Defensive Carry banner

Vehicle handgun

4K views 39 replies 36 participants last post by  D Strokes 
#1 ·
Do any of you carry a handgun in the vehicle? If so is it in addition to your on body gun? Do you leave it unsecured when you go to store, etc? What gun is it and how do you store it? Is your purpose to have more ready access behind the wheel than is possible with your on body gun? Are you concerned about liability or accidents when left unattended?

Plus any other questions I forgot to ask. Thanks.

#2 ·
I always have a Glock 23 on my side. Never really saw the need to also leave one in the truck. When my gun is not on my side its locked in my safe. If I were to leave a gun in my vehicle I would get some sort of means to lock it up when the vehicle was un-attended.

#3 ·
My gun is on me for short or around town trips. When in the car for an extended time, I have a cheap holster velcroed to the inside of the console tub in my truck. The lid opens easily and I can access the gun as quickly, if not faster, than from my belt holster. I also have a magazine holster velcroed in the tub. The reason for the cheap holster is that it will accommodate pretty much any of my carry guns from my S&W 642 to my G21. The lid of the tub keeps the smaller guns from bouncing out of the holster on a rough road.

#6 ·
SIXTO - I assume you are talking about leaving guns in the car when you are not in it? In my post above, I failed to note that when I get out of the truck, I always take the gun.

#8 ·
I think I have one of these on me in or out of the car...really hard to tell with the last one.

#9 ·
I often use a 9mm as a carry gun. I also travel long distances in rural areas, and often drive in large cities (Dallas/Ft.Worth, San Antonio, Houston. When traveling I usually have a .45 auto or S&w 4" 29 between the seats. When I get out of the car it gets locked up. At night it goes in with me. If I am traveling near the border I add a shotgun or winchester 30-30. Many of my friends add a M-4 or m1A when in deep South Texas.

#20 ·
The only time I carry an Xtra gun is when I travel which is gonna happen tomight,be gone about 5 days,1911 45 at 8:30 with xtra mags 25 rounds federal 230 HST+P,Sig 229 40 left door pocket 37 rounds 165 grn HST.
Don't wanta hijack the thread but there is a lake that borders TX and Maxico(Falcon Lake)they have had several fishing boats being robbed by Mexicans with AK's or AR's and have warned Americans to stay closer to the US side

#10 ·
What good is a firearm that "lives" in your vehicle?

It won't use itself in your absence, and I don't want any of my firearms to be used by anyone than myself. If you carry, you carry. Find a method of such that allows for relatively easy access in the car, and stick with it.

The only time I keep a firearm in the car is when I HAVE to go in somewhere that carry is forbidden under law.

Yes, that includes the Domestic General's demand to eat lunch in her favorite bar...:rolleyes:

The weapon sits in a lockbox that is chained (with a towchain) to the backseat's frame. It would take dedicated effort to remove it...

:smoke23:

#11 ·
I have used car guns before. For me it was easier to access them than to draw a holstered weapon sometimes. The choice of handgun does not really matter all depends on what your preference is.
The weapon should be in a holster and the holster secured to something so it is in the same place everytime. Now vehicles now adays come with every compartment known to man so there may be one that works perfect for placing the weapon where you can get to it.
As folks have stated whenever you leave the vehicle make sure the weapon is secured not just hidden in the vehicle. They make and neat lockbox that stands vertically and when you open the lid the weapon is lifted up to meet your hand. The other thing to consider is passengers, adult and kids, making sure they just dont stumble across it at the wrong time or have unauthorized access to it.
In the south many people had dedicated truck guns that are mainly rifles but in some cases handguns. They have to be reliable under any circumstances and you have to be willing to have them get beat up to a point as they are working guns not safe queens.

#12 ·
Holstered Kel-Tec P-11 9mm pistol, clipped onto and hidden inside drivers-side door pouch, loaded and ready to go, with loaded spare magazine [pointed the right way] located inside the handgrip above it. I have practiced with it a little bit, reach down with right hand grab to point.

#13 ·
1) Sometimes.

2) Yes.

3) No!!!

4) Usually a P229, carried inside a Safepacker. It goes with me when I leave the vehicle, so I don't "store" it.

5) Not really. I wear my carry gun at 0300, where it is quite accessible.

6) Liability? YES!!! Don't leave guns unattended! Accidents? I am not sure what you mean by accidents. Guns do not fire off rounds by themselves.

#15 ·
I dont leave mine in the vehicle other than at work, have to. I once had a car broken into and used to leave the gun in it but for some reason didnt that night....now, I dont do it overnight or for any length of time other than during work hours.

#18 ·
My poor old handgun sees duty for all of the following: car gun, household defense gun, concealed carry, range practice, field use, plinking, snakes, varmints, hunting backup, training other shooters, and handloading experimentation. I enjoy owning a lot of handguns but few see regular use and only one answers every task. I keep up with it and don't leave it out of reach or unattended.

#19 ·
I have a drop leg holster attached to the cup holder of the center console. It hangs down onto the floor at the front part of the seat. I carry a full size PX4 storm 9mm. With the seat belt and the pistol stabbing me in the side. I found this more comfortable and much easier with quicker access, no seatbelt to deal with.
The gun is there only when I'm driving the car.

I don't leave it in the car until I get a car gun safe.
Not carrying much yet, just some OC. My CCH application is in just waiting for it to be approved.

#21 ·
My car gun is a Beretta 21 in .25acp. I keep it in a little secret compartment in my console. Hidden well but easy to grip and draw in a second. I keep Winchester Expanding Points in it and it has a set if CT lasergrips that were more than the gun. I can hit with it from odd angles when seated thanks to the grips, it's small enough and safe enough to drop in a pocket if I need to, it has the best (for a .25) ammo I can get to get the job done at three feet, and it won't blow my ears up if I fire it inside the car.

I admit one of the considerations was cost, that if it got stolen I wasn't out much ( I got it in trade years ago for next to nothing) but after hearing SIXTOs argument I don't keep it constantly in the car anymore. It's main purpose is to just be easier to grab than my IWB gun.

#34 ·
I like this idea a lot...doesnt require two guns but is easily accessible during driving.

#24 ·
When I drove a big Chrysler, I only kept my Glock on my person...fairly easy to get to...:image035:

Now the wife usually drives the Chrysler, and I sold my Harley (another story) and bought a Miata. Sitting in the Miata makes it a bit more difficult to pull from a holster, so I began adding a snubbie to my 'travel package'. It's in a holster between the seat and console...right at my finger tips. Driving with the top down I'm a bit out in the open, but a weapon is right next to the gear shift...my EDC is still on my side.:comeandgetsome:

When I exit the vehicle the snubbie either comes into the house, or it rides in the trunk in a CoM safe for short periods of time.:22a:

#25 ·
My vehicle carry gun is the same as my gun I carry on my own person. If my rig is impractical to draw without removing the seatbelt, I also use a car seat holster. I unholster the pistol from my own carry holster and reholster it in the car seat holster. When I get out of the car, it's a reverse process of what I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.