Dan Wesson CZ Heritage 1911?

This is a discussion on Dan Wesson CZ Heritage 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for feedback on the Dan Wesson CZ Heritage 1911. I've heard some good things and am considering another Springfield as well, but I can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson CZ Heritage 1911?

Question Dan Wesson CZ Heritage 1911?

Looking for feedback on the Dan Wesson CZ Heritage 1911. I've heard some good things and am considering another Springfield as well, but I can get the DW for $1200 with two new mags. Is the DW the way to go?
    Last edited by JD; May 20th, 2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Removed bold font.
    Wilson Combat Tactical Elite
    Springfield Champion, Springfield Mil Spec, Beretta 92FS
    Smith & Wesson 642, Smith & Wesson 640
    Smith & Wesson 627 Pro Series, Smith & Wesson 629 Classic
    Remington 1100 Competition Master, Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless 300 WSM

2. Remove Ads

A Dan Wesson is a very good gun!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have a DW CBOB not the heritage.
    It has been completely reliable from day 1 (well over 1000 rounds now)
    The quality fit and finish are amazing.
    It is dead on accurate
    and looks great.

Sled

GM
    I have a DW CBOB .45, and I can tell that is is a beautiful firearm!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The Dan Wesson is a better gun than a Springfield, unless you're looking at something above their TRP. At $1200 it's not a bad deal at all. If you start moving up in price points there's tougher competition from semi-custom manufacturers. However, below $1500 is pretty much ruled by Kimber, Dan Wesson, and Springfield with a bit of Sig or Smith & Wesson in there too. Of all of these, the Dan Wesson is the best quality.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Great range gun! Very good quality and a fair price.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The DW 1911's are possibly the best semi-custom 1911s made today in the sub $1200 range.

My Pointman 7 has been a great performer. I paid about $825 for it acouple years ago.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    The DW 1911's are possibly the best semi-custom 1911s made today in the sub $1200 range.

My Pointman 7 has been a great performer. I paid about $825 for it acouple years ago.

Very nice piece! I wish I had gotten more DW's then.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

To be clear, Dan Wesson is not a semi-custom. It's a high end production 1911. In the same league as a Springfield TRP or some of the Kimber Custom shop guns, which BTW kimber doesn't really have. A custom shop that is. They're not in the same league as something from the Smith & Wesson performance center or Springfield Custom Shop which are more along the lines of what you could get through Wilson Combat or Nighthawk etc. Something built with your personal tastes.

This doesn't necessarily denote the quality of the firearm in question, to say it's just a high end production gun. The fitting is very good on them and they look very clean. Some things could use more fine tuning or finishing touch but they are not out to compete with the semi-custom market so what they offer is actually quite good when compared to other firearms in the same class.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    To be clear, Dan Wesson is not a semi-custom. It's a high end production 1911. In the same league as a Springfield TRP or some of the Kimber Custom shop guns, which BTW kimber doesn't really have. A custom shop that is. They're not in the same league as something from the Smith & Wesson performance center or Springfield Custom Shop which are more along the lines of what you could get through Wilson Combat or Nighthawk etc. Something built with your personal tastes.

100% correct information! They are NOT semi-customs guns. Just very nice "production" guns.

I've got a factory-second DW (CBOB).

Good: Dead-nuts accurate. I had a Springfield Mil-Spec before this, and this shorter gun is much more accurate. Eats a variety of JHP ammunition; has never malfunctioned. Thumb safety shape where it rides the plunger makes it engage with a certain nice firm "snap" I like. My favorite handgun.

Bad: Beavertail fit a little loosely and rattled a little; fixed in about 10 minutes with shims made from Harbor Freight feeler gauges (I think the beavertail fit made it a factory second... nothing else really wrong with it that I can see).

DW's have a pretty good reputation. As for the Heritage, I like that there are no forward cocking serrations. Does not appear to have a checkered frontstrap, which I'd spend extra for but may not be a problem for you.

VIP Member
    The Dan Wesson is a better gun than a Springfield, unless you're looking at something above their TRP. At $1200 it's not a bad deal at all. If you start moving up in price points there's tougher competition from semi-custom manufacturers. However, below $1500 is pretty much ruled by Kimber, Dan Wesson, and Springfield with a bit of Sig or Smith & Wesson in there too. Of all of these, the Dan Wesson is the best quality.
    Yes, an accurate statement except for the Dan Wesson Valor. It is going to be just about $1,700.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Yes, an accurate statement except for the Dan Wesson Valor. It is going to be just about $1,700.
    Naw... I seen one today for just under $1500. 2010 model.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Naw... I seen one today for just under $1500. 2010 model.
    I stand corrected.
    I had 4 this year that had been on allocation for about 6 months. I didn't jack up the price. They were gone in 30 minutes. I sold them for $1430.00. I don't expect any more this year.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    To be clear, Dan Wesson is not a semi-custom. It's a high end production 1911.
    Semi-custom as a term does not denote that the handgun comes from a custom shop, it denotes its was built with certain custom made and fitted parts, features and attention to detail just like a custom shop gun but not to the same exacting degree, and regardless if its at time of final production or afterwards. But feel free to use whatever verbage you desire.

It has "semi-custom features" is the point here . The entire DW 1911 lineup is for all intents semi-custom shop pistols from CZ since they do not produce basic 1911's. All their 1911s have the custom like features as I stated. Its does not matter if it comes from a small garage shop or a hi tech manufacturing facility its the features, hand fitting and polishing of these parts and quality of the build that count. Any gun with these features therefore has to have many of them hand fitted and polished, which IMO is semi-custom work. Nobody really builds 1911's or AR either for that matter, they assemble parts, if we want to pick nits. High end production 1911s are semi-custom work guns by nature, with the work being performed at time of production as oppopsed to later by a custom shop.
    Last edited by pirate; May 22nd, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links