Let me pick your brain

Let me pick your brain

This is a discussion on Let me pick your brain within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any thoughts on the Rohrbaugh R9 or R9S? I don't read many posts or recommendations for or against this pistol. I've seen pictures of it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar

Let me pick your brain

Any thoughts on the Rohrbaugh R9 or R9S? I don't read many posts or recommendations for or against this pistol. I've seen pictures of it but never actually held one. How does it compare to a Kel-Tec P9 or P11? Is it worth considering for a CC gun?

It looks nice but it is a niche gun for a LOT of money......I would go with something more established like a Kahr PM9
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Any thoughts on the Rohrbaugh R9 or R9S? I don't read many posts or recommendations for or against this pistol. I've seen pictures of it but never actually held one. How does it compare to a Kel-Tec P9 or P11? Is it worth considering for a CC gun?
    There is a thread floating around here some place where a few people make the comment tha tyou have to replace the recoil spring ever 150-200 rounds.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Agreed, high priced and complex, I've also heard about a low round count recoil spring.

High priced, complex, frequent recoil spring changes, not a great value.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

The R9 is not a range gun, simply built for carry, if you search threads here you will ind many owners disappointed in their guns due to the service life of parts. Other than that they are overly expensive for what is comparably available such ast kel tec and Kahr.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One of the shooting mags, National Rifleman I believe, recently did an article on several pocket .380s and the Rohrbough was the only one of about 5-6 tested that worked without problems, but for its price, it had better.

Never shot, held, or seen one, but it sure seems proud of its price. Not mu cup of tea.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

PM P95Carry. He is one of the Staff here. He has one and loves it.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    One of the shooting mags, National Rifleman I believe, recently did an article on several pocket .380s and the Rohrbough was the only one of about 5-6 tested that worked without problems, but for its price, it had better.

Never shot, held, or seen one, but it sure seems proud of its price. Not mu cup of tea.
    If I recall, the Kahr p380 tested in that article had not been through
    the required 200 rd. break in.. My Kahr p380 in very reliable and the and IMO, that taints the test results.. As far as the Rohrbaugh 9mm
    goes, can't shoot +p ammo, high maintenance and not a pleasant shoot. If you can get past that and view it for what it is, a powerful
    little belly gun, get out your wallet and go for it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavnamvet View Post
    If I recall, the Kahr p380 tested in that article had not been through
    the required 200 rd. break in.. My Kahr p380 in very reliable and the and IMO, that taints the test results.. As far as the Rohrbaugh 9mm
    goes, can't shoot +p ammo, high maintenance and not a pleasant shoot. If you can get past that and view it for what it is, a powerful
    little belly gun, get out your wallet and go for it.
    The article did in fact state that none of the pistols tested had been through a break-in, as recommended by a few of the makers.

My point was that the Rohrbough worked flawlessly out of the box while none of the rest did. Not owning any of them, I couldn't comment on the long-term reliability of any. The Rohrbough just seemed mighty pricy for a pocket .380 when others (many that work just as well--or better) are available for less.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I believe it was the Feb 2010 issue of the NR that did the write up on many of the 380's, including the Rohrbough and the Kahr. Many of us ran to the article to see how ours stacked up to the others. In my case, the Sig 238. With the exception of the Rohrbough (and apparantly it has it's own issues) they really didn't seem to like any of the 380's. Issues with all of them. Sure, Kahr has their disclaimer about the breakin 200 rounds but that should be done with all of them. Kahr is one of the few that "says it".

BUT....we digress. The OP was about 9mm. Sorry.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Unlike everyone else who has posted on this thread so far I ACTUALLY OWN a Rohrbaugh R9s and I love it
    Here it is with some of my other pocket pistols.....Top to bottom: S&W M&P 340, Kahr PM9, Rohrbaugh R9s, Kahr P380, Ruger LCP....

Yes it is an expensive pistol, but you get what you pay for. The craftsmanship of this pistol is off the charts. It feels like one solid piece-no rattles, nothing loose-feeling, it's just SOLID. It's small, it's slim, it's powerful, it's lightweight. Quite possibly the best overall pocket gun when taking all of those factors into consideration.

As far as the recoil spring goes I have put 450 rounds downrange with the original recoil spring and still have not had a single malfunction. I have since replaced the recoil spring and noticed that it was considerably shorter than the extra brand new recoil spring that was provided in the case.

To finally put this argument to rest........

Some size comparison photos:
    Kahr P380 vs. Rohrbaugh R9s

Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

VIP Member
    Good comparison. I wonder if Wolffe has a longer-life recoil spring.

The Rohrbaugh, King of the Pocket Pistols.....

Some stand alone photos of the Rohrbaugh R9s.....

Rohrbaugh R9s vs. Kimber Stainless Pro TLE/RL II

Rohrbaugh R9s vs. Glock 27 and Glock 19

Rohrbaugh R9s vs. Ruger LCP

To Oldvet: From the Rohrbaugh website....
    "State of the Art:
    Our firearms are designed with the use of CAD/CAM programs. CNC machines perform the manufacturing. Then each gun is then hand fitted and assembled in our state of the art facility. The materials used are of the highest grade, including quality stainless steel, 7075 aircraft aluminum, G-10 grips and Wolff springs."
    The Products - R9 series | Rohrbaugh Firearms
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Nice gun for a LOT of $$$...

Diablo,

What, no pics of your weapons?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links