Defensive Carry banner

Advantage Tactical Sights - Anyone using? Your thoughts, please.

15K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Corlissimo 
#1 ·
I've searched the forums for information on these Advantage Tactical Sights, but so far have turned up nothing.

I've recently decided that the Trijicon's on my XD40 Service are just too difficult for me to use in a high pressure/SD scenario and I'll be replacing them very soon.

I've narrowed my choices down to either the XS 24/7 Big Dot, or the Advantage Tactical sights.

Confidence is high for the XS BD's, and there is plenty of information on them out there. But the ATS sights are less well known.

There is a good cost savings ($79 for ATS vs. $120 for XS BD) and they would seem to offer an excellent sight picture and quick target acquisition.

However, my concerns are about the relatively tall front sight and the potential for it catching on either my SERPA or CBST during presentation.

Is anyone out there using these, or know of someone who has? Any information you can share is greatly appreciated.

TIA :smile:

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a set, but ended up not really liking them. I found that it took just a much time to "set up" the triangle as align any other system. The front sight is easier to pick up than a traditional system, but no easier than the XS (which I also have). I got them hoping for increased accuracy at distance compared with the XS, which I do believe they provide, but in the end decided that for a defensive firearm, the XS were superior due to the simplicity and not unimportantly, the tritium.

I would add that for general all purpose sights, I really like a wide notch rear with a bright front. Currently using Ameriglo Pro Operators that I'm very happy with, but I used the Warren tactical rears with a fiber optic front as a game gun set up, which work well also.

YMMV

#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Thank you all for the information. :smile:

@ wormtown -
Just what I was looking for... someone who's used both! Nice to see the confirmation on the XS BD's. Also nice to know that the ATS don't snag with the CBST.

One of my reasons for looking at the ATS was also that my eyes aren't the greatest in low light and they looked large and easy to acquire. My Trijicon's are my first tritium sights and just aren't that easy for me to see in the dark, so I'm not totally convinced that any tritium sight will be especially effective for me, although my sights might be dimmer than someone else's. (incidentally, I always EDC a Surefire G2)

Those ATS sights just look like they would jump out at you very easily even if setup is on par with the XS BD.

So, let's throw out the sight picture setup issue since, as you stated, it's probably a wash with most any sight system and answer this question:

Did you find that the ATS system was the same, better, or worse than the XS BD when it came to seeing them and the target?

@ ks kid -
Thanks for sharing your experiences and for the link. Those were the right sights for the XD and a great price too! If I end up going with the XS BD's I'll definitely be ordering from Natchez.com. :hand10:

Thanks again to all who responded.

Cheers!

#8 ·
I didn't think the ATS were that good in low light, particularly in comparison to the tritiums I have. Maybe yours are dim? My XS really stand out, as do the Ameriglo pro operators. In fact, I wish I could have the sight picture from the Ameriglos at night with the yellow rears and green front 24/7. In a "twilight" setting the ATS weren't bad, but true low light they were clearly inferior to tritium.

#9 ·
Thanks again! Looks like I'll order the XS BD's from Natchez.com.

I appreciate the feedback. :hand10:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.