XD40sc vs M&P40sc

This is a discussion on XD40sc vs M&P40sc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm considering one of the subcompacts. I have a G26 and I just do not like the ergos, even though I shoot it fairly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD40sc vs M&P40sc

XD40sc vs M&P40sc

Hi,

I'm considering one of the subcompacts. I have a G26 and I just do not like the ergos, even though I shoot it fairly well. I also want to go up to .40 cal. I know with the M&P I get that 10 plus one, for XD it's 9. This is the max here in NY so, the XD extended mag doesn't mean much to me. I'm planning on doing a trigger job on either if I'm not thappy with the factory trigger. I plan on sending it to the OEM for any work. Nice thing about Springfield is that they will eve put on your choice of different sights (XS Big Dots for me) as long as you supply them. SW won't. Anyone have any experience with both? Which do you prefer and why? Thanks
    Last edited by ajgranda; May 21st, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

ntg
    I've fondled all three you've mentioned. The G26/27 didn't do much for me for your same reasons. I've shot both the XD40sc and the XD9sc many times. They are both great outfits! The M&P is a good choice too. I feel the extra half inch in it's length is a difference. It isn't a noteable difference in velocity/ballistics, but the length could make the difference if you appendix carry or sit a lot with it on, as I do. It's a small difference, but noteworthy to me. Either are a great choice. I'd try to shoot both if you can..as that will tell you a lot. Also note that the M&P's width is in the grip and may be a little easier to conceal. The XD is more square having a blockier slide and may be a little harder to hide. I love the way the XD drives, honestly, but haven't been able to shoot the M&P. I hope this helps.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

I have shot both extensively, and I went with the M&P9c over the XD9sc for a few reasons: 1) I was noticeably more accurate with the M&P9c, 2) while the M&P is about half an inch longer than the XD, it is nearly half an inch shorter in height, and the XD is a tiny bit wider than the M&P (Length usually doesn't matter for CC, usually height/width are the difference between getting made and not getting made), 3) both felt excellent in my hands, but I preferred the so-called "combat" angle grip of the M&P to the so-called "target-shooting or competition" angle of the XD.

The XD would have saved me about $70 had I purchased it over the M&P, but I just really, really liked the M&P. Either will work, just pick the one that YOU like better. Both are known to be extremely reliable, so you are good either way in that department.

I'll list specs below:

XD9sc Specs:

Barrel Length - 3.0"
    Overall Length - 6.25"
    Height - 4.75"
    Width - 1.25"
    Capacity - 13+1 or 16+1
    Weight - 26oz w/ Empty Compact Mag, 27oz w/ Ex-mag

M&P9c (They don't have a true "subcompact").:

Barrel Length - 3.5"
    Overall Length - 6.7"
    Height - 4.3"
    Width - 1.2"
    Capacity - 12+1 or 17+1 w/ ex-mag
    Weight - 21.7oz w/ NO mag
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Hi,

I have had both as well. The m&p is just a better firearm for me, the ergos/made in USA/size/accuracy. Both are fine guns.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

ntg
    You can't go wrong with either. FWIW, I've had zero hiccups w/ my XDsc.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

I like my SA XD40 SC! It's a great gun! Trigger is great after a couple hundred rounds.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Hi,

Well I went today to the GD and definitely preferred the grip (best grip of any subcompact for me) and trigger of the XD over the M&P. The XD trigger seemed more Glock like, which I am very familiar with. The XD had a longer backstrap than the M&P which felt better in my hands. I even didn't mind the feel of the XD without the extensions since I have thin fingers and could get a 2 and 3/4 finger grip. The mag release seemed easier for me to manipulate on the XD. The M&P did look better cosmetically to me, but did not feel as sturdy. Maybe because it weighs less . It's definitely the better looking gun. I did like the fact that the M&P had the longer barrel and the extra round capacity. The extension that comes with the XD obviously allows a full grip, but doesn't increase mag capacity here in NY. It's also huge (XXL Hands would fit with these) and I would never use it during carry. I think I will stick with the XD which probably only makes sense since I will be buying an XD45Compact.

Oh yeah, I also feel in love with a S&W 2.5" 686 plus .357 revolver I need to think about.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

The M&P is a far superior firearm to the XD and so are the compact Glocks. I do not even put an XD into the same category as those two. They have a ridiculously high bore axis which causes excessive muzzle flip, they have a grip safety that sucks, The magazines are junk and exhibit excessive feed lip creep after awhile resulting in unreliable feeding, and it's not like they are much more inexpensive.

Reliabilty wise I think the XD would be fine if it were not for those garbage mags. Get the m&p and call it a day.

Buy the XD... Those Croatian kids need new shoes.

Don't buy the M&P... American kids have too much as it is.

Oh, wait! America isn't in the best shape now days... Reverse the above statements.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    The XD isn't in the same boat as the M&P/Glock. That is like comparing a Cadillac to a Kia. Go with the M&P.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Smile

I would choose the XD due to ergonomics and concealability. Austria9Glock), Germany(Sig), Croatia(XD), Israel(IWI) etc. Does it really matter where the weapon is made or the parent company is at to determine what wea;pon is good or not? It amazes me how some people trash anything except their own perceived favorite gun. Most of the time they trash it based on strictly speculation because they have not owned or shot one of the other brands.

I have many other handguns that are 3-4 times the cost of my XDsc, yet I always find myself carrying the XD. Mag capacity, reliability, and the ability to ride IWB appendix are why I always choose the XDsc. I've never had any problems with the factory magazines. I am well above the 6000-7000 round mark now. Never one hiccup, malfunction of any kind. I shoot very well with the XD. It just points naturally for me. The trigger could be better, but then again i'm used to shooting 1911's lol. It has never hindered me though from shooting bullseyes at 7-10 yards.

I've shot the M&P lineup and glock as well and they just didn't do anything for me. They are all great guns, but everyone is different...Best thing you can do is go to a range that rents guns or borrow a friends...and shoot them all before buying.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    I would choose the XD due to ergonomics and concealability. Austria9Glock), Germany(Sig), Croatia(XD), Israel(IWI) etc. Does it really matter where the weapon is made or the parent company is at to determine what wea;pon is good or not? It amazes me how some people trash anything except their own perceived favorite gun. Most of the time they trash it based on strictly speculation because they have not owned or shot one of the other brands.
    For me it's not perceived brands. I have owned all three and have shot each of the extensively. Now when I say extensively I mean years and thousands of rounds.

All three, M&P/Glock/XD have preformed very well and I never had reliability issues. I would trust my life to either of the three brands and calibers in that brand I have owned. I have said this before and I will say it again, I like M&P's and Glocks over XD's for one major reason. Lower Bore Axis..... My XD's felt like driving a jacked up 4x4 truck in hand. M&P's and Glocks feel like a low to the ground sports car.

In answering the comment above about manufacturing and country of origin. I am very proud to be an American and if I can own quality US brands then I will. I love that S&W is made in the USA and I also think it's great that Ford is standing strong and putting out some great new vehicles.

(I brake for Toyota's)
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have an M&P c 45, and for me, it's a great pistol - super accurate and easy to control. I've had several 1911's and a SIG 220, and I like the M&P better. That said, I picked up an XD 45 compact Wednesday. It's a bit taller, but the same length and width, and holds more rounds. Both have 4 inch barrels. I haven't shot it yet, but if the XD is close to being as good as the M&P, I will be happy.

I was almost set on the M&Pc in 40 but then I actually shot one at the range and was able to compare to the xd40sc.

The M&P felt better handling at the counter ... and the xd felt sort of ungainly, not the best word, but I liked holding the M&P better. Then I took them to the range. Shooting I grouped noticeably tighter with the xd40sc and it felt much more natural to me to shoot, recover, aim, shoot again, etc. Suddenly the tables were turned, and the gun which I wasn't fond of for a few reasons (looks were one) had won me over.

At first I didn't believe what was going on so I tried adjusting my grip, etc on the M&P. But still the same results.

I think I shot about 30-40 rounds before deciding the xd was just better for me.

I say that not to say the xd is better ... it's only better for me ... I highly recommend trying to find one of each at a range and trying it out. Ergonomics are a funny thing and I'm convinced that no matter how much you handle the gun, you won't really know until you shoot it.

Now I will say I didn't shoot horribly with the M&P, it was still very acceptable, and if I had bought it without trying out I'm sure I could have adjusted to it. Maybe it needed a different backstrap on the grip, I don't know. But I went with what was natural on the range, and that was the xd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links