Need advice on what to carry. - Page 4

Need advice on what to carry.

This is a discussion on Need advice on what to carry. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mark - I'm an analyst by trade. Recently I went thru the process of trying to pick out a backup gun. Here are the criteria ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need advice on what to carry.

Some thoughts and recommendations

Mark -

I'm an analyst by trade. Recently I went thru the process of trying to pick out a backup gun. Here are the criteria I came up with:

1. Reliability. If it doesn't go BANG! when I pull the trigger...

2. Stopping power. More is better. Although bullet design has improved tremendously over the years, big sharp bullets moving fast are generally more effective than small slow blunt bullets.

3. Proprietary to the user. That's something I first read about from Mas Ayoob. If I'm at the point of using my gun, I may well be in a H2H struggle. If I lose the gun, the BG may pick it up and try to shoot me with it. If he can't figure out the controls, I may have time to do something besides get shot.

4. Practical accuracy. How well can you hit what you're what you're shooting at with that gun? Shot placement is important, more so if I'm shooting a smaller caliber.

5. Concealability. Generally speaking, autos are flatter than revolvers and therefore easier to conceal. Single-stack magazine guns are generally easier to conceal than those with double-column magazines. For the most part, guns with shorter/smaller butts are easier to conceal. Of course, the choice of where-on-the-body and holster design are huge factors here.

From what I've seen recently in CCW classes, Glocks are totally reliable. 1911s are a mixed bag, mostly due to poor maintenance. Rugers autos have mostly been trouble. Tauruses are highly variable.

My personal carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Carry (3" 1911) in .45ACP. Once I weeded out a bad magazine, it's been totally reliable.

Lots of good advice on this forum.

Bill

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Huzar-

I found that I was consistently pulling my shots low and to the left. At 50' my rounds were about 3" low and 1"-5' to the left. At 25' I had the same problem just better grouping. All my rounds tended to be in that quarter of the target(s).A friend advised that I was tensing and anticipating the recoil. Next time I will try and relax more

The action was smooth and the trigger pull felt good. It was not so light that it would fire as soon as you put any pressure on the trigger. I did not find the distance of travel excessive ether, you did not feel like you were trying to touch your wrist with your trigger finger before it fired. I hope you enjoy your XD.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links