PM9 as a first gun?

PM9 as a first gun?

This is a discussion on PM9 as a first gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GM The PM9 is a beautiful gun and I cannot more than recommend it, but I do not consider that it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

PM9 as a first gun?

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    The PM9 is a beautiful gun and I cannot more than recommend it, but I do not consider that it is a good first gun; I do not thing that you can master a PM9 if you only shoot it only once in a while. However, you will hardly find a reliable 9mm that is easier to conceal than the PM9 (and that shoots for +p ammo too).
    I'm using GM's quote here as a starter rather than hijacking the original thread, hoping for his and other comments.

My daughter has been shooting occasionally for a few years, has been through the CCW course, shot in an IDPA match, and spent an hour with Instructor Joe Studly (a SWAT officer moonlighting at the range... it's OK, I was supervising). So she's not QUITE a newbie... but I doubt she's shot more than twice in the last nine months (transportation and time for range trips is difficult at school).

So... what do you all think of the PM9 as a first carry pistol for her?

GM, would you please elaborate? What are the concerns she should address if she chooses this weapon?

Note, since it's sure to come up: I will certainly not push her towards it against her preferences. But it seems to match her requirements for size and my desire for her to have more than a 380, so I've had it on my short "be sure to consider' list for her. I'm posting this as a question on a specific model so I can provide the responses to her for her use as she makes her choice.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

It would be one that would meet her size requirements, but perhaps not her shooting requirements.

Has she shot a PM9? If not, I suggest she do that first. Then have her shoot some guns that are larger in size, but still comparable, like the Sig 239, CZ 75B Compact, and the Glock 26.

Shooting the guns would give her a basis to form an opinion. My wife, new shooter, selected a Glock 19 as her first gun, but it's primary duty is for Home Defense, as she finds it too hard to conceal. After she gets some more shooting time under her belt we will start looking at a carry gun for her.

I personally won't carry any gun that I'm not willing to take a three or four day shooting class with. It may not be my most comfortable to shoot gun, but I am willing to dedicate the time on the Range to shooting it. The PM9 is not a bad carry/shooting gun for someone with expirience, but maybe not for a beginner.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Has she shot a PM9? If not, I suggest she do that first. Then have her shoot some guns that are larger in size, but still comparable, like the Sig 239, CZ 75B Compact, and the Glock 26.
    I personally won't carry any gun that I'm not willing to take a three or four day shooting class with....
    She hasn't shot any of them: that's a Daddy-Daughter Date for next weekend, I hope. BugDude has offered to let her shoot his Taurus Slim, I think I can borrow a pal's KelTec PF9, and one of the staff at a local gun shop has a PM9 - I'm betting he'll take a few bucks for the trouble and will let her shoot out the back door (we're in the country). We'll also be hitting the local range which rents guns. If she finds one that fits but we can't shoot, I'll post here in hopes that someone in this corner of the state might have one she could fire.

The shooting class would be marvelous, but is probably out of our budget. How much would one of these classes run, would you think? I'm guessing that with meals hotel and ammo we're likely over $1000.

The PM9 is an excellent choice for your daughter or anyone else.
    Small, light, reliable, smooth trigger, 3"barrel, good sights, very accurate, shoots any 9mm load.. what's not to like? Not cheap but worth it the money.

I carry mine occasionally and load it w/ ranger 127 +P+.

I you get one, don't forget it takes a 200 rd. break in, then good to go.

the PM9 was a nice shot for me and I am a small guy, she should try it before she buys it if she can. It is going to be my second gun (pocket gun)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I was pleasantly surprised on how easy and accurate it was to shoot. I started the 200 round break in with 100 rounds FMJ and 50 rounds JHP with no problems with the gun or recoil. 25 rounds was all I wanted to shoot with my J Frame. I would also note, not for everyone, but I have only fired this gun strong hand. I feel these small guns are easier to handle like that IMO.

Might also try out a P9, only slightly larger and with less recoil.
    Love mine. My wife loves it too, she can really shoot this one well without flinching over the recoil.
    Last edited by rich cheese; May 15th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I can only speculate that GM meant that a PM9 is not a range gun. Most people, especially new shooters, wouldn't want to sit at the range and go through 200 rounds in a single sitting. Since it's not exactly a fun gun to shoot, the chances of someone practicing with one are significantly lower than a easier to fire gun. Also, hand someone a PM9 for the first gun they have shot, and it might turn them off of shooting all together.

This was just my guess.

Also want her to look at the CW9, of course.

The PM9 is not a good "first" gun choice IMHO especially for a woman. The CW9 also has more recoil than she will probably like...P9 would be better...the K9 having the least felt recoil (but all metal and heavier). Kahr's are known to be more difficult for a woman to rack the slides on...I like them myself however...The Walther PPS9 (not the 40) has the least felt recoil that I have found for a single stack 9.
    It may also be the most reliable, accurate, and durable in its class...You'll find the Kel-tecs are pretty harsh with felt recoil (relatively speaking) and are not recommended (by the manufacturer) for extended range time with +p ammo (which brings into question their durability for me, but is necessary if you are going to conceal carry at all). Kel-tecs and Taurus are some of the lowest cost in their class, but thats where you hve to decide what your life is worth...mine and my family's was worth spending a few hundred more...

The PM9 is a little more maintenance intensive than say a Glock or a Sig. It is an excellent handgun, but it is known to be tempramental if not taken care of like it likes. Lubed properly, broken in etc. My fiancee has been looking at small 9mm pistols for her first carry piece. She likes the feel of the PM9, but I would be hard pressed to let her land on it for her first piece. I would look towards a G26, or like one of the other posters said a P9, or CW9. Maybe even a Walther PPS.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'll add my support for the P9/CW9. That's a compact gun and in spite of its light weight, the recoil is quite modest. For my average-guy-sized hands, it offers a narrow grip but one which includes the pinky without resorting to mag extensions and appurtenances, unlike brand G. My guess is that it would be a good fit for a female hand. The sights are decent, and as a DAO the manual of arms is as simple as it gets.

Back to GM's original comments, I'll speculate that his intent was simply that compact guns are not ideal for any beginner. Short barrels equate to short sight radius and reduced ability for beginners to hit what they aim at, plus of course the recoil and muzzle flip problems with the serious caliber guns. How many times have we heard .38 snubbies recommended for women because they're compact and light? But we all know that a .38 snub is the opposite, almost an expert's gun because of the short barrel.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would also look at the Walther PPS if it were me.

While being slightly larger than the Kahr PM9 it may be something that would be more enjoyable to train with for some. Also, with the different magazines the amount of gun your hand can get a purchase on will differ.

Biker

GM
    If your daughter never has shot a PM9 I recommend shooting one before getting it. I consider that Biker gave you a very good advice, if she has not shot a PM9, then have her shoot some guns that are larger in size, but still comparable, like the Sig 239, CZ 75B Compact, and the Glock 26". Small and lightweight pocket guns look very cute and are very easy to carry, but sometimes people do not think about what they really imply.
    I am not a Glock freak at all, but Glocks use to be reliable and easy to use. Although not a sub, I should suggest her to try the G19 too. Lately I have been looking at the Walther PPS; the first generation had some problems, but the new ones appear to be very good guns.

I use to shoot a friend’s PM9 and he shoots my MK9 Elite; the MK9 is basically the same pistol but in stainless steel and for that reason heavier (24 ounces vs. 15.9 ounces); it also has a better trigger and less recoil than the PM9. Both guns have about 3000-4000 rounds on them, and they have always worked flawless (I am ignoring the break-in periods). He had some feeding problems after the break-in period and then he sent it back to Kahr once, but after that it has worked flawless.

The PM9 is a very lightweight and very small gun, and because of it some people have problem with the recoil. Although I think it is easy to manage, the recoil is sharp and it is even worse when using +p ammo. Now, the recoil can be a subjective matter. It is very easy to like your own gun too much, and to disregard what doing that implies. I do not have problems with the PM9's recoil, and I do believe that the PM9 has not too bad recoil considering its size and weight, but I know people that do. And stating that a poly gun that has 3" barrel, weights only 15.9 ounces unloaded and shoots 9mm +p almost does not have recoil is IMO being a little too optimistic. No, I do not think that the PM9 is an excellent choice for anyone. To get use to the trigger can take a little while; I had problems with my MK9 Elite’s trigger although it is better than the PM9’s trigger. Also to consider is that, because the PM9's reduced size and weight, limp wristing can happen.

You will read on the Internet about a lot of people that complain about how difficult chambering a PM9 or MK9 is. Well, IMO that happens because they do not read the manual and do not follow the instructions. The manual clearly states “Pull the slide fully to the rear and lock it back using the Slide Stop. Next push down on the Slice Stop to chamber the first round in to the barrel. Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery.” However, if done right it works very well to chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting it go of. The recoil spring is about 18 lb, and because of the gun's reduced size and weight it feels heavier. You will also read about people that complain about the quality of the PM9 because they had a kaboom when using unknown reloaded ammo; how smart is that?

I like the MK9 better than the PM9. The PM9 is a very nice carry pistol, but you have to spend time with it. Just my 2 cents
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The tendency for new shooters with the PM9 is to limp wrist it and they get the resultant stove pipe. If it is to be for self defense, that would be my primary concern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links