Need advice on what to carry. - Page 2

Need advice on what to carry.

This is a discussion on Need advice on what to carry. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Huzar Which XD do you have? .40 or the 9mm? I carry the 9mm....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on what to carry.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    Which XD do you have? .40 or the 9mm?
    I carry the 9mm.

I like having lots of rounds so I used to carry a Para Ordenance P-14 (expensive)

then I caught wind of a good deal on a Taurus PT24/7 Pro in .45
    I paid under 400 for it and I get 12+1 in the gunhides pretty well and it shoots very fast

has no magwelll safety and also goes from single action to double (allowing a second attempt on a primer that doesn't ignite the first time)

I have had LLamas in the past, 2 were lemons, one was excellent...

good luck!!

my son got a USP compact (.40) recently what a great shooter!!

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman
    I carry the 9mm.
    Don't want to hijack the thread too much But I am in similar situation as mark555 and while I am still trying to see if there are any other "Fish" in the sea worth checking out, I think it will just come down to deciding between the 40 or the 9 XD. Problem though is finding a range that has them available to try out

If the xd fits your hand then for sure go for it, its a great piece. As for other options some people dont like the taurus autos but I've had really good luck with them. The Bersa/Firestorm .45's are supposed to be a great bargain. Also dont count out the old standby glocks. Im not too big on them but I can say they're about as reliable and tough as your gonna find. If you want to go upscale a bit look at h&k and sig.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Thank you all for your advice. I have seen some postings on other sites that the Taurus Millennium Pro line might have some problems with the polymer frame cracking after 500+ rounds. Did I misunderstand or get my models mixed up? Or has Taurus fixed the problem? The 24/7 is supposed to be an outstanding weapon. I like the feel of and the price of the Millennium Pro line and was less then happy to see those posting. Has anyone heard the same or am I a bit lost.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

XD fan here myself. I have both the .40SC and the 9SC amongst others.. unfortunately, unless I misread your orginal post, you were looking for a .45 which isn't out yet in SC model. .40 is my personal choice and even shoot one in-state at matches in the Service model.
    24/7 seems to be a nice weapon along with Glocks. The newer Ruger .45 also has a nice grip to it, believe its the 345 model. Like every1 else, try before you buy. Hang out at the local ranges and ask REAL nice of other shooters if you could try theirs out if there is no rentals available. Most will let you try a mag or two.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -- Ben Franklin, 1759 --

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

As some have sad already go out and finger some of the pistols that interest you. Springfield XD is a fine pistol and so is the Glock. I just quit carrying a Glock 19 a few months ago because my department finally got of it's behind and issued us our SIG 229 DAK's. It is a great pistol and I carry it everywhere now.

Only you can decide what's best for you by actually fingering a few pistols and knowing pistol weight and size you are willing to tolerate carrying concealed. Everyone is different about what they are willing to tolerate from a carry pistol. But which ever you decide on spend some good money on a well made gun belt and holster. I have found that this makes or breaks someone from carrying on a regular basis.
    Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
    The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mark555
    I have seen some postings on other sites that the Taurus Millennium Pro line might have some problems with the polymer frame cracking after 500+ rounds. Did I misunderstand or get my models mixed up? Or has Taurus fixed the problem? .
    Mark555, I have heard of the Mill. series cracking frames, and had 1 that did. I have not heard of the Pro series having the same problems. I found my PT 140 packed a big recoil wallop that was uncomfortable to me after about 50 rnds. A 9mm or .45 might not be as bad.
    For what its worth I will not trust Taurus poly guns again, my PT blew apart and while Taurus did repair it for the cost of shipping, I didn't trust it.
    check out as many guns as you can , find what sits right and naturally points for you. Glocks, HK's as well as many others make fine guns. consider what you can afford and how much your life is worth.
    Welcome to the forums.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    You really need to give us some more info, like caliber, size, auto or revolver, etc. There are so many good carry guns from so many manufacturers. S&W, Sig, Glock, etc., make guns in calibers from 9mm to 45 caliber, pocket guns up to full size, every action imaginable, made from polymers and/or metals.

Personally I went with the minimum weight and a grip I could get my hand on, so I carry a Kahr P9. But I also contemplated a S&W Scandium 4.25" 1911. I like the XD's but don't own one.

Let us know what you like/dislike after fondling/shooting some.

In .45ACP I'd suggest looking at:
    XD
    Sig 245 & 220
    H&K USP/USPc
    Kahr P45
    Glock G30
    Maybe the Bersa 45 (a couple of folks here have them)

Don't overlook layaway, you can afford more gun by making payments .
    Glad to see KS residents taking advantage of the right to carry. As was already said, a real gun belt makes all the difference and to a certain extent is more important than which holster you choose. Don't go cheap here, you definitely get what you pay for.
    Jack

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Thanks All,

I have been fondling lots of different semi auto hand guns, some I liked some I could not wait to put down. I have been to every gun dealer with in 50 miles of my home. I have looked at both new and used. I have found that there are a number of manufactures out there that I have never heard of and some that I seem to remember but have no real history on. This has been quite an education for me.

Going into this I thought I had a fairly good idea of what I was looking for, (silly me). I have talked with factory reps and asked them to convince me to get their guns. The Berretta guy was good I was very impressed with the Cougar .40. The Ruger guy was an A** and completely turned me off from his product line. That and they did not fit my hand very well I’m 5’8”.S &W had a rep but not much to look at in the store. I have been looking at .40 and .45 working on the theory that bigger is better considering most civilian PD’s seem to be shifting up from the 9MM. I have looked at scads of different sites on line, both manufactures and forms.

You all have given me a lot of good advice, I think the only range that is anywhere near me that does rent guns is the Bullet Hole, I was not sure that they were still in business, than you KANSASHOOTER. I live near Topeka, so Overland Park is still a bit of a drive. Next time I go to Cabala’s I’ll make the extra 15 miles to the Bullet Hole. I don’t have any experience with the .40 and only limited with the .45. Bottom line, I will keep looking until I find one that “talks” to me The longer I look the more money I will have to spend on it.

Knowing me I will have it the rest of my life, no matter how many other guns I add to my cabinet, I still have a 5 shot .38 Rossi that I bought 36 years ago and would be real good as a fishing weight as it is not much good as a pistol. Again thank you all for the great advice.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

mark555 if you goto cabella's on a weekend, and want a tag along, let me know.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

I too, went thru the what to carry phase. I have carried revolvers as well as different auto loaders , trying to find what "fits." What finally worked for me was a Glock-29 in 10mm. Have'nt looked back since. Although looking and playing with all those different guns was a lot of fun.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Mark 555 Hey!!! did you take a number? Good post. I was same as you a few short years ago. Straight up ,it really is hand size and body mass,and what firearm you would feel safe to carry.Bells ,whistles,and other fluff your call. Take your time, enjoy yourself!!!!! It's the American way.

VIP Member
    Mark have you looked at any of the Taurus line. You hear a lot of people put down the Taurus because they say the quality is not there but I'll argue that with them. I sometimes carry a Taurus PT945 and I really like it. Its a straight shooter and it seems I can put anything in it. It is a full size but not as big as a 1911. Shot over a thousand rounds through it with no problems.
    Last edited by Ben Hennessy; June 12th, 2006 at 11:19 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links