S&W 2.5" 686 or 686 plus?

This is a discussion on S&W 2.5" 686 or 686 plus? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, After lots of research and a quick hands on at GD, I'm down to these two for a CCW (cooler weather). I also have ...

Thread: S&W 2.5" 686 or 686 plus?

S&W 2.5" 686 or 686 plus?

Hi,

After lots of research and a quick hands on at GD, I'm down to these two for a CCW (cooler weather). I also have an XD45C on order and I'm replacing my G26 (ergos) with either the XD40sc or M&P40sc. Anyway, back to the 686. I'm torn between the 6 and 7 shot. I'm thinking the 6 will be ever so slightly easier to carry and conceal. Although, S&W lists the six shot as weighting .6oz more over the plus. I also think there would be more holster options for the 6 and I may be able to carry IWB with my oversized pants. I have read though that the plus has the better trigger because it doesn't not need to travel ad far to chamber the next round. It also seems that the plus is the better seller according to the dealer. Can I get your opinions?

Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

I would get the 686 plus, who knows, that seventh round could be a life saver someday.

Any custom holster maker should be able to set you up with a nice carry rig for your 7 shooter.
    God bless our troops!

I thought it over and bought the 686+ 2.5" bbl. I'm not sorry I did. The 7th round is a little more reassurance at no inconvenience that I have noted.

<-------

VIP Member
    If I recall correctly, the weight difference is less than one ounce 34.1oz (7-shot) vs. 34.7oz (6-shot). This is due to the metal being removed to accommodate the seventh charge hole, whereby all of the holes are spaced differently. The loaded weight is about the same since the seventh round will add roughly ½ +/-.1 ounce back to the gun. Example: Speer Gold Dot .38+P 135gr = ½ ounce

Anyway, I prefer the six-shot 2.5-inch. The seven-shot just seems odd to me. Also, a seven-round speed loader or moonclip may be more cumbersome and will be slightly heavier. Of course, nobody can argue the benefit of the seventh round in terms of fire power.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I tend to stick with traditional five and six shot revolvers, but do admit a fondness for the seven and eight shooters too.

They each have their pros and cons. The big con for me is in shooting an IDPA type match. There you will be limited to six rounds, IIRC. Since IDPA and other competition is a good form of training under stress if done properly, and one should train under stress if possible, I'd have to go with the six shooter.

Also, being that I started on revolvers years ago I can't keep track of my shots past six.

Biker

I'd stick with the 6 shot 686......just MHO of course
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Holster for 686+

I recently purchased a Bianchi Black widow #5 (27.00 from Amazon.com) for my GP100. I was surprised to read on the plastic package that it came in, that it also fits S&W L frames. So, I pulled out the old 6" 686+ and tried it...fits perfectly! Contact holster manufacturers or try them in store, most full sized revolver holsters (and for sure anything that fits a GP100) will fit both the 686 and 686+. I do not have a 686 to compare, but I think that the cylinder diameters are awfully close.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

ajgranda

They are both exactly the same gun except for the holes in the cylinder.

The 7 round weighs less empty. But the extra round brings the weight back up even when loaded.

Most folks feel that the 7 round has a little better trigger feel because the cylinder has to turn less to align the next hole.

The 7 round is, believe it or not, a stronger gun than the 6. One would think that it would be the other way around, but it is not.

There are reloaders for both.

One extra round at the same weight and size and at the same cost is, to my way of thinking, a no-brainer.

Since you prefaced the post with the fact that you are considering a 2.5" gun - I take it that it is for self defense and carry and not for competition as such. The 6 shot restrictions in certain organized competions will not be a factor for you and, or course, the bad guys don't get to make the rules for our side.

7 shot all the way IMO.
    Last edited by Marvin Knox; May 24th, 2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: additional thought

The guns are exactly the same size, including the cylinders.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I've got the 7-shot myself with the 4" barrel, and I love it. As others have indicated, the cylinder is a little wider and also the cartridge on the left can drop out just a bit; has no affect on functionality but you'll definitely notice the sound of the rim hitting. I am more comfortable having the 7th round, as some others have indicated.

Hey, thanks guys. Yep, I learned that the cylinders are the exact same size from SW CS as some have said. That means the HKS speed-loaders must be the same size also (less material in between holes though), just heavier when loaded with that 7 round. I think I will stick with the PLUS even though I also was trained back in the late 80s-early 90s with a 6 shot revolver, but that was long ago as a LEO. I haven't shot a revolver since, so I can start fresh now.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Same holster...7-shot 'stages' better......IMO........both good choices, speed loader same price for both.....7 is a lucky number.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Links