Taurus Pt22 and Beretta Bobcat

This is a discussion on Taurus Pt22 and Beretta Bobcat within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have narrowed my choice for my next firearm down to these two. My current every day carry is a Taurus pt 709 slim which ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Pt22 and Beretta Bobcat

I have narrowed my choice for my next firearm down to these two. My current every day carry is a Taurus pt 709 slim which I love and has shot a flawless 500 rounds so far.

Reasons I decided on a .22
    1. Its a gun I can get into dress slacks and still be carrying concealed in my pocket.
    2. It guarantees I will always have it on me, rather than part time like the Taurus.
    3. Cheap ammunition. I also have two .22 rifles so stockpiling a couple thousand rounds is not as hard on the pocket but still good for plinking.

I am going to be using CCI Stingers as my concealed carry round given feedback from various places.

Before I pull proverbial trigger, does anyone have some feedback on these two pistols.

VIP Member
    I have no experience with either weapon. I do, however, have experience with the .22 caliber. I agree that it is great for plinking, but are you really sure that you want to take it into combat if the SHTF? Can it really be that much smaller than a .380? While I would not personally want the .380, it would be a good bit more powerful than the .22. Just my $0.02.

Having a gun I always carry is better than no gun. Given my budget, incoming marriage, business expenses etc and belief in living without debt a .22 is what I can afford.

I also figure if 7 rounds of CCI stinger doesnt deter my attacker on the street I either A. Am in the wrong part of town or B. Ticked off the wrong group of people.

At home I have the 9mm with two clips loaded and ready to go.

I used to have a taurus pt22, this gun is dosent like cheap ammo, is ok but I will go better with Beretta, cost $350 for that money get a ruger lcp , very accurate and smaller

VIP Member
    I'll second the opinion that there are better choices out there that really aren't much bigger, but pack much more wallop. The .22 is, of course, better than nothing, and Stingers are very decent as far as .22s go, but.....

Rimfire ammo is inherently less reliable than centerfire ammo. How much less reliable is a matter of debate, but the design of the primers simply makes them more prone to failure.

The stats for the Taurus are:

Length: 5.25 in
    Width: 1.3 in
    Height: 4.3 in
    Magazine Capacity: 8 rounds
    Barrel Length: 2.75 in
    Weight with empty magazine: 12.5 oz

A Kel-Tec P32 compares thusly:

Weight unloaded: 6.6 oz. 186g
    Loaded magazine: 2.8 oz. 81mm
    Length: 5.1" 129mm
    Height: 3.5" 89mm
    Width: .75" 19mm
    Barrel Length: 2.7" 68mm
    Capacity: 7 + 1 rounds

Smaller in every dimension and about half the weight, but packing a more powerful (though still on the VERY low end) caliber, with an MSRP of around $235. Step up just a little bit more and you're into the range of the sub-sub compact .380s, which, while still "underpowered," are light years ahead of the .22.

Ammo cost is significant, yes, but with any of these tiny guns I doubt you are going to want to sit through 500 round range sessions...

If you MUST get a .22, I don't think it really matters which of those two you choose.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

GM
    I do not understand if the main reason for choosing a .22 is the size or your budget. If it is your budget the then go for the Beretta. If it is the size then I think that the reasons you present for carrying a .22 as primary weapon do not hold:

1. You can get a .380 that is smaller and lighter than the Beretta.
    2. If you can have a Beretta Bobcat on you all the time then you can for example have a Kel.tect P-3AT or Ruger LCP on you all the time too.
    3 Although good for plinking because of the ammo’s price, a .22 pistol is not an appropriate SD caliber.

I agree that a .22 is better than nothing, but why choosing a .22 when you can get a .380 that that is even smaller? I do not consider that .380 is a good SD caliber, but better than .22 is it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

They are both ammo sensitive, good luck getting off 7 shots without a jam. I wouldn't trust my life to a rimfire .22 for under $300 you can get a .380 at least.

My understanding from reading several forums and watching many videos and talking at the range with an owner of each gun ( and trying them out) is they rarely have ftfs or ftes and in the case of the beretta owner never after the break in period of about 400 rounds. He now has close to 2000 through it.

I understand the .380 issue. One thing I like about both the guns I mentioned is Manual Safety on top of DA trigger. Having the ability to plink away as well would be nice as even the 9mm can get expensive.

I have been looking at the S and W bodyguard .380 but the rounds and firearms are expensive and it should be out in June.

I am leaning towards the Beretta, maybe some owners of that particular firearm have some feedback.

Fired from a rifle, a .22 can do some damage for a good distance.
    But fired from a pistol barrel that is 3 inches at best , you will lose a great deal of velocity and half the powder is going to burn outside the barrel in a flash,
    doing nothing for the bullets. As there is little powder in there to begin with you are left with a woefully weak weapon, .22 and .25 pistols have been fired at peoples heads and bounced off.
    I have a couple of friends who survived multiple hits from both .22 and .25
    pocket pistols .
    There is a reason they are called ".22 rifle and long rifle" rounds.
    "This is who we are."

I pocket carry a 709 in dress pants and shorts pockets all of the time. It's not significantly larger than the popular .380s. I see people posting all of the time that the 709 is too big to pocket carry and I just don't understand. Either I've not kept up with fashion and the 70s skin tight breaches is back in style or I coincidentally buy all of my pants at the big pocket store. Granted I buy my pants a little looser fitting (which also helps accommodate my IWB holsters). I also carry a S&W 442 in my pockets and it's just marginally easier to pocket carry. I'm thinking about changing my screen name to BigPocketDude.

PS. No way I'd go from a 9mm to a 22 for CCW. I'd find a way to carry the 9mm...which is one of the smallest out there. The 9mm and .38+P are as low as I will personally go for SD.
    Last edited by BugDude; May 24th, 2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added PS
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Skin tight Breeches. That is a bad image.

The reality is for a younger guy I have to dress in a manner that people respect. That means no baggie pants, no baggie shirts.

That means well fitting pants, tightly tucked in shirts, and a hard time concealing. I have been thinking about a concealed carry briefcase but I dont really like the idea of the weapon being out of my immediate control.

Edit:
    i am trying to find this video on youtube I watched last night of the CCI stinger .22 blowing out gel, water, watermelons from a beretta. The phone cant seem to locate it though. Even though a .22 isnt as great as a .45 in many occasions its been used very succesfully and should serve as a deterrent to I would think 99% of attackers where any gun is sufficient.

Have you tried an ankle holster?
    I usually carry my bug in one , either a P9 or a PPK/S with no trouble.
    In some ways I do miss those flair bottom pants, you could carry a 1911 down there with those.
    "This is who we are."

i bought my wife a pt22 years ago. If I recall, it doesnt have a extractor on it. It is a jamster. Failure to extract. A friend of mine got shot 6 times from a revolver 22lr. He drove himself to the hospital. I was 18 at the time. Huge party. We didnt even know what went down outside until the police showed up. That was one crazy party. I cant believe its been 16 years ago.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by rich cheese View Post
    Fired from a rifle, a .22 can do some damage for a good distance.
    But fired from a pistol barrel that is 3 inches at best , you will lose a great deal of velocity and half the powder is going to burn outside the barrel in a flash,
    doing nothing for the bullets. As there is little powder in there to begin with you are left with a woefully weak weapon, .22 and .25 pistols have been fired at peoples heads and bounced off.
    I have a couple of friends who survived multiple hits from both .22 and .25
    pocket pistols .
    There is a reason they are called ".22 rifle and long rifle" rounds.
    Just curious to know if you have any video or reports on a .22 or .25 bouncing off someone's head?
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I had a Beretta 21A .22 and it couldn't fire a single full magazine without a FTE.
    I would "not" trust my life to either the Beretta or the Taurus look a like PT22.
    If you want small pocket gun, go for a small .380 or 9mm. You will be better off.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links