New shooter seeking advice for CC weapon selection

This is a discussion on New shooter seeking advice for CC weapon selection within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everybody. I am new to all this and looking to head to the range to try some pistols that I may consider for CC. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New shooter seeking advice for CC weapon selection

Hi everybody. I am new to all this and looking to head to the range to try some pistols that I may consider for CC. I don't really know where to start. I'm a 5'1" 100lb girl and I'm not very strong. I want to go to the range to gain some confidence in my shooting but I was looking for advice as to what guns could work for me. Being a person of such a small frame, I don't know if there are many guns with decent stopping power that are small enough for me to conceal. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just don't want to spend money trying out guns that I can't conceal on my person. My other concern is recoil. Though I know my confidence and ability will grow with practice at the range, I know I won't be comfortable with a gun that has a harsh recoil. Is there a happy medium? Thanks so much!

-Devynn

2. Remove Ads

Welcome, ma'am. There's a lot to think about. Here's a link to a site created by a lady who has thought about these things a lot. It's a good start.

Cornered Cat
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

First off, welcome.

What I'd highly recommend is finding a range near you that rents firearms, and provides instruction. That way, you can try several different pistols, get properly trained in using them, and choose one that works well for you.

A few of my freind's wives that carry pack everything from a Sig .380 to a snub .357 revolver to a 9mm Glock to a .45 Officer's Model...what works for one won't necessarily work for another, so what someone suggests as perfect for them may not be so perfect for you.

Hope this helps.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The first gun that I would suggest is a Stainless Steel Double Action Smith and Wesson model 60 or Ruger SP-101 Revolver in .38 Special. Notice I said Steel. The extra weight will help control recoil. You can learn to shoot using light wadcutter target loads, carry hollow points and work up to hotter +P loads. Stainless Steel requires minimal maintenance, the revolver is the simplest gun to operate, just pull the trigger and she shoots, simple.
    If you have the $$$ also get a .22 LR. You can practice for CHEAP.
    If you just must have a semi auto try the S&W M&Pc in 9mm.
    MOST IMPORTATLY, get a professional instructor who will teach you the right way. WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkrheaume View Post
    Hi everybody. I am new to all this and looking to head to the range to try some pistols that I may consider for CC. I don't really know where to start. I'm a 5'1" 100lb girl and I'm not very strong. I want to go to the range to gain some confidence in my shooting but I was looking for advice as to what guns could work for me. Being a person of such a small frame, I don't know if there are many guns with decent stopping power that are small enough for me to conceal. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just don't want to spend money trying out guns that I can't conceal on my person. My other concern is recoil. Though I know my confidence and ability will grow with practice at the range, I know I won't be comfortable with a gun that has a harsh recoil. Is there a happy medium? Thanks so much!

-Devynn
    Let me give you two sure fire winners. M&P9c or a Glock 26 either one will be top notch.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Welcome to the forum, there's a lot of great information here.

I highly recommend you read the following....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...utomatics.html

There is a lot of god advice there, then I'd search out some information from the manufactures mentioned and put together a list of about 10-20 options. Then go to a gun store, or outdoor sporting goods store, or gun show; and hold many different guns, to see what fits in your hand most comfortably, and this should cut that list down to 5 or less, then find a place that rents them (there's many places out there that sell and rent them). Then comes down to whats most comfortable and what you shoot best, while being able to take reasonable adjustments to conceal it.

Cornered cat will have goo advice as well. And I'd suggest looking into Massad Ayoob's books, particularly "Concealed Carry" but there is a wealth of information across many of his books and magazine articles and TV appearance.

Glock Certified Armorer

This is a very tough decision to make. Nobody can pick the gun for you. Is there a range close by that you could rent a few models to see what you might like? I'd start with a small 9mm like an M&P9c, Glock 26 and go from there. It's going to be up to you as to whether or not you want something smaller than that.

Many people don't like .380acp, I'm one of them. Ammo is more expensive and I think it lacks a bit of power behind it. Sometimes it's hard to even find .380 ammo. I'd start with a 9mm and give it a try with some basic instruction (or maybe a friend you know) before going to something lower.

Good luck!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    This is a very tough decision to make. Nobody can pick the gun for you. Is there a range close by that you could rent a few models to see what you might like? I'd start with a small 9mm like an M&P9c, Glock 26 and go from there. It's going to be up to you as to whether or not you want something smaller than that.

Many people don't like .380acp, I'm one of them. Ammo is more expensive and I think it lacks a bit of power behind it. Sometimes it's hard to even find .380 ammo. I'd start with a 9mm and give it a try with some basic instruction (or maybe a friend you know) before going to something lower.

Good luck!
    Words of wisdom.........
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Check out a Kahr PM9

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Let me give you two sure fire winners. M&P9c or a Glock 26 either one will be top notch.
    I second this post and will add to it all of this:

I also agree. I'd say try the M&P 9mm Compact, the Glock 26, and the Springfield XD 9mm Subcompact. These all very good guns, and very good starter guns. You don't think of these as "girly" guns, unless you want to that is, because I carry the M&P9c and I'm 6'1, 195 pounds. These are all accurate, reliable, do the job firearms.

I don't recommend any gun that fires .380 either. They or hit or miss. They rarely penetrate to 12", and there are stories about them not penetrating past 2." I'd buy a .22 before I bought a .380...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I should add, pick out a gun that you feel that you would carry every day. Not just Tuesday after work on the way to the gym, or only on weekends. You should have something you are comfortable with carrying every time you go out. That means small enough that your day to day attire won't need drastic changing to accommodate the weapon you're going to bring. Everyone is different, everyone dresses differently and has different habits. That being said, you also probably want a gun that you can be comfortable shooting at the range and practicing with. Something you can feel confident in because if you're unsure of yourself with it, you might leave it at home which defeats the purpose. Now I'm not one of the die hards on the forum. I don't carry everywhere, every time, every day. I probably should but my place of business wouldn't look kindly upon it if they found out I carried there and sometimes I don't arm myself when I go out (if I expect I might be drinking). I'd like to say I'm armed all the time but in my state of Florida, you cannot have your gun at a bar even if you are not drinking. So sometimes I simply must not go out armed. That goes along with learning the laws of your state. Where you can and cannot be, what you can and cannot do. After a bit of experience you'll find that you feel more comfortable when you are armed than when you are not. I know it's like that for me, but I do also have to obey the laws about where I simply cannot have my gun.

Checkout the site linked earlier, http://corneredcat.com/. It's a wealth of information. It's not just for ladies either. In fact I have gained much information about how to handle certain social situations while carrying just from reading that site. I won't go into too much detail about it, but one thing that I got good knowledge from was what to do if a family member discovers you're carrying. Anyway it's a good site and worth reading through, it details some things specifically to a woman's qualities when it comes to carrying concealed. Lets face it, a woman's frame doesn't match a man's frame for which most gear is designed. There are some very good suggestions there that may help you as you dive deeper into the lifestyle.

edit: You mentioned recoil, and a gun chambered for 9mm will likely be the softest shooting of the "duty" calibers. It's easy to handle and ammo is relatively cheap so you can practice more than a larger caliber or one that is more rare or specialty.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrheaume View Post

-Devynn
    Read the book by Massad Ayoob "handbook of concealed carry". Assess your wardrobe to see what gun/holster/alternative you are willing to wear when carrying. Carrying in a purse is a slow method of drawing the weapon.

Shoot various calibers, such as 380s, 38s, 9 mm, 45 and 40 S&W. Shoot various sizes of revolvers and pistols. Try compact, full sized and subcompacts. Additionally, try different ammo to see what you can comfrtably shoot accurately and quickly.

Then decide on what you want to buy.

Lastly, go through a basic and advanced firearms course sponsored by the NRA.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    The first gun that I would suggest is a Stainless Steel Double Action Smith and Wesson model 60 or Ruger SP-101 Revolver in .38 Special. Notice I said Steel. The extra weight will help control recoil. You can learn to shoot using light wadcutter target loads, carry hollow points and work up to hotter +P loads. Stainless Steel requires minimal maintenance, the revolver is the simplest gun to operate, just pull the trigger and she shoots, simple.
    If you have the $$$ also get a .22 LR. You can practice for CHEAP.
    If you just must have a semi auto try the S&W M&Pc in 9mm.
    MOST IMPORTATLY, get a professional instructor who will teach you the right way. WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If you go with a .357 you can practice with .38 on the cheap and carry .357. If your not comfrotable with .357's you can carry .38's and work up to .357 :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

100 pounds, 5' 1". Petite

Caliber Choices;
    Revolver, limit of 5 or 6 rounds but ammunition choices are almost unlimited.
    Minimum for S/D .32 cal.,
    Most carried for S/D.38 cal., .38+P.,
    (higher recoil).357mag. For self defense.

Semi-auto's generally have higher capacity (7-10 rounds)
    Minimum S/D is the .380 (9mm. short),
    Most carried for S/D are the 9mm. Luger, .40S&W.

Revolvers are simple to operate but are THICK and thus more difficult to conceal. Some have heavy trigger pulls (force required to operate the gun).

Semi-autos are a little more involved but not ROCKET SCIENCE. There are many THIN semi's out there that are easily concealed. Operation of the slide will be your main concern. The slide must be operated to cycle a cartridge into the chamber to make the pistol ready to fire. Some can be more difficult than others. Almost anyone can operate a semi-auto's slide if the proper technique is used. My wife found the Walther P99C 9mm. slide the easiest to operate, BUT THAT IS JUST HER EXPERIENCE.

RECOIL:
    In general small frame revolvers have small grips (stocks) and recoil may be harder to control as well as more difficult to tolerate.

Small frame semi's also have smaller grips but many come with a magazine that has a finger extension allowing you to take a full grip on the pistol allowing for easier shooting.

Just my opinion but try out a few of the thinner 9mm semiautos out there, especially those with finger extensions.(several even come with grips that can be adjusted for smaller hands).
    They are easy to conceal, are available in calibers suited to self defense and after a short learning curve easy to operate, shoot and maintain.

Good luck, hope you find the perfect pistol for your needs.

bosco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links