Need advice on what to carry.

This is a discussion on Need advice on what to carry. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some advice: Kansas just passed a Canceled Carry Law and as has happened every year for the past few it was vetoed by the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on what to carry.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!

Need some advice: Kansas just passed a Canceled Carry Law and as has happened every year for the past few it was vetoed by the Governor. The big shock was that the veto was over ridden. That being said I am looking for a good reasonably priced .45 semi auto. Ruger is out as they just don’t fit my hand. I don’t care for the feel of the 1911’s for all you 1911 die hards out there it’s a great gun and I can hit what I aim at I just don’t care for the feel, been leaning to the Springfield XD with the 3” barrel. I can find them new at Cabala’s for $459.00 + tax. I am retired form the AF cops so had lots of training with the Berretta M-9 and before that the S&W Mod 57. Does that date me? So if you folks could be so kind as to give me some suggestions I would appreciate it. I am not anti any manufacturer I just don’t want to blow $500.00 plus on a POS. Not in a real big hurry as CCW does not take effect until Jan 07 and the next gun show is in late Jun. So I am slowly looking around and asking lots of questions.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Springfield XD with the 3” barrel...

Excellent choice. I've got 8000+ rounds through mine and no problems. It is my carry gun. Get the Pierce grips and an Answer holster and your in business.

Senior Moderator
    The XD's seem like fine guns, as are many others. Do you have a range available where you can actually shoot rental guns? That could help you filter out some, and get a feeling for what you'd like. I prefer my Glocks, but the more you can try out at a range - the better!

BTW - Welcome. Born in KS and lived there 30+ years!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Thank you both, closest range that rents out is about 65 miles away, I'll probably take a drive up sooner rather then later.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member
    XD is a good gun. Lots swear by them. If it feels good to you, I'd recommend going with it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member (Retired Staff) Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Hi Mark - and if I haven't already -

You seem to have some good ideas already and that whittles things down a bit. I think some of this re size and weight will be what you reckon you can conceal, with your garment options. I like large and heavy so go full size (SIG 226) but that is easy because my cover options are so versatile.

Very likely the XD compact will be very worthy of consideration. It certainly tho is gonna be best if you can actually try out a few guns - because ultimately it will be not only what you can conceal but what fits, suits and shoots - best in your hands.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    OOPS! I forgot, get a good gunbelt too.

I also have and carry the XD 45T. I'm 5' 8" and 180 and no problems carrying either. I just grab the one nearest and head out.

MARK555... Welcome from Olathe,KS. Let me know if you want to goto "The Bullet Hole" and shoot some time, I have a membership there. The Bullet Hole has guns you can rent and try out. They have a wide range of 9mm and .45 to try. It's on 5.00 to rent a gun and you can change guns for the original 5.00. Not a bad deal.

I went there the other night and shot a 100 rounds through a Kimber Ultra CDP II 3" bbl and it was AWESOME. I had more fun shooting it than my Tauraus PT-111 9mm that I conceal around the home for now until KS gets off its duff.

I was in your position about 3 months ago. I went to The Gun Shop in Olathe, The Bullet Hole in OP, and Cabellas in KS north of Olathe every Friday for 8 weeks. I bet I handled 30 different guns until narrowing it down to 3 then finally decided on one and purchased it and now carry.

Recomendations:
    1. Put hands on a lot of guns and make sure you can work the controls.
    2. Do a lot of research on your narrowed gun list.
    3. Shoot them if you can before you buy them. (I wish I would have shot the Kimber Ultra CDP II. I may have bought it instead of the Taurus. I like the Para LDA with PXT also. I'll let you figure out what LDA and PXT is !!)
    4. Don't be in a hurry. You will have this weapon for a long time.

Hope some of this helps.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    If you Liked the M9 , you can buy a commercial model Beretta
    for about $500.

Shoot the heck out of it until you decide what you want to carry. :)
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman
    Springfield XD with the 3” barrel...

Excellent choice. I've got 8000+ rounds through mine and no problems. It is my carry gun. Get the Pierce grips and an Answer holster and your in business.
    Which XD do you have? .40 or the 9mm?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    if your allready confident with the smith line consider a 3913 or similar for ccw they are light , thin , and pack a healthy enough punch with reasonable ammo costs ( 9mm )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

go with the glock 36. it is a nice 45 acp. i love the one that i have. or you can move up to the glock 30. i love that one too. they both shoot well.

I would stay away from the Glock 36 for the time being, there have been an inordinate number of folks with problems after several hundred rounds have been through them. (Note that I am not saying they are ALL like this.. before anyone gets fired up.)

The G30 would be good to consider if you have large hands.

My hands are small but a Taurus MilPRO PT-145 fits me very well.

Huz... I'm not O.E.F...but I am fat and do have a XD40sc. My round count is somewhere close to 1000 without any failures (FTF, FTE, FTL). The day I got mine I had been shooting a friend's and we put a whole hodge-podge of reloads of all types through without any problems. It is also an accurate little piece. My friend, who shoots better than I do, put Hornady TAPs into a 3/4" whole at 15 yards! I had a Glock 22 at the time, and found the BHP-esque grip to be much more comfortable and more natural to shoot.

Michael

I have a xdsc 9mm and its an awesome little gun. Do try before you buy if you can. good luck in you choice.

Sixgun

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links