Thinking of picking up a Dan Wesson Valor Bobtail

This is a discussion on Thinking of picking up a Dan Wesson Valor Bobtail within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have found one that can be mine if I decide to do it. The only thing is I'm going to have to trade my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of picking up a Dan Wesson Valor Bobtail

I have found one that can be mine if I decide to do it. The only thing is I'm going to have to trade my DW CBOB for it. I don't have a problem with doing that as it would replace my CBOB as my EDC. I would rather try to sell it outright on GB or GA as I've seen them fetching over $1300 for the DW Classic. I even saw a '08 go for $1500!

Anyways. I'm just amazed at the quality of this new Valor SS Bobtail. I've been reading many of the reviews on 1911forum and they've been getting giddy over the amazing quality that Keith and the crew at DW has been able to pull of and for such an amazing price! I mean this thing had the nicest feeling trigger of any production or semi-custom 1911 at any price. I held a Nighthawk T3 next to it and a EB Exec Carry also. I couldn't tell what the extra grand was really going for? If the others were maybe $300 or $400 more, then I'd say well maybe they're worth that. Not for what I see in them for this amount.

There has been a lot of talk about how the folks at DW were going down a loosing path with this move, but now that I've experienced the VBOB. I'd have to say they've really out done themselves! These are guns that if you put a name like Wilson or EB on the side and asked $2500 for them... They'd sell! I'm excited to try to make the move and have one of these beauty's in my hands. I'll post pics if I can make the deal happen.

You've done this in other threads. Go buy it be happy and stop being a fanboy on the forum. The Vbob is nice, but it is not a Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, or Volkman.

I'll say this again. There is a reason the gun is NOT $2000 and YES there IS a difference, a very large one. If you can't see it then you're not the connoisseur that Nighthawk and Wilson are marketing to.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

If its going to be an EDC, and your CBOB already serves that purpose without flaw, why the need to upgrade to a VBOB?! Kinda like buying a Ferrari to commute to work! A carry gun needs to serve one function... reliability. I say, take all that, "Ooh, look at the level of fit and finish!" and keep it in the safe. Get a VBOB if ya really want one, and keep your dingy 'ol CBOB as the carry gun.
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

just looked at one yesterday. spend a little more and get a baer, wilson, or brown.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    You've done this in other threads. Go buy it be happy and stop being a fanboy on the forum. The Vbob is nice, but it is not a Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, or Volkman.

I'll say this again. There is a reason the gun is NOT $2000 and YES there IS a difference, a very large one. If you can't see it then you're not the connoisseur that Nighthawk and Wilson are marketing to.
    Are you talking? All I hear from you is "Blah, Blah, Blah" You haven't seen one or held one I'm betting and I don't care what your opinion is. Now, Piss off.

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    If its going to be an EDC, and your CBOB already serves that purpose without flaw, why the need to upgrade to a VBOB?! Kinda like buying a Ferrari to commute to work! A carry gun needs to serve one function... reliability. I say, take all that, "Ooh, look at the level of fit and finish!" and keep it in the safe. Get a VBOB if ya really want one, and keep your dingy 'ol CBOB as the carry gun.
    Yea, I'm kinda thinking that too. Do I really want to carry this "Ferrari" and give up my CBOB that is very reliable. Now that it's been broken in, I've yet to have a ftf or any thing else. Thanks for the thoughts Darren.

I'm not so sure I'd compare the VBOB against a Baer or a Brown although that IS what DW wants to do. It's your money and your carry gun Steve, .... have at it if that's what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    I'm not so sure I'd compare the VBOB against a Baer or a Brown although that IS what DW wants to do. It's your money and your carry gun Steve, .... have at it if that's what you want.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm getting set to not go for it. Just going to keep my CBOB and enjoy it's reliability. It's a great gun and if there's one thing I've heard that makes sense is "Never sell or trade a known reliable 1911!"

Quote Originally Posted by DW Steve View Post
    ..."Never sell or trade a known reliable 1911!"
    Yea, I can go with that.

I'm not saying, don't get a VBOB... I just see no reason to 'upgrade' from the CBOB. I think it does its job as well as can be expected.

Beer?!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I agree with the others, keep what you have if you know you can count on it. I have a CBOB that is my EDC and trust my life to it, it is an excellant firearm, but once again it is not a Brown, Baer, Wilson, etc.....
    DW filled a niche in the 1911 price range which IMHO they are pricing their self out of and trying to compete with custom 1911 makers. I would like very much to have a new Valor, but I keep telling myself for a little more I can get one of the aforementioned makers and have a better pistol. I love my DW but I am not willing to pay double the price to get another, not now at least. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    Yea, I can go with that.

I'm not saying, don't get a VBOB... I just see no reason to 'upgrade' from the CBOB. I think it does its job as well as can be expected.

Beer?!
    I'm inclined to agree. I'll probably have it bead blasted with a "fine satin" to look like the EB in satin SS.

DW Valor

I'm also smitten with the Valor - really wish I had purchased one last year. Came close to pulling the trigger on a 2010 model in March, but after sleeping on it, ordered a LB TRS for $300 more.......granted I have to wait 12 -16 weeks for Les to build the TRS, but I'm almost there!

DW was riding along selling everything they built then they come up with some non-sense about better quality products and jumped the price almost $300 per pistol model (nothing more than greed - and the cabbage patch doll syndrome) - Get lost...

There an assembly line pistol and do not warrant the prices they are TRYING to get ... Take a pass on anything DW - my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by DW Steve View Post
    Are you talking? All I hear from you is "Blah, Blah, Blah" You haven't seen one or held one I'm betting and I don't care what your opinion is. Now, Piss off.
    Lol nice...that's a way to make friends on a forum YOU are new to.

I have held a Vbob and fired it side by side with an Ed Brown. There was a difference. Quite a hefty one as I said before in another thread. You said these exact words in another thread and I assure you I did test them both and give both a hard look. Face it you made a thread looking for reassurance. I take serious issue with you talking about Wilsons and Browns being nothing more than a name. You don't go around telling everyone who drives a BMW or Mercedes that they should have bought a Honda do you? I doubt it.

I don't care if you think the vbob is better, but do not come around belittling people who purchase high end guns. You may as well just say "if you spend more you're stupid" because that's exactly how your post reads to me.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    High-end custom handguns are no different than designer clothing, watches, ultra luxury cars or any other item people want to own to feel exclusive and feed their egos for the most part. I earn a very good living and can buy top line firearms if I am so inclined and often do. I own several high end guns of many types/makes, and have owned many hi end 1911's through the years including guns by Ed Brown and Wilson, and while the build quality was outstanding for the most part and the handguns were very accurate they were no more reliable than 1911’s I have owned that cost half as much. The same goes for AR rifles for the most part, which has also been a big issue lately on this forum. Very capable and reliable 1911’s and AR rifles can be had for under $1000, without a doubt. I know this for a fact, and often the higher priced guns are not worth the cost difference. This is not always the case by any means but often is. I just wish people who have no personal, first hand experience with a particular gun would stop acting like they know what they are talking about when all they are doing is basically rehashing something they read somewhere or something somebody told them, or coming to some ill conceived conclusions based on nothing but opinion while trying to justify or validate their purchases and the guns they own. Post count on this forum means nothing if you offer nothing but BS and post only to feed your need for self-esteem. Take every thing you read on the web including this forum with a big dose of salt.
    Last edited by pirate; May 26th, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links