Vehicle handgun

This is a discussion on Vehicle handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you carry a handgun in the vehicle? If so is it in addition to your on body gun? Do you leave it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle handgun

Vehicle handgun

Do any of you carry a handgun in the vehicle? If so is it in addition to your on body gun? Do you leave it unsecured when you go to store, etc? What gun is it and how do you store it? Is your purpose to have more ready access behind the wheel than is possible with your on body gun? Are you concerned about liability or accidents when left unattended?

Plus any other questions I forgot to ask. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I always have a Glock 23 on my side. Never really saw the need to also leave one in the truck. When my gun is not on my side its locked in my safe. If I were to leave a gun in my vehicle I would get some sort of means to lock it up when the vehicle was un-attended.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    My gun is on me for short or around town trips. When in the car for an extended time, I have a cheap holster velcroed to the inside of the console tub in my truck. The lid opens easily and I can access the gun as quickly, if not faster, than from my belt holster. I also have a magazine holster velcroed in the tub. The reason for the cheap holster is that it will accommodate pretty much any of my carry guns from my S&W 642 to my G21. The lid of the tub keeps the smaller guns from bouncing out of the holster on a rough road.

Administrator
    Please don't keep guns in your cars. If you must, make sure they are properly secured.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I leave my gun in my car when I go to my office. Its in a lock box under the seat which is cabled to the car.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Please don't keep guns in your cars. If you must, make sure they are properly secured.

SIXTO - I assume you are talking about leaving guns in the car when you are not in it? In my post above, I failed to note that when I get out of the truck, I always take the gun.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    SIXTO - I assume you are talking about leaving guns in the car when you are not in it? In my post above, I failed to note that when I get out of the truck, I always take the gun.
    Yes. I understand that there might be times when you have to do so, but please secure it properly when those times arise.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think I have one of these on me in or out of the car...really hard to tell with the last one.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I often use a 9mm as a carry gun. I also travel long distances in rural areas, and often drive in large cities (Dallas/Ft.Worth, San Antonio, Houston. When traveling I usually have a .45 auto or S&w 4" 29 between the seats. When I get out of the car it gets locked up. At night it goes in with me. If I am traveling near the border I add a shotgun or winchester 30-30. Many of my friends add a M-4 or m1A when in deep South Texas.

What good is a firearm that "lives" in your vehicle?

It won't use itself in your absence, and I don't want any of my firearms to be used by anyone than myself. If you carry, you carry. Find a method of such that allows for relatively easy access in the car, and stick with it.

The only time I keep a firearm in the car is when I HAVE to go in somewhere that carry is forbidden under law.

Yes, that includes the Domestic General's demand to eat lunch in her favorite bar...

The weapon sits in a lockbox that is chained (with a towchain) to the backseat's frame. It would take dedicated effort to remove it...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    I have used car guns before. For me it was easier to access them than to draw a holstered weapon sometimes. The choice of handgun does not really matter all depends on what your preference is.
    The weapon should be in a holster and the holster secured to something so it is in the same place everytime. Now vehicles now adays come with every compartment known to man so there may be one that works perfect for placing the weapon where you can get to it.
    As folks have stated whenever you leave the vehicle make sure the weapon is secured not just hidden in the vehicle. They make and neat lockbox that stands vertically and when you open the lid the weapon is lifted up to meet your hand. The other thing to consider is passengers, adult and kids, making sure they just dont stumble across it at the wrong time or have unauthorized access to it.
    In the south many people had dedicated truck guns that are mainly rifles but in some cases handguns. They have to be reliable under any circumstances and you have to be willing to have them get beat up to a point as they are working guns not safe queens.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Holstered Kel-Tec P-11 9mm pistol, clipped onto and hidden inside drivers-side door pouch, loaded and ready to go, with loaded spare magazine [pointed the right way] located inside the handgrip above it. I have practiced with it a little bit, reach down with right hand grab to point.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    Do any of you carry a handgun in the vehicle? If so is it in addition to your on body gun? Do you leave it unsecured when you go to store, etc? What gun is it and how do you store it? Is your purpose to have more ready access behind the wheel than is possible with your on body gun? Are you concerned about liability or accidents when left unattended?

Plus any other questions I forgot to ask. Thanks.
    1) Sometimes.

2) Yes.

3) No!!!

4) Usually a P229, carried inside a Safepacker. It goes with me when I leave the vehicle, so I don't "store" it.

5) Not really. I wear my carry gun at 0300, where it is quite accessible.

6) Liability? YES!!! Don't leave guns unattended! Accidents? I am not sure what you mean by accidents. Guns do not fire off rounds by themselves.

I only leave a gun in my car at work (our parking lot is controlled and has guards, so a break-in is very unlikely).

Otherwise the weapon stays with me.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I dont leave mine in the vehicle other than at work, have to. I once had a car broken into and used to leave the gun in it but for some reason didnt that night....now, I dont do it overnight or for any length of time other than during work hours.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links