New PPS .40 Range Report

This is a discussion on New PPS .40 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally received my new PPS in .40 S&W, and got out to the range last Friday afternoon with my dad and brother. Prior to ...

Thread: New PPS .40 Range Report

New PPS .40 Range Report

I finally received my new PPS in .40 S&W, and got out to the range last Friday afternoon with my dad and brother. Prior to heading out, I field stripped the PPS to clean all the shipping grease out, and make it ready.

The first magazine gave me a little hiccup, with a FTF on the last round in the mag. "Uh-oh" I thought, immediately remembering posts on other forums. Some of those indicated problems that required owners to send pistols back to S&W, and I was wondering if I might be one of those.

Second magazine, I started to get the shots closer to the 10-ring. Follow-up shots were slow, but again, this was the first outing. Third magazine, nothing but net! Groups were getting better, no failures, and I was starting to relax a little. I also started to notice that the recoil on this little guy is STOUT! I don't think that this is one my wife will enjoy at all! But I was starting to get in the groove, and really having fun with it.

My brother wanted to give it a go, and even though he hasn't shot in several years, I was impressed that he could pick it up cold, and keep everything within COM without difficulty. My confidence was gaining at this point. A couple more magazines through it, and my dad wanted to see what all the hubub was about. I will tell you that he said he didn't like it, and says he'll stick with his M&P .40, but for not liking it he sure shot well with it!

By the end of the day, I had 100 rounds through it. Except for the FTF on the first magazine, there were absolutely no problems encountered firing three different brands of ammo by three different shooters. Accuracy was very good, and when I took my time I was impressed with the groups I was able to get. Follow up shots were surprisingly quick for me, and I had no trouble re-acquiring the target even with the higher felt recoil (compared to my P99 and the M&P in the same caliber). I found it does shoot a little low (about 1.5 - 2"), and I am ordering a #3 front sight to correct this little issue

Light weight, thin, easy to hide, and accurate. Overall, the perfect carry gun.

What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

2. Remove Ads

I find mine also shoots ahair low. Surprised that you felt recoil was snappy as I thought it seemed light compared to other 40's I have shot, especially my glock 27. How did you like the mag release, I love it?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Mag release is perfect for me. I've owned and shot my P99 for about 6 years, so I'm used to the placement. Recoil is indeed snappy compared to the P99 or M&P, which are really the only weapons I can compare it to.

I just found another thread about someone having issues with the same model. Think I'll have to run another 100 rounds through it this weekend to be sure nothing comes up. I'm carrying it in a BlackHawk OWB holster at 5:00 for now, until I can make my mind up on an IWB. So far it's between a CrossBreed MiniTuck and a Tucker Answer.

I'll update this after a second range session, and hopefully with some pictures.

It's not uncommon to have an issue on the first mag or two with the PPS. The magazine spring is really tight untill you have cycled it a few times. If you've got 100 rounds threw it I am pretty sure you are off to the races. Congrats on the new pistol, I have the 9 and the 40 and I love them both.

With my new PPS, the first range day I shot 100 FMJ, 50 HST 147, and 20 gold dot 124. I had 1 FTFeed with a gold dot. The second time with it at the range was just stricty 200 FMJ's with no failures. I wanted to concentrate on just breaking it in. I also found out that you need the grease the disconnector tab on it. This gun is has a magazine disconnect that none of my other guns have, so I had to do some reasearch. PPSTALK. com has some great info. Im going to put another 100 rounds of HST thu it before carrying it. What sux is im almost out of HST's and I cant find them anywhere. Hopefully the gold dots work out of with this gun.
    As far as shooting. This is one accurate little dude. Shoots very soft.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I have run about 150 gold dots threw mine with no problems. You should be OK.

GM
    Thanks for sharing.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    Shoots very soft.
    Good morning,
    Do you have the 9 mm? I am interested in the 9 and am wondering about the recoil. I see that the OP says it's snappy, and am thinking that maybe the 40 caliber round vs the gun design???

I want a 9 but not a snappy 9.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Good morning,
    Do you have the 9 mm? I am interested in the 9 and am wondering about the recoil. I see that the OP says it's snappy, and am thinking that maybe the 40 caliber round vs the gun design???

Thanks

Its more the .40 round that causes the "snappyness". I own a .40 and have shot a 9. The 9mm recoil is not very snappy like the .40. I suggest you try to find a 9mm to rent and shoot.

I believe the sights on the PPS were designed to shoot at 6 o'clock for anyone shooting low. If you can accustom yourself to shooting that way.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Distinguished Member
    Shot the pps in 9 today, just three rounds. It was very acceptable in the recoil dept, and I have a bad shooting hand.

I was impressed. Nice gun. To me, it was much smoother than the Kahr CW9. For that much more $$ it better be nicer!

Very concealable, even for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    I believe the sights on the PPS were designed to shoot at 6 o'clock for anyone shooting low. If you can accustom yourself to shooting that way.
    They are designed with a point of aim sight picture.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    They are designed with a point of aim sight picture.
    Correct sir - cover the target, rather than having the target 'resting on top of' the sight picture (dotting the i).

Even using a point of aim sight picture, it was still shooting in the 9X ring. A shorter front sight should bring it up where I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Good morning,

Thanks
    I have the 9. I was even shooting it with the 6 round mag that doesnt have pinky support. It actually seems to shoot softer or equal to my XD9SC. I was worried about the slimness and the reduction of surface area would wear my hand out, but it was a non-issue. If you use the 7 round mag (with pinky support), its even better. I like the 6 rounder because of the shorter grip and it adds to concealment. I just ordered a ankle magazine holster that holds to mags. I will convert one of my 7 rounders to an 8 round. The 6, 7 and 8 rd mags are all the same. Its just the floorplates that are different. If you have a 6 round, I read that you can convert it to an 7 or 8 rd for approx $18. This is good to know, since the mags are around $50.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Links