Advantage Tactical Sights - Anyone using? Your thoughts, please.

This is a discussion on Advantage Tactical Sights - Anyone using? Your thoughts, please. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've searched the forums for information on these Advantage Tactical Sights , but so far have turned up nothing. I've recently decided that the Trijicon's ...

Thread: Advantage Tactical Sights - Anyone using? Your thoughts, please.

I've searched the forums for information on these Advantage Tactical Sights, but so far have turned up nothing.

I've recently decided that the Trijicon's on my XD40 Service are just too difficult for me to use in a high pressure/SD scenario and I'll be replacing them very soon.

I've narrowed my choices down to either the XS 24/7 Big Dot, or the Advantage Tactical sights.

Confidence is high for the XS BD's, and there is plenty of information on them out there. But the ATS sights are less well known.

There is a good cost savings ($79 for ATS vs. $120 for XS BD) and they would seem to offer an excellent sight picture and quick target acquisition.

However, my concerns are about the relatively tall front sight and the potential for it catching on either my SERPA or CBST during presentation.

Is anyone out there using these, or know of someone who has? Any information you can share is greatly appreciated.

TIA
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

I've never used them. Waiting for their night sights to come out (been waiting a long time).

Check out this article by Massad Ayoob...
    http://www.advantagetactical.com/doc...ine_review.pdf

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

I have a set, but ended up not really liking them. I found that it took just a much time to "set up" the triangle as align any other system. The front sight is easier to pick up than a traditional system, but no easier than the XS (which I also have). I got them hoping for increased accuracy at distance compared with the XS, which I do believe they provide, but in the end decided that for a defensive firearm, the XS were superior due to the simplicity and not unimportantly, the tritium.

I would add that for general all purpose sights, I really like a wide notch rear with a bright front. Currently using Ameriglo Pro Operators that I'm very happy with, but I used the Warren tactical rears with a fiber optic front as a game gun set up, which work well also.

YMMV
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

VIP Member
    Sorry, I don't see much of an ADVANTAGE by switching from my Novaks.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Im a big fan of the XS sights for the reasons that wormtown gave. I have them on on my G19 and the front sight was the same size as the OEM sight, it just looks bigger.
    I paid $89 for mine at Natchez. I dont know enough about the XD's to know if this is the one you need. http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...xpress Big Dot

I carry in a CBST.
    Last edited by ks kid; May 24th, 2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: holster

I forgot to say that despite the high front sight on the ATS it doesn't snag.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter

Thank you all for the information.

@ wormtown -
    Just what I was looking for... someone who's used both! Nice to see the confirmation on the XS BD's. Also nice to know that the ATS don't snag with the CBST.

One of my reasons for looking at the ATS was also that my eyes aren't the greatest in low light and they looked large and easy to acquire. My Trijicon's are my first tritium sights and just aren't that easy for me to see in the dark, so I'm not totally convinced that any tritium sight will be especially effective for me, although my sights might be dimmer than someone else's. (incidentally, I always EDC a Surefire G2)

Those ATS sights just look like they would jump out at you very easily even if setup is on par with the XS BD.

So, let's throw out the sight picture setup issue since, as you stated, it's probably a wash with most any sight system and answer this question:

Did you find that the ATS system was the same, better, or worse than the XS BD when it came to seeing them and the target?

@ ks kid -
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and for the link. Those were the right sights for the XD and a great price too! If I end up going with the XS BD's I'll definitely be ordering from Natchez.com.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Cheers!
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

I didn't think the ATS were that good in low light, particularly in comparison to the tritiums I have. Maybe yours are dim? My XS really stand out, as do the Ameriglo pro operators. In fact, I wish I could have the sight picture from the Ameriglos at night with the yellow rears and green front 24/7. In a "twilight" setting the ATS weren't bad, but true low light they were clearly inferior to tritium.

Quote Originally Posted by wormtown View Post
    I didn't think the ATS were that good in low light, particularly in comparison to the tritiums I have. Maybe yours are dim? My XS really stand out, as do the Ameriglo pro operators. In fact, I wish I could have the sight picture from the Ameriglos at night with the yellow rears and green front 24/7. In a "twilight" setting the ATS weren't bad, but true low light they were clearly inferior to tritium.
    Thanks again! Looks like I'll order the XS BD's from Natchez.com.

I appreciate the feedback.

Links