Proper controls for recoil experiments

This is a discussion on Proper controls for recoil experiments within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Daughter will be trying on a variety of weapons, and some folks have kindly offered to let her fire theirs. This means that she'll fire ...

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Daughter will be trying on a variety of weapons, and some folks have kindly offered to let her fire theirs. This means that she'll fire one here, drive, fire the next, go to the range and rent several... it will not be side-by-side/back-and-forth.

Seems the trick would be to take a 'control' or 'standard' or two with you, so you could fire one of the standards, the test weapon, then the other standard (for instance) and rank the test weapon against the others for recoil/discomfort/second shot capability. Another possibility would be a semi-auto with several different magazines, each with a different load. You would jot down your comments, drive, and repeat the test with the new test weapon. My thinking is you would be a lot better at ranking against two other weapons during that session, rather than trying to remember what it felt like an hour or two ago.

We're looking at small, light, single-stack 9mm and tiny 380 options.

So what would you suggest as standards which would help bracket the tests (weapon and loads)? I have access to an SP-101 (suggesting 38s and 357s), an older S&W full-sized 9mm, a Bersa 380cc and possibly a PF9.

Or am I overthinking this?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I think you're overthinking this. I'm sure she'll remember which guns she didn't like quite distinctly. You could always start with a .357 as the first gun. Everything after that will seem quite tame.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    ... You could always start with a .357 as the first gun. Everything after that will seem quite tame.
    Yeah, maybe... I handed my wife a Dirty Harry revolver at a gun shop once: she nearly dropped it. I'm sure glad I didn't have her fire it!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Having a control gun is a good idea, and so is taking notes.

Without a control gun, numerous factors can alter her analysis, such as time between guns, general fatigue as the day wears on, losing interest...

If possible, I'd try to use the same ammo when shooting guns of the same caliber.

Other than that, a control gun (shooting .38s would be better IMO than .357s because the .357 will likely be so hot) and taking notes are good ideas.

Links