Stubborn P3AT Disassembly Pin

This is a discussion on Stubborn P3AT Disassembly Pin within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any advise on how to remove this pin without damaging the surface of the slide. I can get my nail under it, but cant't lift ...

Thread: Stubborn P3AT Disassembly Pin

Any advise on how to remove this pin without damaging the surface of the slide. I can get my nail under it, but cant't lift it. Anybody else have similar problem with solution?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Not sure about the p3at but on my p32 I use the lip of the cartridge to pop it out. I know the 380 doesnt have the partial rim like a 32 but it might work. I've used the blade of a knife too. Wrap the tip in a napkin to protect the finish at the leverage point and just get right in behind it. They come out pretty easy. After you feel it pop you got it made.

Thanks...knife and napkin did the trick. Trouble was that the pin was pushed too tightly against the slide passed where the head of the pin should be seated in the grip frame. Left me with no room to get in.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I remove mine with a small,thin bladed screwdriver. Make sure to use something(I use a #2 pencil,eraser end)to hold down the plastic frame just below the pin head opening so when the pin comes out the head will not try to take the frame with it.

Also when you put the pin back in,make sure the little spring wire is seated where it's supposed to be,below the pin.

And take care not to loose the ejector outta the frame rail.

I have disassembled my weapon 25 or so times now with less trouble with the pin every time.

Give them 90gr. Gold Dot's a try. They function every time in my weapon. --------
    Last edited by RSSZ; June 8th, 2006 at 03:58 PM.

use a small,thin bladed screwdriver. pull the slide back then take the screwdriver to the pin.

Sweet. Glad to hear the knife trick worked for ya.

I first pull the pin out as much as I can (maybe 1/16") with my thumbnail.

Then I use a small-tip flat-bladed screwdriver, wrapped in electrical tape, to pry the pin out the rest of the way. Make sure you do keep pressure on either side of the pin, as others have suggested.

The wad of tape serves to both protect the slide, and act as a fulcrum on which the screwdriver is levered. (Got this tip from someone on KTOG.)

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I have a first generation Keltec .380 and I just pull the slide back and grip it with my strong hand with the slide 2/3 pulled back and reach in the relived area on the slide with my finger and pull the pin out.

I don't have the second generation gun and I'm not sure about disassembly. But I'd just follow the above post for disassembly it that is the case.

Jungle Work

Quote Originally Posted by Freedz
    Not sure about the p3at but on my p32 I use the lip of the cartridge to pop it out. I know the 380 doesnt have the partial rim like a 32 but it might work. I've used the blade of a knife too. Wrap the tip in a napkin to protect the finish at the leverage point and just get right in behind it. They come out pretty easy. After you feel it pop you got it made.
    Yes this works on the p3at also. No need for screwdrivers and what not.

RTK
    The first time that I pulled mine apart I had a tough time. I finally used a butter knife and put a soft cloth under it so that I would not scratch the finish on the gun. It took a little time but it finally came. After the first time it does get easier. Also as a side note, I put the butter knife back in the kitchen drawer without washing it, it was not dirty and I can be a little lazy at times - well about 2 hours later I am sitting at the kitchen table talking with my wife and she pulls the butter knife out of the drawer and takes a long look at it and then focuses her gaze on me! The only thing I could say was,"what, why are looking at me like that for". She knows me to well!

Quote Originally Posted by HoggLegg
    Yes this works on the p3at also. No need for screwdrivers and what not.
    Yes, of course, using a .380 cartridge "works" on the P-3AT. That is how they tell you to do it in the instructions.

However, using the small screwdriver -- or some other device that will give you a good bite and leverage -- will make it MUCH easier. Just be careful not to scrape the finish.

Sponsored Links