10mm for CCW

10mm for CCW

This is a discussion on 10mm for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; O.K. y'all, I know I'm going to open up a can of worms here but I have a serious question. What's the general attitude for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm for CCW

10mm for CCW

O.K. y'all, I know I'm going to open up a can of worms here but I have a serious question. What's the general attitude for 10mm for CCW? I have read several forums that bash the round as entirely too powerful (they cite over-penetration concerns for defensive hand gunning) and yet others that say that it is a balanced round and viable for CCW. I know it is all opinion based thus completely subjective to each person but is there any PD's that have used it in shootings and chronicled it somewhere that you may know about? Does anyone have any links to pics of ballistic gel tests that compares and contrasts to popular big bore calibers because I just can't find any.

Let the debate begin!

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

youngda9, I saw that pic on other forums and each stated that this pic is suspect at best.

Senior Moderator
    Yep...that picture has the nuclear fireball added to the 10mm.

With that being said, I think it is an excellent round.

Sure, you have to watch where you are shooting, but you do the same with a .22 dont you?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you look at some of the historic surveys here on DC about what people carry for defensive handguns, you will find even .44 magnums. You have to decide what works for you in your circumstances.

The 10mm is clearly more powerful than the other common defense calibers, but it's also not a death ray. If I was an elevator operator concerned with my personal safety on the job, no, I definitely would not carry a 10mm with full-power ammo, or even a .357. Conversely, if my hiking took me into mountain lion territory, I'd be looking for something with more oomph than a .38 Special.

I would not recommend a 10mm for someone looking for a single defensive handgun, simply because it's a powerful round with a lot of bang, recoil and muzzle flip (depending, of course, on the specific gun), and the fact that the round is likely to "over" penetrate a human body at close range. But for the experienced handgunner who knows what he/she is doing and can competently handle powerful handguns, I see no reason to dissuade them from getting one and carrying it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

So being that the FBI seems to recognize that most defensive hand gunning occurs at 7meters or less, 10mm is generally recognized as having too much gas?

If you call upon it and it works---- then it is not too much gun.

If you can't control it, it is too much gun, If it doesn't stop the threat it is not enough gun.

It is an excellent choice. For those who say it has too much recoil, they either have not tried it, or are very sensitive. Full power loads out of the G20 are as easy to shoot as a g19, or g23. And remember recoil is a subjective thing. The 10mm in my opinion, outclasses the other popular self defense cartridge/caliber due to its ability to do everything, from SD, to hunting, to outdoor protection against aggressive animals. Actually, when you think about all the advantages of the 10mm, why would you want anything else? Unless you also want a pocket pistol, which is the only thing it does not excel at. With a glock 20, you can buy additional barrels for the 9x25, 357 sig, 40s&w and 50 caliber, turning one gun into 5 for just the price of the barrels. I say go for it as an SD carry gun and never look back!

Quote Originally Posted by afcarpenter View Post
    So being that the FBI seems to recognize that most defensive hand gunning occurs at 7meters or less, 10mm is generally recognized as having too much gas?
    nope. it's designed to do one thing and that's destroy a target (being PC about it). Just as was 9mm, .45acp, .40sw, .44mag, .357mag, etc etc

If you shoot it well and want some oomph to your CCW then a 10mm is A-OK!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

10mm for CCW

I think the 10mm would be fine if you can control it. The big reason it fell out of popularity was the large size of the weapons available initially.

The part I'm skeptical about is the availability and price of ammo, same reason I rarely shoot 357SIG.
    Knowing is half the battle.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    That jel photo is the new Hornady 10mm thermonuclear SD round. Just hit close, then "duck and cover!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I would keep looking. I've shot the 10mm a few times and I think that its fine for the range but when for SD, it sucked. Can't even think about carrying it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

There are SD rounds loaded closer to 40 S&W. The 10 mm has the ability to be loaded to cover a wide varity of needs. If you hand load ammo availibilty won't be a problem.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The avalibility of ammo for the 10 is a mute point, unless you only shop at walmart. Then again, you won't find any of the finer things in life at Wally world. There is an abundance of full power ammo out there if you shop online or have access to a good stocking gunstore.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The avalibility of ammo for the 10 is a mute point, unless you only shop at walmart. Then again, you won't find any of the finer things in life at Wally world. There is an abundance of full power ammo out there if you shop online or have access to a good stocking gunstore.
    I don't know of any local place that stocks 10mm or .357sig. Just online
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links