Recommendations for Ankle Carry / Daily CCW

This is a discussion on Recommendations for Ankle Carry / Daily CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Everyone...my first post so sorry for my noob'ness. I am looking to finalize my thoughts on guns to seek out for my daily CCW. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Ankle Carry / Daily CCW

Recommendations for Ankle Carry / Daily CCW

Hi Everyone...my first post so sorry for my noob'ness.

I am looking to finalize my thoughts on guns to seek out for my daily CCW. The problem is I work in a business casual to full-suit environment and well I'm on the heavy/husky side so I know none of the IWB options will work for me because they'll print for sure when I am sitting. I literally tried it by sticking various things down my pants (lol) to simulate how a gun would sit in an IWB holster and my friend said he could see it no problem.

As such, I have decided that while at work I want to carry ankle and during casual I will carry in a Crossbreed.

I currently have a CZ 75b in nickel that I LOVE forever and will never ever ever ever get rid of because it is dead-ass reliable, accurate, and from my first time shooting it I instantly felt at home with it. This gun is going to be my home defense and range pistol because I trust it to fire every time I pull the trigger (well when there's ammo in it). Because the CZ is so heavy and full-size, obviously I can't use it for CCW in the scenario I wrote above...so I need another gun.

My needs:
    1. Something small enough to carry in an ankle holster but big enough to accommodate all 4 fingers...I don't like shooting small guns with my pinky hanging off...this means I don't mind using a mag that accomodates the pinky or a butt-plate for the mag.
    2. A gun with DA/SA conventional style action...I don't like shooting Glocks because of the trigger.
    3. A gun with a traditional thumb safety...I am skittish in regards to drawing and pulling the trigger especially since I am new to CCW.
    4. High-Reliability
    5. 9mm Ammo...I only stock 9mm in my safe and would like to stay two just a couple calibers that I have to always look for...though I guess I could run one more caliber like .380 or .45

So far I have considered:
    A. Walther PPS (though I can't tell from pictures if it has a thumb safety).
    B. CZ 2075 RAMI
    C. Beretta PX4 Compact
    D. S&W Pro Series 1911 in 3"

All input is highly appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

S&W Airweight J-frame or Ruger LCR, stock up on some quality .38spl ammo.
    I carry a custom 9mm S&W scandium j-frame in an ankle holster 4 days a week. I wouldn't even try to carry your choices in an ankle holster, too heavy and too bulky IMO.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by bpang1 View Post
    Hi Everyone...my first post so sorry for my noob'ness.

I am looking to finalize my thoughts on guns to seek out for my daily CCW. The problem is I work in a business casual to full-suit environment and well I'm on the heavy/husky side so I know none of the IWB options will work for me because they'll print for sure when I am sitting. I literally tried it by sticking various things down my pants (lol) to simulate how a gun would sit in an IWB holster and my friend said he could see it no problem.

As such, I have decided that while at work I want to carry ankle and during casual I will carry in a Crossbreed.

I currently have a CZ 75b in nickel that I LOVE forever and will never ever ever ever get rid of because it is dead-ass reliable, accurate, and from my first time shooting it I instantly felt at home with it. This gun is going to be my home defense and range pistol because I trust it to fire every time I pull the trigger (well when there's ammo in it). Because the CZ is so heavy and full-size, obviously I can't use it for CCW in the scenario I wrote above...so I need another gun.

My needs:
    1. Something small enough to carry in an ankle holster but big enough to accommodate all 4 fingers...I don't like shooting small guns with my pinky hanging off...this means I don't mind using a mag that accomodates the pinky or a butt-plate for the mag.
    2. A gun with DA/SA conventional style action...I don't like shooting Glocks because of the trigger.
    3. A gun with a traditional thumb safety...I am skittish in regards to drawing and pulling the trigger especially since I am new to CCW.
    4. High-Reliability
    5. 9mm Ammo...I only stock 9mm in my safe and would like to stay two just a couple calibers that I have to always look for...though I guess I could run one more caliber like .380 or .45

So far I have considered:
    A. Walther PPS (though I can't tell from pictures if it has a thumb safety).
    B. CZ 2075 RAMI
    C. Beretta PX4 Compact
    D. S&W Pro Series 1911 in 3"

All input is highly appreciated!
    Walther PPS would be possible but still kinda big for a ankle carry gun. Honestly, anything with a full four finer grip I think is going to be to big for a ankle gun. The Rami and the PX4 I really think are to thick. My two suggestions would be to look at the Glock 36 (Which you ruled out glock) or a Kel Tec Pf9 (But you rulled out guns with no saftey). Id then say try a wheel gun but you want something DA/SA so honestly... I have no clue. Sorry
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I am flexible on the safety...I just have to become more accustomed to it.

Maybe if I got something thin I could still do the IWB...when I mocked things up it was more based on my CZ's thickness versus that of something like the PPS. Maybe if it was like totally at the center of the back it would be ok.

I am flexible on the safety...I just have to become more accustomed to it.

Maybe if I got something thin I could still do the IWB...when I mocked things up it was more based on my CZ's thickness versus that of something like the PPS. Maybe if it was like totally at the center of the back it would be ok.
    I would say the PF9 your best bet for flexibility then. It's light and thin enough that your could wear it on the ankle or IWB. It doesn't have a safety however it has a heavy double action trigger. I know you said you would prefer DA/SA but thats just not something that your going to find on a pistol with the specs that you want.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If you are a large build man it may be very difficult to access an ankle gun. If you are determined to carry on your ankle you want to carry on the opposite ankle of your strong side. Right handed carry on the left inside ankle. Any airweight 5 shot revolver would work for you but I would really like it if you could carry on your waist.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I would say the PF9 your best bet for flexibility then. It's light and thin enough that your could wear it on the ankle or IWB. It doesn't have a safety however it has a heavy double action trigger. I know you said you would prefer DA/SA but thats just not something that your going to find on a pistol with the specs that you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    If you are a large build man it may be very difficult to access an ankle gun. If you are determined to carry on your ankle you want to carry on the opposite ankle of your strong side. Right handed carry on the left inside ankle. Any airweight 5 shot revolver would work for you but I would really like it if you could carry on your waist.
    Yeah I may be barking up the wrong tree for the ankle thing. Reaching the ankle is no problem both seated and standing...I'm still flexible from my college sports days...just more of me HA HA HA. I didn't know that my choices were too big for the ankle...never really looked at how guns sit in ankle holsters since this idea is new to my thought process.

What about this?

BODYGUARD 380 - Smith & Wesson

Never even heard of this S&W model.

For DAO pistols, do you guys just not rack them before holstering and just train to rack them if you have to draw? I'll obviously be taking classes for CCW after I get my permit.

Yeah I may be barking up the wrong tree for the ankle thing. Reaching the ankle is no problem both seated and standing...I'm still flexible from my college sports days...just more of me HA HA HA. I didn't know that my choices were too big for the ankle...never really looked at how guns sit in ankle holsters since this idea is new to my thought process.

What about this?

BODYGUARD 380 - Smith & Wesson

Never even heard of this S&W model.

For DAO pistols, do you guys just not rack them before holstering and just train to rack them if you have to draw? I'll obviously be taking classes for CCW after I get my permit.
    To the best of my knowledge the S&W body guards arent available yet and if they are I haven't actually seen one. Theres no reason you can't carry with a round in the chamber when carrying a double action pistol. The trigger pulls are heavy enough that with a proper holster you don't have to worry about a ND/AD. In other word, the gun isnt going off unless you pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I've owned two PF-9's (traded away due to small trigger guards, can't fit a gloved finger in there) and in my experience the trigger pull is, while long, very light and smooth. In fact, in the right environment, I might consider the PF-9 to be a viable alternative to a small, light revolver fo ankle carry.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Throw a Ruger LCP or LCR in your front pocket and call it a day.
    Proud NRA member

I've gotta second the pf-9. I ankle carry mine nearly every day in a desantis. it's mostly forgotten. Long DA means you gotta want it to "go off".I was also initially apprehensive about no safety, but now that I'm used to it , SA guns take more thought. Your finger is the safety.
    My pf-9 may look and feel somewhat crude compared to other more expensive weapons, but is one of the few (for me at least) to never hiccup in over 1K rounds.

I was alittle aphrensive(speld rong:) the first time i went DA. bUT AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A QUALITY HOLSTER, be it ankle, waist or pocket, there is almost no chance of a discharge unless you do something wrong.

Just like a revolver as far as trigger pull. They don't have a safety either. Practice makes perfect.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    If you're large, you would be surprised how well you can conceal with a proper holster. Snugged in tight, the grip displaces the 'roll' and you still have roughly the same silhouette. The skinny folks are the ones who have a rougher time, actually. I'm not sure how large you are (I'm 6'4" and ~400), but my experience may apply.

Or consider a SmartCarry (use the search function to find all sorts of threads discussing them): I made my own (hint: the real ones are a lot better and are worth it) and carried a Ruger SP101 357 5-shot revolver in the appendix position very nicely. My 'roll' was the retention device, which sounds gross but worked - my main criteria. You may find that you can carry a bigger/better weapon quite comfortably.

Note that this can be overdone: a large guy was arrested last year and spent a day in jail before delivering his handgun to the jailer. Seems the three searches they did of him didn't include all of the folds...

And sure, I'd like to lose weight, but I'm working with what I've got.

----

Welcome to the forum, too!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

How about a Kahr MK9 with the 7-round mags? Single stack, striker fired, slim
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

After carrying Kel Tec PF9 in Galco ankle holster I came to understand that anything larger would be non workable for me.

Went to a smaller CC pistol, Kel Tec P3AT and ir works much better than larger pistol in ankle holster.

Thought I would never like a smaller short grip pistol but after a good bit of range time it has become a good shooter for me.

Everybody I know who CC daily has a box full of holsters and some have a good number of carry pistols just because our ideals change as to what is right for us to carry.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links