A couple of questions on carry options

This is a discussion on A couple of questions on carry options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at my current stable of handguns for possible carry guns as well as considering one or two new purchases and I had ...

Thread: A couple of questions on carry options

A couple of questions on carry options

I am looking at my current stable of handguns for possible carry guns as well as considering one or two new purchases and I had some questions for the folks here.

1) I notice in reading in some posts that folks are carrying the Sig P225. I own a P6 variant of this gun in pretty decent shape that shoots well for me and had been considering it as one option for carry.
    Those of you that carry this pistol, have you had any work done on it for carry? If so, what?
    How comfortable have you found this gun for carry?
    I had considered sending mine to Sig for their short reset trigger and action enhancement package. Anyone had either or both of these done?

2) I am looking very seriously at Kahr handguns for carry, though I currently don't own one. The K9 and CW9 are my first choices for primary carry guns in their line. The K9 seems to fit my hand better, but the CW9 seems like it would be much easier to carry and conceal.
    Those of you that carry and/or have shot one or both of these guns, how much difference does the extra weight of the K9 make in recoil?
    Have you found the extra weight of the K9 to be noticable in carrying the handgun?

3) I am thinking hard about what gun/type of gun to get for a "when I can't possibly conceal anything larger" and back up gun. I am looking hard at the Kahr P380, though I have considered an S&W airweight j frame or Ruger LCR to have the higher stopping power. Can people offer their thoughts on what they use for a backup/bare minimum and why?

Thanks for your time!
    Ruffinit

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'm sure you'll get many wide and varied opinions on all of your questions. I would also suggest using the search function as these have been frequently asked and answered in the past.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Question 2)
    The K9 and P9/CW9 are essentially the same size, though not the same weight. On a good belt, in a good holster either of these slim Kahrs carry easily and hide well. The heavier K9 may be a bit easier in the recoil department, but there really isn't a great difference. The only time I've noticed the weight difference mattering is when I use a shoulder holster, then the lighter gun prevails.

Question 3)
    When concealment is the overwhelming priority then small is better than powerful IMHO. A tiny mousegun that fits anywhere is better than a larger gun that goes almost everywhere. I use a tiny Seecamp for those times. I just recognise the fact that I can leave it home when I go hunting.

I haven't carried a Sig or a Kahr, so I can't help you with those.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffinit View Post
    Can people offer their thoughts on what they use for a backup/bare minimum and why?
    Haven't been in this situation yet, but I have a Keltec .380 I'm keeping just in case.

It's small enough I believe it might be flushable if I disassemble it.

Yes, I'm serious.

3) I am thinking hard about what gun/type of gun to get for a "when I can't possibly conceal anything larger" and back up gun. Can people offer their thoughts on what they use for a backup/bare minimum and why?
    Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 It fits in front pocket, back pocket, boot, IWB etc... If you have one of these, there is NO reason to ever leave your house unarmed! Works well as a backup/bug if you can carry your main EDC as well.

2) I am looking very seriously at Kahr handguns for carry, though I currently don't own one. The K9 and CW9 are my first choices for primary carry guns in their line. The K9 seems to fit my hand better, but the CW9 seems like it would be much easier to carry and conceal.
    Those of you that carry and/or have shot one or both of these guns, how much difference does the extra weight of the K9 make in recoil?
    Have you found the extra weight of the K9 to be noticable in carrying the handgun?
    I have a K40 and a CW9. The CW9 is a pussycat with respect to recoil, even with +P ammo. The K40 gets your attention; recoil is noticeable but not objectionable. The gun's bore sits pretty low in your hand, so muzzle flip seems less than with the same ammo in a Glock 23. The additional weight of the K9 over the P9/CW9 would be more of a concern for carrying the gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    In summer i often carry a Kahr CW9. I would say it carries as easy as a S&W Airweight, but carries 8 rounds as apposed to 5. It is also a very good value at under $425.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I've been carrying for 30 plus years and nothing carries better IWB than my CW9. [I haven't tried the PM series]. My safe holds Glocks. Brownings, CZs, S&Ws, Colts, etc. and the Kahr is the most carried.

As for pocket carry, a J-Frame or LCR are great, but there will be a buldge. A P380, Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT are less noticeable.

If funds are not a problem, Rorbaugh has some offerings at over $1000 per copy.

I can only speak to 3), and I have a 642 and a LCP....and the LCP is just plain flatter and fits in pockets much easier...the cylinder on a 642 is as wide as a Glock or similar double stack.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I used to carry a Glock 26 & later, a Kahr PM9. I then went to a Kahr P45 because the longer grip is/was more comfortable for me.

Nowadays, I CC a Glock 19 or a Taurus PT709 SLIM (I like the trigger on it better than the Kahrs). I do have a S&W 442 that's usually my BUG & a Kel-Tec P-32. The Kel-Tec is usually my "when I can't carry anything else" gun due to its light-weight & 10 round 2nd mag.

When I started out in LE, I actually CCed a Sig 226, but went to my 442 not long afterwards. I do feel that a CC gun should give you confidence when you shoot it, but at the same time, be fairly comfortable to carry.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

There are some very good threads in the archives, regarding this issue.

Basically, it's a personal one; one that will change as you develop your carry routine with your lifestyle.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Links