seat to full depth. If you have an empty case from a round fired in this gun, drop that into the chamber next and see if it actually slides in all the way or if you have to push it in to seat it. If the latter is true - you may have a tighter-than-normal chamber. Look closely at the chamber with a good light and some magnification to check for any burrs or chips, and run the tip of your pinky in there as well to see if you feel any roughness.

If those checks don't indicate a tight or rough chamber, then look at the extractor. Does it look intact? Slide a round or an empty case on the breechface so that the extractor grabs the rim. Hold that interface up to the light - does the extractor hook seem to have enough purchase on the rim? Does the rim seem too thick for the extractor to get a good grip on the case rim? The extractor hook should actually be a little "sloppy" fit onto the rim, so that the fresh round from the magazine slides up under the hook easily. With the round in the chamber and the slide fully in battery, ideally there will be a small clearance between the hook and the rim (which of course you can't see).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Those aren't jams... Those are speed-bumps in the road to perfection.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

I also have my glock 23 which is a few years and for sure a few thousand rounds old. It seems to run/fire/shoot/cycle flawlessly. Is that because it broken in? Does the 36 just need to be broken in real good?
    Drew Steele NREMT-P
    Kimber Custom 2 TLE
    Glock 23
    Glock 36
    Sig 229
    Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    A while back, I read an thread about the 36 having just the problem you describe. The author thought he figured out what the problem was.

Apparently, in the G36 he said, because of the ramp angle or the height of the cartridge in the magazine it's possible that as the spent cartridge is extracted, the head of that cartridge can get hung up on the lip (mouth) of the new cartridge in the mag, if that cartridge has a slight bell in the case mouth. This will cause failure to extract.

He suggested you check all ammo for belling of case mouth, or even running it through a taper crimp die.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Links