Taurus 709 Slim - extractor question

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 Slim - extractor question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read that Taurus has fixed the FTE issue on the 709 with a new extractor. Does anyone know what serial number they started to ...

Thread: Taurus 709 Slim - extractor question

Question Taurus 709 Slim - extractor question

I read that Taurus has fixed the FTE issue on the 709 with a new extractor. Does anyone know what serial number they started to make the change so that I make sure to purchase one that has the new extractor already in place? Or is there an easy way to check for the newer version of extractor?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Don't know, but Taurus will send you a replacement extractor for free if you tell them you have FTEs or you broke yours.
    Lifetime NRA member.

Quote Originally Posted by XDOwner View Post
    Don't know, but Taurus will send you a replacement extractor for free if you tell them you have FTEs or you broke yours.
    This is what I would do, just in case. I've got 1,000 flawless rounds through mine (I bought it in November of last year, so it isn't a later model) and haven't had any issues. I am going to request another extractor just to have as a backup.

One word of caution on the broken/damaged extractors. Never manually feed a round into the chamber. Always load the chamber from the magazine. These are fixed extractors and slamming the slide into a chambered round will guarantee a broken or damaged extractor.

On another note, if you use Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Defense, the rounds will extract and eject even with a broken (or in my experiment a completely removed) extractor. The loaded chamber indicator grabs the lip on the case and effectively extracts and then ejects (because of the shape of the lip on the case of these rounds). Hornady CD feeds reliably and ejects reliably even without the extractor.

My anecdotal hypothesis is that a many a reported broken extractor was caused by manually feeding a round into the chamber. This gun is not designed for that practice. I've never done it with any semi-auto that I have, I always chamber a round from the mag by racking the slide. The best method IMO is to lock the slide back, insert the loaded mag, and then release the slide (rather than racking and riding the slide with your hand).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks BugDude, great advice; I'm looking forward to a new purchase in the near future.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    On another note, if you use Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Defense, the rounds will extract and eject even with a broken (or in my experiment a completely removed) extractor. The loaded chamber indicator grabs the lip on the case and effectively extracts and then ejects (because of the shape of the lip on the case of these rounds). Hornady CD feeds reliably and ejects reliably even without the extractor.
    Were you just cycling the slide or actually firing? I was getting just as many FTEs with Gold Dot as I was with range ammo when my extractor was broken. And it wasn't completely broken, it just had a small chip broken off.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Thanks for the heads up on the replacement.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Were you just cycling the slide or actually firing? I was getting just as many FTEs with Gold Dot as I was with range ammo when my extractor was broken. And it wasn't completely broken, it just had a small chip broken off.
    Interesting... I'm the one who broke my extractor and even with it broken the Gold Dots were flawless. Just goes to show...
    Lifetime NRA member.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I cycled and fired Hornady CDs with the extractor removed with no FTEs. Another poster on here had no FTEs with a broken extractor (actually broken off) firing Gold Dots. I haven't personally fired the Gold Dots in mine without the extractor, but he did. I can go back and find the post and let you know who it was so you can ask him about it (which one, grain, +P, etc.).

After he posted his experience with the Gold Dots, I did my experiment with my carry rounds, the CDs.

PS. It was XDOwner above ^^^^^
    Last edited by BugDude; May 14th, 2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added last line
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I called to request an extractor as I thought that might be one of the reasons I was having so many FTEs & he said sure, just send in your old one first.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Links