LCP .380 as a primary? - Page 3

LCP .380 as a primary?

This is a discussion on LCP .380 as a primary? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife and I both carry Kel Tec P3ATs and are very happy with them. 380acpHP and with spare mag and one chambered you get 13 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LCP .380 as a primary?

Wife and I both carry Kel Tec P3ATs and are very happy with them.

380acpHP and with spare mag and one chambered you get 13 rounds.

It is a close range gun but we are not LEOs just folks with a CHL defending ourselves and love ones if needed.

If we loose ROL and 911 does not work we will move up to heaver caliber and firearms while P3ATs will become BUGs.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by gbball98 View Post
    Pepsi,

I bought my LCP about four months ago and have shot about 300 round through it with out a hitch. I carry as my primary and do not feel underguned in any way. It is very accurate, dependable and the perfect pocket gun. I would rather have a 380 that I can carry and forget about than a larger gun that gets heavy and uncomfortable.
    Couldn't have said it better

I carry my LCP very often, and sometimes as my only carry in "low risk" environments. However, I have concerns about the .380 stopping an angry 200+ lb man. Today I went to my girlfriend's and carried my LCP. I went from my house, to my truck, to her house. However, we decided to go for a ride to Wilkes-Barre and I realized I was not comfortable with only my LCP. Luckily I keep and M&P40 at her place so I took that along for the ride.

I guess I only feel comfortable carrying ONLY my LCP when I think I'm in a low risk environment.. which is actually unwise of me.. and after posting this may change from now on.
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

Again...if a 380 is the ONLY gun you can take, then I would not feel nekkid...BUT you have to really try to dress around the gun a bit and see if something larger might work.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I have a Ruger LCP and carry it every day.

Do I carry it as a Primary? No!

Why? Well, the the truth of the matter is the .380 is not considered to be a defensive round by almost all the experts.

Can the .380 get the job done? Absolutely! No question about it.

With some of the new modern loading in .380 acp it has certainly improved over the last 10 years.

Would I feel naked if I only carried a .380? No. And I have carried it as a primary, but that is on very rare occasions when I really don't have anything smaller in a major caliber.

But the bottom line is this. I want to carry a handgun in a caliber which is of major caliber which is considered by most experts and statistical information to have a best chance of stopping a threat with as few rounds as possible.

My primary carry guns are in 9mm, .40 cal, .45 acp, and .357 mag.

My back up guns are in 9mm, 38 spl, and last but not least .380 acp.

I consider the .380 the low end of adequate. I can expect better performance from all of the other calibers mentioned above.

So, because the .380 can work and has gotten better in the last 10 years, I'll feel just fine carrying it as a back up or even a 3rd gun.

As a primary? Only if I HAD to. It's better than relying on a knife in most cases and better than poking someone with a sharp stick.

This however is merely my opinion.
    This is my opinion also, But you know what they say about opinions!

.380 is marginal at best for primary carry, back up only for me and if my Dept. approved revolvers for back up thats what Id carry.
    Last edited by ron8903; May 17th, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for all the replys!

that really answered my questions, and more.

I have my CW9 covert in my briefcase and one of my .380s in my pocket pretty much all the time. Fact is, no caliber can be an effective one shot stop, so the proper mindset of, (if the duds worth one round he's probably worth a couple more) is worth putting into the equation. I have the LCP, DB380 and the Walther PPK, that being said, the .380 will do what it's been doing since 1908 and I'm sure it'll continue to be one of the most, if not the most popular CC pistol rounds for years to come. DO I feel under gunned? Only if I'm starring down the barrel of a much larger gun Fact is, it's a defensive tool and not a show down. If push comes to shove I doubt the BG is gonna ask me what caliber pistol I'm planning to shoot him with.

If you can afford or find a pocket 9mm then get it, it's just gravy, but IMO, being willing to fire that pistol at point of aim and knowing you'll most likely need more than one or two rounds negates the absolute need for a larger caliber. 10thmtn stated it perfectly IMO. Use ball if you're worried about penetration, and HPs for expansion. My suggestion, use Gold Dots in the summer and quality factory ball in the winter and carry a extra mag or two. In most cases you're well defended. If you're heading into the jungle, gun up, or carry two .380s. Good luck to ya in what ever your choice turns out to be.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Well considering most self defense encounters involving non LEO's such as a lot of us on here,the mere presence of a firearms in the hands of the would be victim stops the attack I'd say an LCP is fine. If you can shoot it well and feel comfortable with it,and will always have it with you (when ever legal) because of its small size and light weight,then your fine.

Its been said many times that a .22 in your hand beats a .45 in your truck. personally I'd have no issues carrying an LCP as a primary gun if it proved reliable and I could shoot it well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links