Night Sights

This is a discussion on Night Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are they recommended? anyone use them? do without? I am debating if its worth the money for my G19...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Sights

Night Sights

Are they recommended? anyone use them? do without? I am debating if its worth the money for my G19
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Get them if you plan to ever carry at night. I have Trijicon's on both my 9mm's and wouldn't give them up.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Are they recommended? anyone use them? do without? I am debating if its worth the money for my G19
    Well, they can't hurt. In the day they are like standard irons with white dots. At night they glow so they can be used easily in low light. They make locating your handgun easier in a dark room if you keep it on a nightstand.

They DO NOT take the place of a good flashlight though.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I like them, I have them on all of my pistols.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    I like 'em. I only have one handgun without them and at night, I don't use that one anymore because when I do, I find I miss the night sights.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Get a set of TruGlo TFO's for your Glock. Fiber optic glow in the day time and Tritium for night time I have them on all of my Glocks and wouldn't trade them for anything. Glockmeister.com had them on sale last week for $80 I believe. Not sure if they are still on sale but it's worth a look.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

the sights that came on my HK glow in the dark but it only lights up well if they are in the light shortly before hand. Are night sights any different that that?
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I came from the days of Iron Sights and using White Out to make the Front Sight visible and now my guns have Night Sights.

I did some playing around, after being drug kicking and screaming into the twentieth century and found that the dang things really do work. I like them and have them. Instead of the traditional green/green combo I prefer the Yellow Rear / Green Front, as it really makes the Front Sight stand out and easier to see.

Now, if the question is between a laser or a Night Sight, I would go with the laser, but that's just me. Get both, the Night Sights and CT Lasergrips is my vote. Some here may argue against lasers, but they really do work if you give them a chance.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    the sights that came on my HK glow in the dark but it only lights up well if they are in the light shortly before hand. Are night sights any different that that?
    Yes. Night sights have radioactive material to make them glow. Sounds like your HK sights use photo-luminescence.

As for the OP's question; I think they're unlikely to get used in a gunfight, but we're unlikely to get in a gunfight in the first place, yet we still prepare for it.

Only one of my guns currently has them, but they're on "the list" of things to get.

I just bought a new Charter Arms .38 UC Lite for a pocket pistol and ordered a Crimson Trace laser grip for it. Can't wait to see how well it will work. There is no replaceable sights for it, so the laser was my only choice.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    I just bought a new Charter Arms .38 UC Lite for a pocket pistol and ordered a Crimson Trace laser grip for it. Can't wait to see how well it will work. There is no replaceable sights for it, so the laser was my only choice.
    Yeah that's the problem I've run into with my SA 1911A1 Mil-Spec. The rear sight has a grooved notch in the barrel, but the front sight is brazed on (or whatever the equivalent term is in gunsmithing.) So I think I'll save up a bit and get one of the Crimson Trace laser grips. $239 - $339 by the looks of it .

Night sights are just practical if you plan on carrying during low light times. I must say though that I am a bigger fan of laser sights during night ops. Granted, I haven't done anything more than look at my night sights on my G22 in a darkened room but it makes more sense to me to use lasers for those instances with night sights as a back-up. Point is that if you need to index the weapon during low light conditions with a laser, there isn't any need to bring that weapon into your line of sight in order to accurately employ that weapon.

hmmm....maybe I will get mine modified, I do plan to carry at night...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Get em.

Thought they were just so much bling till I tried a set. Now I only have one gun left to convert.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links