Need advice on what to carry. - Page 3

Need advice on what to carry.

This is a discussion on Need advice on what to carry. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I second Ben's recommendation of the Taurus. Just traded my 945 for a fully tricked out SA Champion, but will eventually get the 945 back ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I second Ben's recommendation of the Taurus. Just traded my 945 for a fully tricked out SA Champion, but will eventually get the 945 back (Rhome, are you listening?) Another one that has never failed for me or my friends (Rhome, again) is the Witness, a copy of the CZ; for that matter check out the CZ!

Far as I know, the 3 inch XD is only in 9mm and .40 so far. I've got a .40 and like it very much, although I'm without much expereince with other autos to compare. My CCW instructor brought a 4" XD and his Springfield compact 1911--I qualified with his service, while my wife used our subcompact. I also shot his 1911--A bit less kick to the service, and the .45 had a bit more, although the differences are small enough that I probably wouldn't notice if I didn't shoot them back to back.

With a good IWB holster, I can easily and comfortably carry the XD without a cover garment.

Carry Gun

I didn't think it was posible for a 1911 not to fit some ones hands Well I guess I need to do a study on this
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    your original post said you were looking for a .45
    I can tell you that my Glock 30 has performed flawlessly thus far as well as my HK USP full size. The 30 shoots VERY well. Of course the glock is easier to conceal. HK does have compacts but they are going to cost more than the glock 30 or some others out there. Definitely should try em before you buy em. Keep in mind the Glock 36 isn't that much smaller than the 30 and IMO not worth messing with (the 30 can take the 13rnd mags for a glock 21 for spare mags).

....and I don't care for the feel of 1911s in my hands either...and I'm not saying anything bad about them(so don't misinterpret me please). I've only shot the single stack 1911 and something just didn't feel right with it. Everyone has different fits for weapons and I love my HK and glock.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I would look at a hk usp compact over a glock just as good if not better and it has a SAFTEY. I have a .40 and a 9mm the .45 is a little bigger. also look at the compact sigs killer guns

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    aurus Millennium Pro line might have some problems with the polymer frame cracking after 500+ rounds.
    My understanding is that if it has a light rail the frame is good , that being said i own an older millennium ( pre pro ) and have seen no issues with the frame on it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    To all of you who have so kindly offered your wisdom, insight and experience, Thank you.
    I took the plunge and recently purchased the Springfield XD in the .40 with the 3” barrel. A number of you have had nothing but good to say about the Springfield, and at least 4 of the gun salesmen pointed me in its direction. I was sorely tempted by a few of the other choices out there; I think the final straws were the feel of the weapon, price, the gear that is included in the package, extra magazine etc, and I really like the idea of the extra safety on the grip. I know the primary safety is keeping your finger off the trigger.
    I have yet to go to the range that will probably be Friday and or Saturday. I am at the reading the manual, field stripping, field stripping, field stripping, field stripping, field stripping, stage at this point. I have found two problems with the XD so far; 1. Not enough small parts when you field strip it; it only breaks down into 4 pieces I will have a hard time loosing a part after I have disassembled it. Also it comes apart and goes back together to easily, no challenge. 2. It does not weigh enough I had to open up the box before I left the store to insure that they really did put the pistol in the box.
    For those that are interested and that are not I will post my thoughts on it after I visit the range.
    Again thank you all for your help.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member
    good choice, I got an XD 9sc for the wife, and I've had the same "bad" experiences you did
    will be interesting to see if SA will make a more compact .45...cause I'll probably have to jump on that...
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by mark555
    the Taurus Millennium Pro line might have some problems with the polymer frame cracking after 500+ rounds. Did I misunderstand or get my models mixed up? Or has Taurus fixed the problem? The 24/7 is supposed to be an outstanding weapon. I like the feel of and the price of the Millennium Pro line and was less then happy to see those posting.
    That problem is fixed in the MilPRO line. It was the older "Millennium" (non-"PRO") series that were getting cracked frames.

Assistant Administrator
    Great Mark - it's good that input here did help rationalize your decision. This is in part very much what CC is about.
    I have found two problems with the XD so far; 1. Not enough small parts ................I will have a hard time loosing a part after I have disassembled it.

Also it comes apart and goes back together too easily, no challenge.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good to find out about the Mil Pro, there could be one in my future.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Good to find out about the Mil Pro, there could be one in my future.
    One nice thing about Taurus is the warranty transfers with the weapon and DOES NOT stay with the original purchaser. I wish PARA had this type of warranty. Just FYI.

P.S. I have a Taurus Mil Pro 9mm I maybe wanting to sell. I have another thread myself trying to decide between PARA or Kimber.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Need some advice: Kansas just passed a Canceled Carry Law and as has happened every year for the past few it was vetoed by the Governor. The big shock was that the veto was over ridden. That being said I am looking for a good reasonably priced .45 semi auto. Ruger is out as they just don’t fit my hand. I don’t care for the feel of the 1911’s for all you 1911 die hards out there it’s a great gun and I can hit what I aim at I just don’t care for the feel, been leaning to the Springfield XD with the 3” barrel. I can find them new at Cabala’s for $459.00 + tax. I am retired form the AF cops so had lots of training with the Berretta M-9 and before that the S&W Mod 57. Does that date me? So if you folks could be so kind as to give me some suggestions I would appreciate it. I am not anti any manufacturer I just don’t want to blow $500.00 plus on a POS. Not in a real big hurry as CCW does not take effect until Jan 07 and the next gun show is in late Jun. So I am slowly looking around and asking lots of questions.
    I would suggest for you to look at the following:
    Kahr PM45

In 9mm there are: Kahr PM9, FNP 9, Sig 239, all of which I have and like (with the right ammo they would do a good job).
    I know you said not interested in the 1911 platform but look at the Para with LDA. I like them. They have the CCW (4.25 barrell 7+1) Para also has a 3" barrel with 6+1 but I like the CCW better.
    MY GUN, MY RIGHT!!

As I promised / threatened I’ve got a range report on the Springfield XD .40 with the 3” barrel. I fired 200 rounds and it performed flawlessly. I had no miss feeds or misfires. I did find that it shoots a lot straighter then I do. I don’t see a gold medal in my immediate future.
    It seems dependable (granted only 200 rounds) and I found it comfortable to shoot and easy to handle. I did have trouble with the sights. In all honesty I need new glasses, and that will probably fix that problem. I am happy with it and would recommend it.

Thanks again for all your input.

As I promised / threatened I’ve got a range report on the Springfield XD .40 with the 3” barrel. I fired 200 rounds and it performed flawlessly. I had no miss feeds or misfires. I did find that it shoots a lot straighter then I do. I don’t see a gold medal in my immediate future.
    It seems dependable (granted only 200 rounds) and I found it comfortable to shoot and easy to handle. I did have trouble with the sights. In all honesty I need new glasses, and that will probably fix that problem. I am happy with it and would recommend it.

Thanks again for all your input.
    Are you consistently shooting all over or does it feel like it's pulling to a certain location? Damn, I can't wait to pickup my XD .40 SC.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links