New PPS 9mm - My perfect CCW

This is a discussion on New PPS 9mm - My perfect CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally picked up my Walther PPS 9mm about 2 weeks ago after several months of selecting, ordering and red tape. The fit and finish ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PPS 9mm - My perfect CCW

I finally picked up my Walther PPS 9mm about 2 weeks ago after several months of selecting, ordering and red tape. The fit and finish was superb and the slim contour made it so easy to conceal. The 7-round magazine gave the perfect grip - much smaller than a full size auto but not as small a pocket gun - just right.

I followed the advice on the PPS forum re cleaning, lubing and breaking in before heading to the range. The slide movement started off feeling gritty and stiff but by day 3 it was much smoother and the trigger also felt smoother the more dry firing I did (snap caps). I did notice with dry firing that I had to re-learn my trigger pull and grip as I tended to push to the right when the trigger broke. I was able to perfect the trigger pull so that the front sight stayed dead on when the trigger broke.

I felt very pleased up to this point and was impressed with the aesthetics of the gun. Then I headed to the range today. Wow! It blew me away. The recoil was so soft and I was putting most of the shots in a 2" circle at 7 yards. Most of my shots were placed very slightly left between 9 and 10 o'clock with a few dead center. I love the trigger too. Light and crisp. Overall it was a very impressive first outing. I even outshot my brother who was shooting his Browning Hi-Power.

I did have a small hiccup. I shot 40 flawless rounds of Magtech 115gr FMJ ammo then closed the session with 5 rounds of Corbon 125gr +P. I experienced a FTE after the first round of the Corbon. The empty casing remained in the chamber and the fresh round came up and rear ended it. Can't figure out what happened but I cleared it and fired the rest without a hitch. The recoil of the +P was noticeable but very manageable and not at all uncomfortable. I had expected recoil to be an issue for a pistol this small and light but it shot very softly.

I had to end the range session earlier than planned as a state of emergency was declared in my city due to major violence. Despite the anxiety about this on the drive back home I was nonetheless beaming and contented over the awesome PPS that sat snugly in my waist. I am very happy with my purchase. I've found my perfect CCW!

Happy you found the right gun for you!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I think its time to get me one too! :-)
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I am assuming that you fired the 5 rounds of corbon to test out the load you plan on carrying as your defensive load? If that is the case I wouldn't trust it for CCW yet if 1/5th of your defensive rounds failed. I would put at least a box of 20 down the pipe. Yes, I know it hurts the pocket book but in comparison your life is worth a lot more. This is part of the reason that I carry a slightly less expensive 9mm defense load. Either 147g federal HST or 147g speer gold dots. Both can be had in law enforcement boxes of 50 for under 30.00 bucks.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Congratulations on your excellent choice of a self defense handgun. My wife carries a 9mm PPS and I own one also, although I carry a Walther PPK/S. You might want to pick up some inexpensive ammo, I won't say cheap because I don't think there is such a thing anymore, and run about 300 to 500 round through it. At that point it functions flawlessly. We own numerous handguns including 6 Glocks so we could carry almost anything, but the Walther's are our choice because they are easy to conceal, accurate and dependable. Don't forget to send in for your free 7 round magazine promotion from Walther.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The answer would have lied in the brass case itself. Any time I have a failure I save the brass for examination.

I would also have contacted corbon if it was a defective round.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

GM
    Congrats to the new PPS! It is a very cool gun . I have been looking at PPS for a while now.

I do not know what break-in period the PPS has, but IMO 45 rounds is way too little for a carry gun. Nowadays, 200-300 rounds appear to be the standard break-in period for most pistols. I do not know if it is true or not, but I have read that the PPS loosens up after about 400 rounds; you perhaps could check if that information is right or not. Before a carry a gun it has to shoot at least 200 flawless FMJ rounds right after each other and 100 flawless SD rounds (whatever I choose) also right after each other in addition to the break-in period. I do not shoot hollow point or +p ammo during the break-in period, and they are always last in the schema. Good luck!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

im thinking about buying the 40cal version!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Congrats

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice. Yep, I've been on the PPS forum for months and I realize that a 200 round break-in is recommended. I'm a bit wary of the Corbon as it did hitch twice at home when I was loading the gun for the first time. I wanted to ask you guys what non+P JHP round with good feed reliability you recommend. I wasn't alarmed at the FTE. I expected a couple in the 1st 200 rounds. And guess what? My brother's 14 year old Hi Power also had a FTE firing FMJ rounds!!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLingPing View Post
    Thanks for all the well wishes and advice. Yep, I've been on the PPS forum for months and I realize that a 200 round break-in is recommended. I'm a bit wary of the Corbon as it did hitch twice at home when I was loading the gun for the first time. I wanted to ask you guys what non+P JHP round with good feed reliability you recommend. I wasn't alarmed at the FTE. I expected a couple in the 1st 200 rounds. And guess what? My brother's 14 year old Hi Power also had a FTE firing FMJ rounds!!
    My 9mm range ammo is Federal America Eagle FMJ 115gr and 124gr (standard pressure), and my SD ammo is Corbon DPX 115gr (+p). I do not use +p or hollow point ammo at all during the break-in period. One of my nines is a BHP and it really like that ammo. Actually, I do not even remember last time I had a problem with the HP. I love that gun
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Hi! I'm surprised I'm the only one curious about your location and comments about violence. Can you expand on both. What is the concealed carry laws there? Are you in Jamaica? What violence are your referring to? What's going on there?

PPS in Jamaica

Jsunsr, I'm in Kingston, Jamaica an island about 1.5 hour south of Miami by air. Owning a legal firearm in Jamaica is not very easy. It takes 4-6 months for the licensing process and you have to establish the need, show good character and have a secure home. However, once you are issued a User's License there are no restrictions on CC. You may conceal and carry the weapon anywhere expect restricted areas such as court rooms, sensitive government buildings and large sporting or entertainment events.

There has been an eruption of violence in the western section of the capital Kingston. It is a result of the signing of an US extradition request and the issuing for an arrest warrant for an alleged drug and gun-running king pin. He is reputed to be the head of Jamaica's most powerful underworld gangs and his 'Shower Posse' is claimed to be responsible for 1,400 drug and turf murders in the USA since 1980's. Since the order was signed last week his inner-city community has barricaded all its entrances and exits and have traded shots with anyone who tries to remove them. The community is heavily armed with assault rifles, sniper rifles and handguns and has remained effectively inaccessible to law enforcement for about two decades.

Street protest and road blocks were taking place over the weekend. He has a lot of support from residents in his area as he is generous to those in need and has provided welfare support as the state resources are limited and gives swift justice for wrongdoers.

A limited state of emergency for the capital city was announced on Sunday. About 16 LEO's have been shot and injured and 3 have died. A police station was set on fire, three more came under heavy gunfire and 2 patrol cars torched. Yesterday, the army and police launched a major assault on the community of Tivoli Gardens where the fugitive is hiding. Soldiers in full battle gear, armoured personnel carriers, helicopter firepower and mortars were used. The operation is still in progress. Large parts of the area have been secured by the army but the top BG has not yet been captured. There are still scores of thugs to be rounded up. It is heartening to know that the state is finally restoring control of this criminal infested community.

This inner city model is replicated across the city and suburbs and many law abiding citizens hope that this is the start of a significant turn in our social and crime situation.

Yesterday, my brother and I had to go to the airport to pick up a relative. We had to drive through some tense areas and actually turned back twice as we came up on a police tactical team crouching and tracking down gunmen who had fired on their unit shortly before we drove up. Needless to say, having my Walther PPS at my side gave some reassurance although in such a situation I would have preferred my brother's higher capacity 13 round Browning HP or even an AR-15.

For information, our police carry Glocks 17 and 19, M16's, M4's and H&K MP5's. Our army carries FN SLR's 7.62, M16's and Browning HP's.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Have you no military that will go in and nail this thug?

SirLingPing, my heart and prayers go out to you and your countrymen that you must live in such a bad situation. Unfortunately that is the situation in much of the world and if this economic problem isn't resolved soon, I'm afraid a lot more of the world will have this problem.

We in the U.S. don't understand what others live through on a daily basis unless it is in one of the bad area's of one of our large cities. Outright rebellion against the legal government, as you describe, is not happening, but, violence on individual basis' occur daily.

Unfortunately in many of our large cities, I can speak for Chicago, ordinary citizens are not allowed to carry firearms for self protection. Only the BG's have guns. So in that respect your ahead of us. Unfortunately that appears the only advantage you have.

As you describe in your cities, the BG's in our cities too often have a lot of supporters, but far more citizens who live in fear of their life, and have no way to protect themselves, legally. So now the good guys have to become law breakers just to defend themselves.

We have been a country governed by rule of law. Now that is starting to break down and I fear that our situation will deteriorate over time. Without respect and adherence to the law you have anarchy.

We in the U.S. compare this to what many consider a violent time in our history, known as the 'cowboy era'. What many fail to realize is that when the people got tired of the lawlessness and banded together to enforce the law, only then did things improve. Too often we try to place the responsibility on government agencies and police. In reality we are ultimately responsible for our own safety and how our community views itself. What we tolerate or find intolerable defines who we are. Which is why our fight in the U. S. in defense of our Bill of Rights, which guarantees our right to self protection is so important.

May my (our) God keep you and yours safe and healthy.

I appreciate your response. I read about your situation today in our newsmedia. We have lost respect for our newsmedia and question anything that is reported. So it's good in that respect to hear from someone in the midst. Though I'm sure you would rather not be in the midst. But, thank you. Your report was informative and illuminating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links