sig p239 vs. walther pps

This is a discussion on sig p239 vs. walther pps within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i currently edc a sig p239 but now that summer has arrived here in the south. the p239 is a little heavy for south mississippi ...

Thread: sig p239 vs. walther pps

sig p239 vs. walther pps

i currently edc a sig p239 but now that summer has arrived here in the south. the p239 is a little heavy for south mississippi summer attire. is the weight differance enough to justify buying the pps. i really do not like all the pocket guns seeing i have fairly big hands and can not get a good grip on the pocket pistols. anyone have any helpfull info on what i can look at other than the pps.

2. Remove Ads

Look at the Kahr CW9. It's got 7+1 capacity; it's simple to operate, light, easy to get a grip on with large mitts, accurate, reliable, and THIN. My CW9 is fast becoming my most often carried weapon.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Look at the Kahr CW9. It's got 7+1 capacity; it's simple to operate, light, easy to get a grip on with large mitts, accurate, reliable, and THIN. My CW9 is fast becoming my most often carried weapon.
    I have a CW9 and share the same experience. It's a very easy gun to carry, extremely thin and light...check it out. I live in Florida and carry it most often in summer.

FWIW: I had a Sig 239 and just never liked carrying it, because to me it seemed heavy and bulky even though it really isn't, but to me it felt that way. I sold it 2 weeks ago.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have a PPS in .40 S&W. It is currently the only pistol I have and I enjoy wearing it here in SC (really hot and humid) with a good IWB holster and gun belt. The weight of the pistol and its compactness make it really easy to carry in various positions.

I would recommend that you try and rent one or borrow one from a friend to shoot. I have a friend with bigger hands who did not like the grip for the same reasons you don't like the pocket guns even with the extended grip mag which holds 6 rounds. the 7 round mag has a bigger grip extension.

The holster I carry with is a high noon split decision with an AG custom gun leather belt. I generally carry at the 4:00 position. I ordered a tucker cover up plus and will probably carry appendix as well since with that holster I can adjust the cant.

As far as the smaller weight being a factor making it worth forking out the money for one. Only you can make that decision. I would not be the best person to ask since I generally don't care about cost when it comes to purchases like this (its great being young and single with disposable income).

Best of Luck with finding what you are looking for.

I carry a PPS 9MM also in a HignNoon Split decision and really like the gun. Over 5000 rounds shot through it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuz7311 View Post
    i currently edc a sig p239 but now that summer has arrived here in the south. the p239 is a little heavy for south mississippi summer attire. is the weight differance enough to justify buying the pps. i really do not like all the pocket guns seeing i have fairly big hands and can not get a good grip on the pocket pistols. anyone have any helpfull info on what i can look at other than the pps.
    First I would retry a PPS with the large back-strap. Also make sure you are using an 8 rd mag with a finger extension.

If P239 is is too heavy but not too wide for you than you have a few more more options. Kahr, CZ Rami, Para Carry 9. Maybe Glock 26.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

thanks for all the suggestions i will try the pps when i get back in from the rig. and the p239 is fine size wise just a little heavy

VIP Member
    I've had both weapons and I'd take the SIG every time! I carry a 1911 IWB in very hot weather and it's not that bad at all so a 239 would be light in comparison. I think you need a new holster, not a new gun.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Question weight difference

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I have a CW9 and share the same experience. It's a very easy gun to carry, extremely thin and light...check it out. I live in Florida and carry it most often in summer.

FWIW: I had a Sig 239 and just never liked carrying it, because to me it seemed heavy and bulky even though it really isn't, but to me it felt that way. I sold it 2 weeks ago.

/
    So, weight wise how do you figure the Kahr is lighter to EDC???
    Glock 32 & 27
    Kimber Ultra & Crimson
    Ruger SR9c
    Kahr PM9
    Sig P238

DITTO

Quote Originally Posted by thumper View Post
    i've had both weapons and i'd take the sig every time! I carry a 1911 iwb in very hot weather and it's not that bad at all so a 239 would be light in comparison. I think you need a new holster, not a new gun.
    +1 ditto!
    Glock 32 & 27
    Kimber Ultra & Crimson
    Ruger SR9c
    Kahr PM9
    Sig P238

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by proscene View Post
    /
    The Kahr is considerably lighter that the Sig 239.

Kahr CW9 9mm 7+1 rd, Weight unloaded: 15.8 oz.
    Sig 239 9mm 8+1 rd, Weight unloaded 27.5 oz.

Kahr has a polymer frame w/ stamped steel slide.
    Sig has an alloy frame w/ milled S.S. slide

The Sig is much higher quality in every respect. Quality comes at price that some can not or will not pay for. A gen 2 Sig 239 with NS is going to be almost double the cost of the Kahr. The Sig weighs more but the extra weight helps compensate for recoil. It has a comfortable grip and grip angle that most find very comfortable to handle.

The Walther PPS is a handgun of comparable quality to the Sig 239 although it has a different feel being under 1" wide. That might take some getting used to for some.

As many have mentioned, when considering weight and overall summer vs. winter carry, the holster should not be overlooked.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proscene View Post
    /

As Sig P250 has already said, the Kahr is about 10 oz lighter. I don't know about you, but I consider it significant.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Links