Double stack 1911 in 9mm?

This is a discussion on Double stack 1911 in 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone make a fairly cheap 1911 in 9mm? I currently have a S/A XDM in 40 cal that I have only put about 300 ...

Thread: Double stack 1911 in 9mm?

Double stack 1911 in 9mm?

Does anyone make a fairly cheap 1911 in 9mm? I currently have a S/A XDM in 40 cal that I have only put about 300 rounds through. I love this gun but would like to have a 1911 (since I have none). I do not want an 8rd 1911 bc that defeats the purpose of my 17rd XDM.

I know that Taurus made or makes one, but have mixed emotions about Taurus weapons (please lets not make this about glorifying or bashing Taurus, but do chime in about them). So does anyone make a double stack 1911 in 9mm that is around the same price of my XDM? Or maybe just a tad more expensive?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Your best bet is to find a used Para 18-9 in that price range, but not much else.

While Taurus does (did?) make a double stack 1911, I don't think it's available in 9mm. While there are some other makers of double stack 1911s in 9mm, they are out of your stated price range. SVI, STI, Wilson, Fusion, and Nighthawk (new to the double stack market) make double stack 1911s in 9mm, but you're looking at $1500 - $3K

You might be able to find an Armscorp double stack in 9mm as there are some .40s floating around, but a used Para will be easier to find.

Thank you. OK, what if I stem away from the double stack. Any opinions on the best made, cheapest 1911's out there? Preferably in 9mm....but 45 is doable.

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Clay, S_I makes a double stack 1911 in 9mm and other calibers. It's called the 2011, polymer framed,and typically a USPSA competition gun. It's expensive, brace for impact.

Springfield and several other makers have a single stack 1911 in 9mm. Expect to pay upwards of a grand. (I have one, it's very nice, even for a 1911.)

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

What about the STI Spartan?

With a name like claybreaker I would guess you shoot a lot of trap or skeet.I also like either one but no matter how I try and cook them they are still tough and gritty.

If you open up to a single stack .45, your 1911 choices go way up.

Are you looking for a carry gun, or are you just wanting a 1911 for fun? If it's the latter, the Pinoy guns are excellent values; Rock Island and Metro Arms are ones to look at. Para has a new base model that's very affordable - I'd go with the stainless, there have been some satisfaction issues with the painted guns.

Lots and lots of good used 1911s out there too.

As fun as 9mm is in the 1911 platform (I shoot a Dan Wesson PM9 for IDPA) I'm surprised that there aren't more options available. The only production double stacks I know of are Para and STI/SVI. In single stacks, Springfield will most likely be the most affordable in a full size. Dan Wesson has a new Guardian coming out; a Commander size (4.25" bbl), bobtailed alloy frame 9mm. That will be one heck of a cool carry gun.

If you only have one 1911 though, you should consider a .45. That's the classic configuration, and if you've never shot one - you're in for a treat.

Joe

Get a Browning Hi power.

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    If you open up to a single stack .45, your 1911 choices go way up.

Are you looking for a carry gun, or are you just wanting a 1911 for fun? If it's the latter, the Pinoy guns are excellent values; Rock Island and Metro Arms are ones to look at. Para has a new base model that's very affordable - I'd go with the stainless, there have been some satisfaction issues with the painted guns.

Lots and lots of good used 1911s out there too.

As fun as 9mm is in the 1911 platform (I shoot a Dan Wesson PM9 for IDPA) I'm surprised that there aren't more options available. The only production double stacks I know of are Para and STI/SVI. In single stacks, Springfield will most likely be the most affordable in a full size. Dan Wesson has a new Guardian coming out; a Commander size (4.25" bbl), bobtailed alloy frame 9mm. That will be one heck of a cool carry gun.

If you only have one 1911 though, you should consider a .45. That's the classic configuration, and if you've never shot one - you're in for a treat.

Joe

I'm looking for a gun to take over my XDM as a night stand / truck gun. Plus I don't have any 1911's so it would help me in two aspects. When you say I'm in for a treat what do you mean? Does a 45ACP in the 1911 kick less than the 40 Cal in my XDM?

You're talking about a BHP or CZ75.

Double stack: Check
    9mm: Check
    Functionally identical to M1911: check

.45 in a steel frame gun has more of a "push" than the "snap" of a .40 - especially in a polymer framed gun. It's just a really pleasant sensation.

A Hi Power or CZ75 would be a good choice - they have a nearly identical manual of arms to a 1911 and are both excellent firearms. The trigger is not quite the same though, even on the BHP or a SA CZ75. Both designs use the more common pivoting trigger, while the 1911 trigger travels straight back. It's a very subtle difference, but noticeable.

Joe

As AZCHEVY said..it's called a Browning Hi Power...here's my matte hard chrome BHP.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

+1 on the Hi Power

it meets all of your criteria.

I don't think that Taurus makes a double stack 9mm 1911, at least I couldn't find one on their website.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The BHP is truly the path to enlightenment, but to achieve nirvana
    you must have a 1911 .45 , grasshopper.
    (JMHO)
    "This is who we are."

Links