Sig P229 Elite, Good EDC?

This is a discussion on Sig P229 Elite, Good EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking about my next gun purchase, I thought about the P250 at first. The more I look, I really like the looks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Sig P229 Elite, Good EDC?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array TJK68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    834

    Sig P229 Elite, Good EDC?

    I have been thinking about my next gun purchase, I thought about the P250 at first. The more I look, I really like the looks of the P229 Elite. I was just wondering if anybody has any experiance with this pistol as an EDC. I looked at the the P226, but the P229 is smaller and thought it might conceal better. I think I am going to go with the 9mm when I decide. Give me your thoughts, is it to heavy, does it conceal well, is it a good shooter, and most of all any problems you may have had.


    Thanks Tom

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array gatorgrizz27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    I carry a 229 in a crossbreed supertuck in the appendix position some of the time, but mostly just have a J-frame in the pocket. If you are used to carrying a larger gun and the weight it shouldn't be a problem, but it is definitely a trade-off both ways. It also depends on how concealed you have to be. There are some areas that I carry where I do not want any potential for printing, someone bumping into my gun, or my shirt coming up a bit and pocket carry is the only way to go for that.

    In terms of the gun itself, I have a .40 and love shooting it. It has never jammed or malfunctioned on me, has an awesome trigger, and is very smooth and accurate. The only gun I have picked up that I felt was easier to shoot accurately instinctively and without any practice was a Springfield XD. I think the Sig is a better made firearm, but that may or may not be worth anything, and isn't necessarily related to reliability.

    In all honesty though, I am considering picking up a Glock because of capacity. I would much rather shoot my Sig because of the feel, but if you can have a gun the same size with 4-6 more rounds and less weight, it may be a wiser choice. Price may also be a benefit, it isn't for me since I already have the Sig and won't be selling it.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array TJK68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    I carry a 229 in a crossbreed supertuck in the appendix position some of the time, but mostly just have a J-frame in the pocket. If you are used to carrying a larger gun and the weight it shouldn't be a problem, but it is definitely a trade-off both ways. It also depends on how concealed you have to be. There are some areas that I carry where I do not want any potential for printing, someone bumping into my gun, or my shirt coming up a bit and pocket carry is the only way to go for that.

    In terms of the gun itself, I have a .40 and love shooting it. It has never jammed or malfunctioned on me, has an awesome trigger, and is very smooth and accurate. The only gun I have picked up that I felt was easier to shoot accurately instinctively and without any practice was a Springfield XD. I think the Sig is a better made firearm, but that may or may not be worth anything, and isn't necessarily related to reliability.

    In all honesty though, I am considering picking up a Glock because of capacity. I would much rather shoot my Sig because of the feel, but if you can have a gun the same size with 4-6 more rounds and less weight, it may be a wiser choice. Price may also be a benefit, it isn't for me since I already have the Sig and won't be selling it.


    I carry a 1911 most of the time, I figured the weight would be close to that, as far as capacity goes the 229 has 13+1, this is a lot more than I am used too, with 8+1 in the 1911's. I won't carry it all the time, it will get a lot of HD use, but it will get some carry duty in my EDC rotation.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,046
    I carried a P229/.40 without a problem...SIG=Simple Is Good...You can't go wrong with SIG
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,323
    I carry a P228, it is very concealable, and usable as an EDC. They can be a bit bulky and do require determination to conceal effectively.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array C hawk Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    W. Washington
    Posts
    3,552
    Great firearm, it's big for CC
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

  8. #7
    Member Array happydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    32
    The beavertail on the Elites seem to hamper the draw. The P229 SAS doesn't have the beavertail while having the other features of the Elite (Short reset trigger, night sights, etc). The only thing you're missing out on with the SAS is the rail.

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,709
    I also carry a P228, and echo what has been said. It can be concealed, but it isn't a pocket gun. If you're used to a 1911, it will be a little bit thicker (obviously), but plenty of folks CC similar sized guns every day. If you want to increase capacity, there are 15 (and more!) round mags available though these, of course, are bulkier. When I'm wearing a jacket (most of the time up here in the Andes), I keep a 15 round mag (a P226 mag with the appropriate spacer) in the mag well, and have no issues with it.

    I can only assume that the Elite is at least as smooth, accurate, and reliable as my stock P228 has been (12k + rounds, one failure: dud round).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  10. #9
    Member Array MSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I also carry a P228, and echo what has been said. It can be concealed, but it isn't a pocket gun. If you're used to a 1911, it will be a little bit thicker (obviously), but plenty of folks CC similar sized guns every day. If you want to increase capacity, there are 15 (and more!) round mags available though these, of course, are bulkier. When I'm wearing a jacket (most of the time up here in the Andes), I keep a 15 round mag (a P226 mag with the appropriate spacer) in the mag well, and have no issues with it.

    I can only assume that the Elite is at least as smooth, accurate, and reliable as my stock P228 has been (12k + rounds, one failure: dud round).
    Same. I carry a 228, which is the basically an earlier version of the 229. Same size etc, the 229 is a slight upgrade. Like OPFOR, I have about 12-15K rounds fired through mnie with NO service/maintenance above operator level, just ritualistic cleaning. (I'm about to send it in for Sig's service plan, but this is purely preventive since I have about 3 times over the roung count where they recommend it.) The only time I ever had a failure, it was a bad after-market mag, not the pistol. Mec-gar makes a 15 round 9mm mag that sits flush with the grip. The two I have have been very reliable. I carry IWB in a Comp-Tac, C-Tac holster. Wearing a normal fit polo or button up untucked, you can't see it. My Blackberry that I wear on the opposite hip prints worse. Shirt tucked in, it prints a little more, mainly at the belt line, but that could be my body shape.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    If I were you I would get the P229 in .40 or .357sig. That way you can later get the conversion kit for 9mm. The .40 or .357sig can change calibers between themselves with just a barrel change. You can't change a 9mm to .40 or .357sig.

  12. #11
    Member Array Ceapea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by happydude View Post
    The beavertail on the Elites seem to hamper the draw.
    I hear this a lot when referring to Sig Elite models. Yet, it seems that no one ever mentions the beaver tail when talking 1911's. I've got a P220 Elite and the tail is not a problem in the least. How about anybody else, any problem with the beaver tail on the Elite?

    Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array TJK68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    834
    Thanks for the replies guys, I will consider all of your info. I think as the gun fund grows I will be getting a SIG and will probably give the Elite a try.
    Thanks Alot

  14. #13
    Member Array afcarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in America
    Posts
    88
    I have a 220 carry as my CCW gun. It does require some thought to conceal but it can be done.

  15. #14
    Member Array SirLingPing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    80
    I carried a P229 for years but found it too heavy and thick for CC with tucked shirts or close fitting tees. I ended up carrying it a lot in my bag to work instead of IWB. When it came time to replace it I promised myself that I'd get something slimmer that weighed 20 oz or less. I looked hard at the Sig 239 but it still weighed over 25 oz. If you can get used to the P250 trigger it should be a better EDC choice.

  16. #15
    Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where ever the government says go
    Posts
    1,744
    I CC a 229 daily
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911


    If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW
    By Deputy40 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: December 12th, 2013, 09:20 AM
  2. Sig P229 elite Dark
    By Maxime75us in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 24th, 2010, 09:42 PM
  3. Finally here! Sig P229 Elite (PICS ADDED)
    By usmc3169 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: July 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
  4. P229 Elite
    By Phantomoak in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: February 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
  5. New-to-me - Sig P229 Elite Stainless (Pictures)
    By SigSire in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: January 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Search tags for this page

p229 edc
,
p229 elite
,
sig edc
,

sig p229 beavertail

,
sig p229 beavertail special
,
sig p229 dark elite
,

sig p229 edc

,

sig p229 elite

,
sig p229 elite concealed carry
,

sig p229 elite dark

,
sig p229 magwell
,

sig p229 upgrades

Click on a term to search for related topics.