Important Thing to remember -

This is a discussion on Important Thing to remember - within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was bouncing around looking online for information on the RIA 1911A1's, and where to find one at a really good price. I'll be entering ...

Thread: Important Thing to remember -

Important Thing to remember -

I was bouncing around looking online for information on the RIA 1911A1's, and where to find one at a really good price. I'll be entering Gunsmithing school soon, and since the Armscore pistols are built on really well made frames, I thought an RIA would make a great final project. Honestly, who -doesn't- like a nicely customized 1911?

I never get tired of them, I know that much. The SIS series got bit too much press I thought, that got annoying to see it in every magazine for three months. Anyway, moving on.

One of the initial links I found can be located on this board, i would have posted this message there but the thread is closed. I'm not going to simply rehash the thread by starting it anew, I was going to point out something for clarification. So hopefully the moderator's don't get too annoyed with me.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-ria-45-a.html

Quote: "If you don't believe a 1911 45 can fire from being dropped,It happened to me about 15 minutes ago"

Now thank God the only injuries sustained were from a small fragment of tile to the ankle, busted tile floor and a pair of shorts to be disposed of.

However, one important thing to remember is what pattern model a firearm is a reproduction of: not all 1911's are the same and no, only certain patterns of them are drop safe. There's a common misconception to the contrary that because of the grip safety 1911's are drop safe. That's untrue, and should be paid attention to with care.

The RIA model is a plain 1911A1, or similar to the model 70 series. it does -NOT- have a firing pin block. It is -NOT- drop safe, no pre-series 80 is in fact.

The Rock Island Armory Guns
    "The RIA .45 is standard 1911A1, perhaps the trigger is a bit long, and thatís it. There is no firing pin or drop safety."

So if you're hoping your personal 1911 _is_ drop safe: it's extremely important you do research on who made your model, and what pattern it's a reproduction of.

Carry safely all, take it easy.

2. Remove Ads

Well, if you had the thumb safety on did it break when it fired?

Also there are some Series 70 based 1911s that are CA approved because they pass the drop test. I see this isn't your thread linked to so maybe you don't know the circumstances. It's possible safeties didn't work as intended. After reading it seems like a case of user error in using proper safety when un-holstering. Lesson learned

BTW: I've dropped my unloaded DW CBOB on the hammer and the hammer didn't move.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

los
    Only Series 80 type 1911s have a firing pin safety block. If a chamber loaded [S-70]1911-A1 falls muzzle end, it will have the ability and possibility to discharge, regardless of grip and thumb safety features and engagement.

The only way to minimize the possibility of an accidental discharge in a [condition 1 ~ S-70] 1911-A1, when dropped, is to install a heavy firing pin spring.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Only Series 80 type 1911s have a firing pin safety block. If a chamber loaded 1911-A1 falls muzzle end, it will have the ability and possibility to discharge, regardless of grip and thumb safety features and engagement.

The only way to minimize the possibility of an accidental discharge in a [condition 1] 1911-A1, when dropped, is to install a heavy firing pin spring.
    Which all proper guns have anyway, good springs.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Safety starts with the thing between your ears.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Safety starts with the thing between your ears.
    Agree 100% PS Welcome to DC, Heck of a first post
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Well, this dude never would have had to find that out if he hadn't dropped it.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    The only way to minimize the possibility of an accidental discharge in a [condition 1 ~ S-70] 1911-A1, when dropped, is to install a heavy firing pin spring.
    Many makers are going to titanium firing pins along with heavier springs.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links