LCP .380 as a primary?

LCP .380 as a primary?

This is a discussion on LCP .380 as a primary? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everybody... so...i've been trying to save up for a G19, around 535 around my area.( i already bought two extra 15 rd magazines at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LCP .380 as a primary?

LCP .380 as a primary?

Hi everybody...

so...i've been trying to save up for a G19, around 535 around my area.( i already bought two extra 15 rd magazines at a gun show )

and everytime i save up, i end up having to spend the money on soemthing else, the other day, my tire blew out...so ima get two new tires...

so now im looking for a cheaper gun, and the LCP has caught my eye...their 300 in my area.

my question to those who have them,

1. do you carry it as ur primary or bug?

2. do u feel underguned with a .380 from the LCP

3. is yours the one of the recently made ones?

4. how is the reliabilty on it? any malfunctions, jams etc?

Thanks!

Thumbs up

Pepsi,

I bought my LCP about four months ago and have shot about 300 round through it with out a hitch. I carry as my primary and do not feel underguned in any way. It is very accurate, dependable and the perfect pocket gun. I would rather have a 380 that I can carry and forget about than a larger gun that gets heavy and uncomfortable.

thanks for the reply!

really seems like a good gun...

Do a search...the LCP has been discussed a lot!

Mine has become my primary most of the time. My needs are more "covert" than "concealed." The LCP in the pocket is small and light weight enough to be forgotten. Much as I love my Glocks, they are just not as comfortable to haul around all day.

One other advantage is that it can be always on you - from "pants on" in the morning to "PJs on" at night. Hard to do that with a larger handgun. Even if I just step outside for a few minutes...the LCP is there.

As far as caliber - you will read a lot of folks that dismiss the .380. The issue is that .380 has a hard time driving a bullet that BOTH expands AND penetrates 12-15 inches. The solution is easy enough - in winter (thick clothing) I use FMJ...in the summer I alternate FMJ with JHP. Problem solved.

PS - I paid $289 locally. A great bargain. Add the Crimson Trace laser (as funds allow) and the pinky extension (for better control).

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

LCP .380 as a primary?

My boss has Bersa 380ACP as his EDC. I imagine a LCP would be fine.

I considered one as my jogging CC, but I bought an LCR instead since I wanted a revolver too.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I am sure you have already heard the pros and cons of 380s. My opinion is that if you shoot it well enough it is fine under most circumstance.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Dr. Roberts discussing .380 vs .38spl for BUG use.

BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

Also worth reading while you are over there:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

.380 as a primary? No

I have a Ruger LCP and carry it every day.

Do I carry it as a Primary? No!

Why? Well, the the truth of the matter is the .380 is not considered to be a defensive round by almost all the experts.

Can the .380 get the job done? Absolutely! No question about it.

With some of the new modern loading in .380 acp it has certainly improved over the last 10 years.

Would I feel naked if I only carried a .380? No. And I have carried it as a primary, but that is on very rare occasions when I really don't have anything smaller in a major caliber.

But the bottom line is this. I want to carry a handgun in a caliber which is of major caliber which is considered by most experts and statistical information to have a best chance of stopping a threat with as few rounds as possible.

My primary carry guns are in 9mm, .40 cal, .45 acp, and .357 mag.

My back up guns are in 9mm, 38 spl, and last but not least .380 acp.

I consider the .380 the low end of adequate. I can expect better performance from all of the other calibers mentioned above.

So, because the .380 can work and has gotten better in the last 10 years, I'll feel just fine carrying it as a back up or even a 3rd gun.

As a primary? Only if I HAD to. It's better than relying on a knife in most cases and better than poking someone with a sharp stick.

This however is merely my opinion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Being so small, it is in fact and in effect a practicle useful weapon that you can really carry and conceal, especially in warmer weather, and hidden inside that fanny pack, with your radio and paperback book, that you have strapped onto the back of your bicycle handlebars, while you ride all along the bikeways between the towns and parks. It is not a fun gun and can hurt your trigger finger and hand, but it does what it does and is what it is, made for close range.

I really like mine. I was actually very surprised at how well I can hit with it considering the sights or lack thereof. I've had other folks shoot it as well, it's not just me, the little gun is accurate within the range guns of this type are intended to be used, and then some.

Pepsi, I have several glocks and a sig and even a big ol 1911. All of which I have carried one way or another... The LCP (is on my hip as we speak) is a great little gun and I love shooting it. I carry mine IWB with a cheap holster i got off ebay. Its leather and has molded nicely to my waist.

However, I have wondered more than once if it was enough gun. I dont think that way with a 40 or 45. But its like this: Wouldnt you be better off with some gun than no gun? Its useless to have a big fancy 4500 dollar wilson combat 1911 that sits on the desk. I really like my LCP and wouldnt want it as my only gun, but wouldnt want to be without it. By far the easiest to conceal. You can carry it where no one will ever even guess you have it. Heck...my wallet is bigger than the LCP...
    Drew Steele NREMT-P
    Kimber Custom 2 TLE
    Glock 23
    Glock 36
    Sig 229
    Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic174 View Post
    Pepsi, ... The LCP is a great little gun .

However, I have wondered more than once if it was enough gun. But its like this: Wouldnt you be better off with some gun than no gun? I really like my LCP and wouldnt want it as my only gun, but wouldnt want to be without it. By far the easiest to conceal. You can carry it where no one will ever even guess you have it. Heck...my wallet is bigger than the LCP...
    I modified the complete quote by Firemedic and only left what I wanted. With that being said, I have an LCP, on occasion have carried as my primary based on need to deep conceal. IN a close encounter, I would depend on it as I would my G26. Later down the road, you can get that Glock you want.......but until then, get/carry the LCP and become comfortable with shooting it. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Smile

If you like the gun and can effectively use it problem solved.

I carry a LCP as a primary on many days. It's so easy to slip in and out of my pocket as I go to carry and no-carry zones. The sights are pretty small so I added a CT laser and my accuracy and confidence went way up. One last thing, Jim Surrusco at hiddenholsters.net makes great pocket holsters pocket pistols.
    Lifetime NRA member.

I carry my LCP as a BUG only. Never as a primary. I have a post recall LCP with over 1,000 flawless rounds through it.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links