sobering range report.

sobering range report.

This is a discussion on sobering range report. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to shoot this weekend. I was on cloud 9 because I had some new toys. I had added XS big dot and CT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sobering range report.

sobering range report.

I went to shoot this weekend. I was on cloud 9 because I had some new toys. I had added XS big dot and CT grips onto my Glock 26. I was humbled. I was consistantly low. This was the same if I had mag extension or not. I tried compensating and focusing and breathing triggger focus etc and just couldnt get it. I was also humbled by my M38 J frame. Today I am carrying my 3913 TSW. Its the gun I purchased as my first new gun 10+ years ago. I also found that my M13-1 K frame is a laser. I will carry it when a 4" K frame will work. I think my wife has obtained a new Glock 26. I think I will sell the CT grips and buy me a nice holster for the K frame and carry the 3913 daily. I will not give up on any of them. I figure next time I go to the range it may all change.

Administrator
    Yup, dump the laser. It is doing nothing for your technique. Work on dry fire drills, and concentrate on your trigger squeeze. (note I said trigger squeeze and not trigger pull)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I thought the big dot sights where to acquire the target quick not necessarily for precision? Maybe I'm wrong.

I do find that I shoot my K and N frame better at long distances then any of my autos. Is your K a square or round butt?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Usually when it is the shooter and not the gun that is shooting low, it is the shooter anticipating recoil. You are subconsciously pushing the gun down slightly to compensate for the muzzle rise and rearward push of recoil. Try some dry firing and concentrate on squeezing the trigger letting it be a surprise to you when the trigger releases the hammer/striker to fire. I hopes this helps you and good luck.
    God bless our troops!

Ok squeeze is what I should work on. I have called myself trying dry technique. As for taget aquisition I was shooting the little green men in the corners of a used target. I figure they were about 4" and I was shooting low left by at least 6" @ 7yds. I went from there to the steel plates that are about 8-10" @ 10-15 yds and realized it was time to put up my 26 for the day. As for the CT grip I did forget my allen wrench needed to adjust it. My K frame is a wound butt now. Its started as a square but round just felt better.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Ok squeeze is what I should work on. I have called myself trying dry technique. As for taget aquisition I was shooting the little green men in the corners of a used target. I figure they were about 4" and I was shooting low left by at least 6" @ 7yds. I went from there to the steel plates that are about 8-10" @ 10-15 yds and realized it was time to put up my 26 for the day. As for the CT grip I did forget my allen wrench needed to adjust it. My K frame is a wound butt now. Its started as a square but round just felt better.
    I say keep the laser...if for nothing else, it is great for dry fire practice. Then once it is adjusted, it is great for accuracy too! I have an old M36 that I couldn't shoot very well consistently. I added the CT grips and now I can put all five (or 10) into 4" at 20' at about 1 shot/second. Maybe that is not great, but it beats the heck out of what I could do before!

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

VIP Member
    Hard to say without being next to you as you shoot. If this is happening at 7 yards and beyond, and on both guns, it sounds like your technique. Best to have someone else fire the gun, with the same ammo at the same distance to rule out the variables, and take it from there.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Hard to say without being next to you as you shoot. If this is happening at 7 yards and beyond, and on both guns, it sounds like your technique. Best to have someone else fire the gun, with the same ammo at the same distance to rule out the variables, and take it from there.

I would also keep the laser, as it's a good tool to have in the Tool Box.

Biker

I am considering trading the CT grips for a set for my M38. Oh it is no doubt not the gun. I know and admit its me. The last time I shot a friend took the gun away from me and shot the plates between his legs. Yeah this wasnt my first sobering trip to this particular range. He worked with me on technique etc and I got a little better. If he had not worked the night shift the night before I would have taken him Sat. I honestly think I need to remove the grips and work on the software of shooting rather than the hardware. I know the gun is capable. I think its just the loose nut pulling the trigger.

VIP Member
    Between his legs? I have no doubt your friend did that, but there are better ways to impress people on the range.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    *SNIP
    The last time I shot a friend...
    ???
    Sorry to go a bit OT but when I read your post quickly, I had to re-read it... then this part made me chuckle!
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

Yes its a small private range and I was whining that I couldnt hit what I was shooting at. At that time he asked to see the pistol and shot them and looked at me and said yep you are right its the gun. I will say he also took the time to correct my stance, hold, trigger technique as well. I think he wanted to get my attention and show me what the 26 is capable of.

No Corlissimo I may have wanted to shoot him but I didnt. I guess the use of a comma would have been appropriate.

VIP Member
    I figured it was just to prove a point on a closed range. Still, the scenario sounds like ‘Jack Bauer’ meets ‘Randolph Scott’.
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links