Taurus 709 SLIM range report

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 SLIM range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was pleasantly surprised how smooth this gun shot right out of the box today . I ran 150 rounds through it without any hiccups ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 709 SLIM range report

I was pleasantly surprised how smooth this gun shot right out of the box today . I ran 150 rounds through it without any hiccups . I put federal , winchester(wb) and speer through it and it ate it all . It shot a great consistent silver dollar size group at different distances from 3 to 7 yards. For a pocket pistol I think it was a great little gun and it wasn't even mine . My buddy just bought it and asked me to go to the range with him to break it in and I'm glad I did. I have large hands and really enjoyed shooting it . I'm now considering buying one for summer wear here in florida.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised how smooth this gun shot right out of the box today . I ran 150 rounds through it without any hiccups . I put federal , winchester(wb) and speer through it and it ate it all . It shot a great consistent silver dollar size group at different distances from 3 to 7 yards. For a pocket pistol I think it was a great little gun and it wasn't even mine . My buddy just bought it and asked me to go to the range with him to break it in and I'm glad I did. I have large hands and really enjoyed shooting it . I'm now considering buying one for summer wear here in florida.
    When mine functioned correctly I was very impressed. It was accurate, had a good trigger, and was a pleasure to carry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

los
    I purchased mine in early Feb and it's been a reliable pistol from the get-go. Early on, many operators had reported FTE that were being caused by flawed first gen extractors. Taurus has since redesigned the extractor and are replacing them on their nickle. They'll even ship a new extractor to you for DIY installation, which is about a 3 minute job.

Anyway, the Slim is a very good CCW. It's very light but has very controllable felt recoil. It comes with safety features found on more expensive handguns. Overall, it's a pretty good bang for the buck.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I wanted one of these bad but ended up buying a SR9c instead due to all the horror stories.

I'm VERY happy with the sr9c, maybe one day I'll take a look at these again. Glad your ecperience was positive, don't hear that much with these.

I've had mine about 7 months and I've got 1,000 flawless rounds through it. Super easy to carry, accurate, and a nice shooter. It's a great summer carry piece.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I just shot another 100 rounds through mine today. I am at about 850 problem free rounds right now. I just wished they made a pinky extension for it. I have seen posts where people have used used the Kel-Tec PF9 and the Kahr PM9 pinky extension on the Taurus PT709 magazine. It fits, not perfect but gives more control when shooting. God Bless :)

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I just shot another 100 rounds through mine today. I am at about 850 problem free rounds right now. I just wished they made a pinky extension for it. I have seen posts where people have used used the Kel-Tec PF9 and the Kahr PM9 pinky extension on the Taurus PT709 magazine. It fits, not perfect but gives more control when shooting. God Bless :)
    I saw a thread over on the Taurus owners forum that stated Pearce had a pinky extension for the 709 in "tool up" and that it should be available mid July.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

only problem I've had is one of the mags falls out when I shoot. Taurus will send me a new mag when I ship the old one to them. Can't complain. Really like the 709.

Taurus offers a 10rd mag now but nobody has it in stock at this time as far as the wholesalers go. It shows availible but nobody has them .

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    Taurus offers a 10rd mag now but nobody has it in stock at this time as far as the wholesalers go. It shows availible but nobody has them .
    Do you have link where they are offering this as I have never heard of a 10 round the PT709. I know there was talk of a 9 round extended magazine but heard they are not pursuing this. God Bless :)

I've got a 709 SLIM that I've put about 100+ rounds through so far, no problem.
    Most of the rounds were either +P or +P+ (figured I might as well "break in" or test with what I would actually carry).

http://www.gunblast.com

I read a review from the above website and he recommended this gun highly. What specific ammo do you recommend for reliable operation for SD?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    http://www.gunblast.com

I read a review from the above website and he recommended this gun highly. What specific ammo do you recommend for reliable operation for SD?
    Mine fed 147g speer gold dots well.

Hornady Critical Defense runs well through mine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Hornady Critical Defense runs well through mine.
    Same here.
    250+ problem free rounds so far.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links