LCP .380 as a primary?

This is a discussion on LCP .380 as a primary? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the LCP in my pocket anytime I can't carry my SR9c. I want one of the ProMag 10 or 15 round mags to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LCP .380 as a primary?

I have the LCP in my pocket anytime I can't carry my SR9c. I want one of the ProMag 10 or 15 round mags to have as a reload. No one wants to be shot, even with a .380 or even a .17 for that matter, so anything you WILL carry is better than having nothing at all.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Depending on my work of the day, I often carry my LCP as a primary. I feel comfortable with it. Then again I shot it alot and have a lot of confidence in it.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I prefer a larger caliber but have carried my LCP as a primary many times. With 2 mags and Hornady Crit. Def...I feel safe!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    I feel bad for jumping into yet another caliber discussion. I'm a .380 fan for daily carry because of ease of concealment and comfort, also for low recoil--at least with my particular handgun.

OTOH, when the " dawgs" woke us up 1:30 A.M. this morning, it wasn't the .380 I grabbed, it was the .40. (Never did figure out what caused the problem as they typically sleep quietly all night.)

You just have to pick what works for you based on the situation, your need to conceal, your ability to control the recoil etc.

Whatever works.

I purchased my LCP just to carry occasionally when running to the store or some short errands. I am a 45 guy and that's what I have carried mostly over the years, along with about all of the other major calibers. Like I said I bought the LCP for occasional carry, and guess what? I carry it now everyday everywhere, no need to go into the reasons why, everyone already knows the answer to that. Do I feel under gunned? No I think the 380 at close defensive ranges with the great ammo choices we have now days will get the job done and/or by me enough time to get out of the situation.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I feel bad for jumping into yet another caliber discussion. I'm a .380 fan for daily carry because of ease of concealment and comfort, also for low recoil--at least with my particular handgun.

OTOH, when the " dawgs" woke us up 1:30 A.M. this morning, it wasn't the .380 I grabbed, it was the .40. (Never did figure out what caused the problem as they typically sleep quietly all night.)

You just have to pick what works for you based on the situation, your need to conceal, your ability to control the recoil etc.

Whatever works.
    Good post! I have a 9mm on my side of the bed and the wife has a 38 on her side. If I were awaken at 0x:00AM, I would be reaching for the 9, not the 380. We have a set routine for home invasion. In the field, there is no set routine...

At home we know the extent of where the most danger lies (entry points). In the field, it's anyone's guess.

A 380 highly conceiled and easily available beats a large mostly hidden, difficult to get to weapon.

At home, I have the advantage. In the field, I don't.

Best!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
    I purchased my LCP just to carry occasionally when running to the store or some short errands. I am a 45 guy and that's what I have carried mostly over the years, along with about all of the other major calibers. Like I said I bought the LCP for occasional carry, and guess what? I carry it now everyday everywhere, no need to go into the reasons why, everyone already knows the answer to that. Do I feel under gunned? No I think the 380 at close defensive ranges with the great ammo choices we have now days will get the job done and/or by me enough time to get out of the situation.
    This has pretty much been my experience also. It drops in the pocket and disappears, if I have to put my Glock in the safe or glove box for some reason, the LCP stays in the pocket. A .380 isn't my first choice, but it'll do in a pinch.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Hi Pepsi,

1. Yes, I carry it as my primary.
    2. For the most part no.
    3. I bought mine almost a year ago.
    4. It has performed flawlessly so far.

Most of the time in the spring, summer, and fall, I'm wearing cargo shorts and the LCP is small enough and light enough that it's easy to carry all the time. I keep Hornady Critical Defense in the mag. I love the gun and can't recommend it enough. But like everyone else, in my home it would not be the first gun I'd grab.

Glock 19 is a better weapon

The Ruger LCP is a LDEW" last ditch effort weapon".I know many local gun shops would work a payment plan.The Glock 19 is just a better gun with a proven track record.Don't get me wrong the Ruger LCP is a good choice as a LDEW.All you need is some good +p 9mm ammo and a couple of 15 rnd mags and you're good to go.Be safe.

I carry my LCP all the time ... slips right into my front jeans pocket with a pocket holster. Bought the finger grip extension with the capacity for an extra round from impact guns for 13.00. Now my LCP fits my grip better and allows me 7+1 capacity.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Just picked up an LCP but have not had an opportunity to shoot it yet. I normally switch my EDC from a G23 to a G27 in summer to help with concealment. The LCP's primary role was to be as a BUG. However, depending on how comfortable I feel with it once I get a chance to put a couple hundred rounds through it, I may get sucked into it being my primary carry, at least some of the time.

Some of the posts here are making me feel like that is not a tremendously bad thing.
    NRA Life Member

Just remember...2-3 shots to the chest, followed (if needed) by 1-2 to the face, generally make all concerns over caliber and bullet design a moot point...

Since the slide does not lock back when empty on the LCP, you will want to practice doing a tactical reload - which means you should always carry a spare mag (or 2)...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I carry the LCP as a primary some, ease of carry is the main reason, they are great little guns.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    Hi everybody...

my question to those who have them,

1. do you carry it as ur primary or bug?
    Both. Most of the time it is my primary and only gun I carry (in my pocket, holstered). It's a long story, but I work mostly by myself, hardly see anyone. When I feel the need I carry a more appropriate CCW, but the LCP remains in my pocket, so it becomes a backup.

2. do u feel underguned with a .380 from the LCP
    Yes, of course.

3. is yours the one of the recently made ones?
    No, mine is older, and was on the recall list, sent it back, Ruger took care of "their" drop issue problem, and replaced the slide for me that was showing some rust from pocket carry humidity. No rust since and no problems.

4. how is the reliabilty on it? any malfunctions, jams etc?
    I think the reliability is fine, mine gets dirty in the holster, in my pocket. IT WILL FAIL TO FIRE IF TOO MUCH GRIME AND ESPECIALLY LINT BUILDS UP IN IT............KEEP IT CLEAN IT'LL BE FINE.

Thanks!
    I hope this helps, good luck with your decision
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

LCP .380 as a primary?
    Maybe with a 22LR as a backup?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links