What do you think of the new DW VBOB?

This is a discussion on What do you think of the new DW VBOB? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Anyone out here own one? Impressions? Thoughts? Thanks CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON V-Bob...

Thread: What do you think of the new DW VBOB?

Hi,

Anyone out here own one? Impressions? Thoughts?

Thanks

CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON V-Bob
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i don't own one, but if someone were to "lend" me one for an undetermined amount of time, i would give you a review ;-)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

With an MSRP of $2040...

I'd rather have a Brown or a Baer.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Saw one this past weekend at a gun show. I'd rather have the C Bob, but I see it's been discontinued. Maybe I'll be able to find one before they're all sold out.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    With an MSRP of $2040...

I'd rather have a Brown or a Baer.
    Well, I don't think that's the VBOB the OP was asking about. So far the only VBOB's out are the SS versions and they're $1600. I don't own one, but several over at 1911forum/DW do and one poster gave it a very through review and also owns a EB Executive Carry Bobtail and said hands down the DW is ever bit as well made as the EB. Only slight differences in the finish that he gave the edge to the EB, but for an extra grand he didn't see a $1000 difference in the EB. For the price of the SS. I know which one I'd buy. And it isn't the EB!

Quote Originally Posted by DW Steve View Post
    Well, I don't think that's the VBOB the OP was asking about. So far the only VBOB's out are the SS versions and they're $1600. I don't own one, but several over at 1911forum/DW do and one poster gave it a very through review and also owns a EB Executive Carry Bobtail and said hands down the DW is ever bit as well made as the EB. Only slight differences in the finish that he gave the edge to the EB, but for an extra grand he didn't see a $1000 difference in the EB. For the price of the SS. I know which one I'd buy. And it isn't the EB!
    An EB is only a $700 difference. If you shop around you can find NIB EB Carry pistols for $2200, and a V-Bob is $1500. The difference is the parts fitment is not as clean on the DW. It's nice, but not the same. Also, with an EB you can order a naked slide, have different models to change the checkering pattern if you like scallops or snake skin pattern instead of standard stuff. The stainless EB is much nicer looking than the DW when you have both side by side. The V-Bob is a nice gun but people give it way too much credit. It is not in the same league as a EB, hence the price. I have no doubt that if CZ thought they could get away with selling it at retail for $2k they would. This isn't your sub $1k CBOB that was the best value in a 1911 at one point in time. IMO the value of DW is gone because they are priced too high trying to be what they are not. It is worth the extra $700 to me, for an EB or something from semi-custom manufacturers. Again it is not $1000 more for an ED Brown. And you can order an Ed Brown. You can't order a V-Bob. If there's no stock you're SOL.

I'm not a DW hater either as I own a CBOB. However, I paid $930 for it 2 years ago.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

It's not like they slapped a new finish on it and raised the price on the CBOB. They've done an enormous amount of improvements to them. As for them being a "sub $1000 1911" They haven't ever been that as far as retail goes. They've been able to be found for less than a grand if you shopped around, but the CBOB is was a $1200 pistol that had a street price of about a grand for the last 3 years or so. IMO, from what I've read and seen so far they're still a great pistol for the price. They have had a street price on the SS VBOB for as low as $1300 from what I've seen. Most have gone for $1400ish though. Any EB whether it's a KC or EC in Bobtail is at least a $2200 gun.

As I said, the parts fit and actual parts used make it a $2200 gun. A DW even with the changes, doesn't have the same quality to me. There's nothing about the V-bob that says "I'm worth it" not to me, not at these prices.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    As I said, the parts fit and actual parts used make it a $2200 gun. A DW even with the changes, doesn't have the same quality to me. There's nothing about the V-bob that says "I'm worth it" not to me, not at these prices.
    What's amazing to me is that you've seemed to make judgment here on a gun you haven't tested yourself! Ed Brown makes great parts, but they're not the best you can get and you don't know what quality of parts that DW is using. They're making their own and they're very high quality forged parts. EB is also, but how can you sit there and say with such certainty that the DW parts are so inferior?

If you'd like a very impartial look at one owners review I'd suggest that you read this thread and then come back with a more informed comment.

Massive DW VBOB review (Dialup killer) - 1911Forum

Thank God I bought my CBOB in mid-2006 and got a deal for $835 ($775 + $60 FFL fees).

I love my CBOB!!!

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

I've heard nothing but positive comments concerning the DW line, but it's amazing how quickly the prices have climbed...wow!

I have two Kimbers, and they have really climbed in price, too...I'll stick with my Glocks for now.

If you have the $$, I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 18th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Geez, looks like Dan Wesson prices have blown up. They are no longer the low cost alternative to Ed Brown. They're still slightly less expensive, but nothing like they used to be.

What's amazing to me is that you've seemed to make judgment here on a gun you haven't tested yourself! Ed Brown makes great parts, but they're not the best you can get and you don't know what quality of parts that DW is using. They're making their own and they're very high quality forged parts. EB is also, but how can you sit there and say with such certainty that the DW parts are so inferior?

If you'd like a very impartial look at one owners review I'd suggest that you read this thread and then come back with a more informed comment.

Massive DW VBOB review (Dialup killer) - 1911Forum
    What's amazing to me is you ASSUME I haven't fired both and handled both. I assure you, I have and the DW is not close to an EB. Sorry. I own a CBOB but won't own a V-bob because the value isn't there anymore. It's no longer a question of $1200 more, it's $700 more. For $700 more I'll go with the real deal. I considered a V-Bob at one point in time and I made a point to go out and find one to checkout, I even fired it. I found a guy who had gotten one through a local FFL of mine and contacted him to be able to see it. I have previous experience with EBs and I looked at both side by side too. Maybe it's just me, but the new DW doesn't hit me as that great of a value any longer. You don't have to agree, but it is what it is and I'm willing to spend more and get the better pistol. That's all. If it were a larger difference in cost then things might be different but when the prices are what they are, I don't feel like I'm wasting my money at all. I'm just stating my opinion about the question asked. Also, with a name like "DW Steve" there's no doubt where your bias lies.

Again I say, if CZ could get away with it they'd sell these at higher prices than they are. There is a reason they don't.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    Hi,

Anyone out here own one? Impressions? Thoughts?

Thanks

CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON V-Bob

I think I could buy four Glocks for the price of one VBOB.

Since it's the one he posted a link to, I'm willing to bet it is.

Sorry I failed to praise your precious Dan Wesson...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Sponsored Links