Glock 29 - 2 part question

This is a discussion on Glock 29 - 2 part question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting, there's been a lot of 10mm chatter lately on the forum and I got missing my 10. Sold it a year or so back ...

Thread: Glock 29 - 2 part question

Distinguished Member

Interesting, there's been a lot of 10mm chatter lately on the forum and I got missing my 10. Sold it a year or so back and it was the only in the stable. But all of this talk has surfaced 2 itches that need scratching. Replacing my 10mm and possibly moving in to my first Glock.

Question 1 - for those of you that have the G29; How is it? I'm very familiar with the caliber but my old one was a full 1911 frame. Is the G29 still manageable with respect to size vs recoil? 45's and 40's in similar sized frames don't concern me. I'm comfortable enough.

Question 2 - Having never shot a Glock, I know that they work for some folks and not for others. That seems to be very clear. Would renting a 27 or a 30 be comparable enough for me to figure out the subcompact feel of a Glock and relate it to the G29?

I need to travel some distance to rent anything at all and the 29 doesn't seem to be a standard for rentals. It's not an option for me. Thanks for the input.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Hey, the 29 is very manageable to shoot. Rent the G30 as that is/will be the closest in size.. Hope this helps..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

VIP Member
    Only limited experience shooting the 10mm Glock's, but they are very manageable, especially if you are already familiar with the caliber.

Rent any of the sub-compacts and you will get the idea. Just remember that the 29/30 frame is a fair bit larger in the grip than the 26/27 frame. You'll get the idea whether or not you even like the platform.

Good luck!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rex03 View Post
    Hey, the 29 is very manageable to shoot. Rent the G30 as that is/will be the closest in size.. Hope this helps..
    +1
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I really like the Glock 29, carried the Glock 27, and decided to move up. I put a Pierce extension on the magazine for my "pinky". It really helps. The recoil is very managable. The Glock 20 is also great. Just a bit more to conceal...

12 ga
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by rex03 View Post
    This

I have a 30 SF & my father in-law has a 29. I've shot them side by side a bunch of times. Size wise, they are virtually identical. They also shoot similarly up to a point. Ammo selection has a lot to do with that. Most factory 10mm loads feel similar to .45+P rounds. Double Tap and other hotter loads are a bit more lively. They are still quite manageable though. I find the G29 more comfortable to shoot than a Colt DE with hotter loads.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

To me, the G29 is very similar to the 19/23 series only a little shorter and fatter. I have small hands, so I can get my pinky on the edge of the mag on the 29, for a 4 fingered grip. The 29 is very manageable with full house loads, and is considered the ''pit bull'' of the glock family. Get one, some Winchester Silvertips or Double Taps and dont look back.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks all of you guys. Glockman, I had no doubt that you'd roll on this one. Couldn't pass it. Final question; Is the 29 still reasonable for cc given width? I don't mind the pit bull aspect at all. If some is good, more is usually better. Maybe one other question; Can anybody compare the ergonomics of the Glock to the M&P? I recently picked one up (45 cal) and I am, or was, really happy with it (then my son got his hands on it and he graduated from the U and....so on). Big change from 1911. I guess I just need to get my hands on one and try it out.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Thanks all of you guys. Glockman, I had no doubt that you'd roll on this one. Couldn't pass it. Final question; Is the 29 still reasonable for cc given width? I don't mind the pit bull aspect at all. If some is good, more is usually better. Maybe one other question; Can anybody compare the ergonomics of the Glock to the M&P? I recently picked one up (45 cal) and I am, or was, really happy with it (then my son got his hands on it and he graduated from the U and....so on). Big change from 1911. I guess I just need to get my hands on one and try it out.
    Really, it depends on your build and body style and carry method. For me, I always carry a cover garmet and carry in a pancake style owb leather or fobus paddle holster, so the little extra width is not an issue. In the summer, when it is too hot, I usually carry a fanny pack, and this has worked for me on beaches, Disney World, Sea World, or where ever I go where comfort is a priority and minimal clothing is desired. I have used these modes of carry for 20 years or more, and the g29 carries well using these. Never handled a M&P, as I am not fond of S&W pistols. I think that every thing takes getting used to, I have had numerous 1911s and think the grip angle is nice, but after allowing myself to get used to the glock, I went with the glock and never went back. The rust resistance of the glock and lightweight make it very convienent for different carry modes. I hope I don't give anyone the impression I am partial to glock 10mms! lol

Sponsored Links