Seeking some advice

This is a discussion on Seeking some advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter has asked me to help her pick out an affordable, reliable used firearm. The two choices I have narrowed it down to are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking some advice

Seeking some advice

My daughter has asked me to help her pick out an affordable, reliable used firearm. The two choices I have narrowed it down to are a Ruger P95 with three 10rd mags for $250 and a Bersa Mini Firestorm 9UC circa 2002 with fobus holster a 10rd mag, two 13rd mags and carrier for $350. Don't know the age of the P95. Both are from private sellers. What do y'all think?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Has she given input into the gun selection? I think people need to select their OWN guns. Just because I think my Sig P220 is the best handgun in the world, doesn't mean it is for everyone. Make sure she has a chance (if possible) to handle and fire each gun before making a final decision. Let it be her choice, given the importance, it should be HER choosing.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Does she have experience with semi-autos? That would be my first concern.

I have no experience with either choice, but the voice in my head (when I listen to it) says to lean toward the Ruger. I've had Ruger Blackhawks (.357 and .41 Mags) in the past and never had any sort of complaint with them. It's a good company that's been around a long time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would lean towards the Ruger...But the Bersa MAY fit her hands better(assuming she has small hands)...
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

She has been to the range with me, done real well with the Bersa .380 and the Smith 669. She has a pretty steady even hand and groups her shots real well. Her accuracy is slightly better with the Bersa.

Quote Originally Posted by misnomerga View Post
    My daughter has asked me to help her pick out an affordable, reliable used firearm. The two choices I have narrowed it down to are a Ruger P95 with three 10rd mags for $250 and a Bersa Mini Firestorm 9UC circa 2002 with fobus holster a 10rd mag, two 13rd mags and carrier for $350. Don't know the age of the P95. Both are from private sellers. What do y'all think?
    The P95 is a quality firearm - never fails or jams. The P95 (with two magazines) sells for a little over $300 at Academy. She might want to check on a new one instead. I am curious about the 10 round magazines. The P95 comes with a 15 round magazine standard. 10 round magazines are made for states which limit the magazine to 10 rounds (e.g. California). When the magazine is inserted, the pistol still looks the same. I love my 15 round magazine.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

VIP Member
    P95's are pretty big for a women to handle... Those guns are large and heavy.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I almost always recommend that new shooters try out and pick their own guns. It's hard for others to pick the "best" option. And, price should not be the primary consideration.

VIP Member
    I guess my question would be, what is the gun going to be used for?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by misnomerga View Post
    Is this going to be for carry? Or just range use..getting the feel, and that sort of stuff? The Ruger deal sounds good......(are you actually getting it for you and using this for an excuse?). Sorry...I've just got to ask that question. Do some research on the Bersa pistol through gunsamerica, or gunbroker, and see what they are going for if you can find them. The holster and mag carrier shouldn't really figure into the price....just look at the pistol and the 13rd mags for what they are worth.
    The P95 is a full size pistol for sure, but the Ruger P series are light enough since the frames are fiber/poly, with steel slide. The earlier models were an aluminum frame. Main thing is to have a pistol that's ergonomics work for her. The grip is likely where things will settle in. Most of these pistols have various appendages (safeties, de-cockers, levers, etc.....), that must be reachable and accessible while maintaining a full grip. Everyone is different, and what's left over is adaptability. Women in general are a better shot than men from the beginner level to the competitive. It's just a simple fact. A lot of basics need to go along with how well a new shooter does or doesn't take to a given firearm. If I were to go into those possibilities....I'd be here all night typing. A good deal is only a good deal if you'll use what you get. Otherwise, it's gonna cost ya. Just like the poster this past week about getting his wife or fiance a surprise birthday gift in the form of a pistol. Sometimes the surprise is in what we want to see, and not for the best interests of whom it's for. We're all human, and it's the intention that matters. But we can do better by letting our loved ones choose what's best for them instead of burdening them with choices they might not be ready for, and working with a tool that wasn't designed for them. My best to you in everything you seek.

A small but important point...

This may seem trivial, but between the two guns you and your daughter are considering, which has a magazine that's easier to reload?

The reason I bring this up is that although I'm quite fond of the two Kahrs I own, their magazines are without a doubt the most user-hostile mags I've ever encountered! The complete opposite of 1911 mags. The Kahr mags just about leave me bleeding after I load them.

If the gun shops won't let you load a mag (and I can't blame then if they don't), at least handle the feeding end of the mag to feel for sharp edges that might be painful.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Is it a home/car gun or will it be a concealed carry gun? I have an older P95 and it's an awesome handgun. Rugged, reliable, accurate, never an issue. It is rather large to CC. I have a Bersa Thunder 9UC (not sure how it compares to the mini firestorm) and it is also rugged, reliable, accurate, and never an issue. It is somewhat smaller and easier to carry. It just comes down to fit and purpose.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My wife's choice for 9mm carry gun is a Bersa Ultra Carry 9mm and she still loves her Bersa Thunder 380 also. They have been 100% reliable.

Note: I have the ability to make holsters for both.

In the end, have her choose which one feels right to her. This makes for a happy daughter!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    This may seem trivial, but between the two guns you and your daughter are considering, which has a magazine that's easier to reload?

The reason I bring this up is that although I'm quite fond of the two Kahrs I own, their magazines are without a doubt the most user-hostile mags I've ever encountered! The complete opposite of 1911 mags. The Kahr mags just about leave me bleeding after I load them.

If the gun shops won't let you load a mag (and I can't blame then if they don't), at least handle the feeding end of the mag to feel for sharp edges that might be painful.
    UpLula - never leave home without it!

VIP Member
    For me, it’s hard to armchair such advice without knowing your daughter’s skill level, and intended use. Modern firearms are inherently accurate so a decent group on a couple of range sessions isn’t much to go on. If she’s experienced, then it’s a coin flip. If not, I would recommend something more basic, like' a revolver.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links