Springfield EMP... posts are still confusing...?

This is a discussion on Springfield EMP... posts are still confusing...? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wanting a Springfield EMP for some time, and have been researching it in detail recently. I am torn because everyone says that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield EMP... posts are still confusing...?

Springfield EMP... posts are still confusing...?

I have been wanting a Springfield EMP for some time, and have been researching it in detail recently. I am torn because everyone says that it is a "fine pistol, shoots like a dream, carries perfectly"........but in those same posts I read state that they have had to send it back to Springfield due to failures? I feel that 95% of all the write ups I have read, the posters had to send their EMP back to the factory between rounds 200-300? For reasons all dealing with FTE, FTF, Stove pipes etc. I am confused because how can such perfect gun always seem like it needs a return to the factory for improvements, and upgrades? I really would like to own this pistol, but cant get the wishy washy posts out of my mind. Can anyone clear this up for me? Or pass along any additional info. The price on the EMP is VERY high to have to be worried about reliability.....
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

I've only shot, but never owned an EMP, so I can't offer the advice you're looking for, however...

When I was trying to decide on a compact 1911, I looked at the EMP as well, and decided that it would have to be a .40 caliber. The deciding factor for me was, the .40 cal version is considerably heavier than the 9mm, so much in fact, that it also outweighs comparable .45 cal 1911s(Colt Defender, Kimber Ultra, Springfield Micro Compact).

If you're going to limit your capacity with a single stack... go big or go home. I chose an Ultra
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The EMP is a fine pistol, but I chose its "big brother"--the .45 acp. Same size and weight and makes bigger holes !

I debated for a while to get one or not. Read good things about the gun, but most stated that it required a break in period.

I am not the kind of guy that likes paying top dollar for a gun and having to break it in. My duty guns (Sigs) never needed any break in periods and my current EDC gun (Glock 19) never needed a break in period.

A good friend who has one in the Seattle area let me shoot his over Christmas vacation. I really, really, liked the gun. He also told me that he had some malfuncitons during the first 300 rounds or so. I value his opinion since I know his training/firearms background.

I finally got one about 4 weeks ago, I shot it a couple of weeks ago ,100 rds, no malfunctions and very easy to control for all my drills. Also very acurate - head shots on failure to stop drills at 7 yds - one hole! I am going to the range tonight for another 100 rds.

I am going to play with it for the next three months, then decide if I am going to keep it or not.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

The EMP is great. I personally have the Kimber Ultra Aeigis II - it is kimbers version of the EMP (or rather, emp is springfields version of the aegis, since the aegis came out first).
    Some people in general have complaints about subcompact 1911, and some people have complaints about 9mm 1911s, as the 1911 platform was not made for either of these. No fear! Both the aegis and the emp were specifically designed to be a 3" 9mm 1911 and nothing else. They both work great and are well worth the money. A 1911, so thin (easy to conceal) and an awesome trigger and great accuracy for the barrel length.
    Obviously since it is what I carry, it is what I recommend.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I have an EMP in 9mm and love it. I have sent over 300 rounds down range and have not had one FTE, FTF, Stovepipe, not a single problem. When I got it I field stripped it cleaned and lubed it, racked the slide a few dozen times and hit the range, put 200 rounds through it without a flaw. Have since put a little over 100 more down range and still no problems. And that little handgun is a tack driver!
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I have an emp9mm...and love it. Wouldn't part with it...ever.
    Great trigger, dead-on accurate, a joy to shoot... and 100% reliable (now).
    It had a lot of FTF issues at first. So I called Springfield, they told me to send it in.
    And they took care of the problem. Got it back in a week. Not even a squeak since...shoots everything...and I'd literally trust my life to it.
    Great customer service makes all the difference and takes all the risk out of new gun purchases.
    But if you're looking for 100% out-of-the-box reliability... yes, you're better off with a glock, xd, etc. Sad to say, but true.
    Would I recommmend an emp? Absolutely.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Thank you for posting your reviews. I have another question, what is the recoil like in the EMP 9mm? I have several polymer framed 9's and I LOVE shooting them. But I used to have a Bersa 380, which I hated to shoot, I think it's because it was an all metal frame gun. I think that the polymer frame guns feel better when fired because the weight is at the top of the gun, and the metal frame pistols seem to "sting" when they recoil because of the metal frame coming straight back. Any one else feel this way? But it's probably better when it comes to getting back on target to have a gun that recoils straight back, rather than snapping upward?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I've put an easy 6-700 rounds through my EMP with absolutely ZERO problems, ever.
    I don't have any problems with second shot follow up's with the gun. The frame is aluminum with a steel slide, so most of the weight is still up top with it. It's a pleasure to shoot.

I have the 40 cal EMP and love it. Can't say that enough.

It is heavier than the 9mm because it has a steel frame instead of the aluminum. So you have to decide if the additional weight of the frame is worth the added weight.

I like the 40 cal. I also have several lighter 9mm sub compacts that I can carry when the weight is an issue. If I was limited to one gun, I believe I'd have a hard time deciding between my G26 and my EMP40. Some of that may be just our love affair with 1911 pistols. They are still great even in this age of polymer.

I'd throw in the High Power if it was made shorter. This may be telling, because the EMP9 could compete with the HP, in my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've had the 9mm EMP for a couple of months now. I bought it after seeing it for the first time. Love at first sight. I have not actually fired it yet as health issues have kept me away from the range but I am looking forward to the first time. I think it's the prettiest 1911 style gun I have seen in a long time. Definitely worth the price on looks alone.

Sure... I will clear it up..... once your gun gets back from you sending it into Springfield... it will work perfectly fine after their custom shop is done with it.

There are some that are "unlucky" and it shoots fine right from the start. I say unlucky because if you see what their custom shop does and how smooth it will be afterwards, you'll want to send it in.

Any questions ?

Contribution.

I just got back less than an hour ago from the local shooting range (Shooting Sports unlimited, Moline IL). I was teaching a buddy of mine how to shoot and I was teaching him with a Springfield EMP 9mm. I probably should have taught him on the Sig 9mm full size they had, but I had already previously shot the EMP and really enjoyed using it.

I've twice put more than 100 rounds each (200 total) of 9mm through a Springfield EMP and I can say it had I had a fistful of hiccups in that time period. Failures to feed, no failures to extract or failures to fire. 2-3 occasions of the slide not locking back after firing the last round.

Today i was using junker Wolf 115 grain steel cased 9mm, so i wasn't exactly using high performance ammunition. (keep that in mind.)

Center to center, I have a under 3 inch group of an entire 9 round magazine fired standing unsupported from 30 feet. 1 3 round string of which sits in a just 1.25" grouping.

I have another more defensive situation target: one flier an inch to the left. the rest of the 9 round mag: 1 ragged hole at 15 feet. Standing unsupported.

Also a defensive situation target: 2 inch group of 9 rounds on a silhouette at 15 feet. Firing standing one handed.

Both times, months apart, which i went and rented and shot that particular gun however. (Springfield 9mm EMP) I discovered, that although it's small and pretty damned accurate for it's size (and with junk ammo btw), it has a fatal flaw for a defense gun.

I tried it several times: you cannot fully extract and eject an unfired round. The distance you can wrack the slide isn't long enough to fully eject an unfired cartridge: I tried numerous times. All you'll end up doing is double feeding and that creates it's own mess to clear.

I like the gun personally, lot of fun to shoot, recoil's pretty timid for how small it is, 9mm or not, very accurate. I really like the gun: but I couldn't possibly in good conscience recommend it as a defensive carry pistol. If you come across a round that doesn't fire: your recourse is to manually pull the hammer back (single action only) and if that round still doesn't fire: you're not going to get it out.

You then have to pull a secondary weapon.

I'm not sure if there's some trick to doing it, but I tried wracking the slide five or six times to get a round out and chamber another one, I would pull it back all the way and the nose of the bullet would still be sticking inside the barrel.

I came across this, and i recall vividly as it was only two hours ago that i was there, and my buddy eased the slide forward rather than letting go, and the round would feed. So then I had him set it down so i could clear the FTF, and it was impossible to get the round to eject. All I could do was get the round to seat properly, and I tried wracking a couple times after I got it seated correctly, because I thought i was mistaken the round has to be -able- to be ejected even if it's still live. How else would you get rid of a dud?

Nope, not coming out. The firing session moved on just fine, 100 rounds of wold 115 grain 9mm. As I was able to get the round seated i simply let the hammer down easy and put the gun down so he could then move in, pick it up, aim down range and pull the hammer manually when he was ready.

Maybe that particular gun had a serious flaw, maybe there's something about the design i don't understand: but i don't recall ever being told that a 1911 design -couldn't- manually eject a life round. As it sits, I like firing the gun on the range, but i wouldn't carry it on me for defensive purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by BadJudgment View Post
    Maybe that particular gun had a serious flaw, maybe there's something about the design i don't understand: but i don't recall ever being told that a 1911 design -couldn't- manually eject a life round. As it sits, I like firing the gun on the range, but i wouldn't carry it on me for defensive purposes.
    That emp is seriously defective (if I understand the problem correctly).
    Even early on when I was having FTF problems with my emp, I never had the problem you're describing. I often practice with snap caps.
    Never an issue running those through.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by BadJudgment View Post
    I tried it several times: you cannot fully extract and eject an unfired round. The distance you can wrack the slide isn't long enough to fully eject an unfired cartridge: I tried numerous times. All you'll end up doing is double feeding and that creates it's own mess to clear.
    As I said above, talk to Springfield and send it in, they'll pay the shipping there and back. Your extractor is not working properly.
    I can do that even when my messed up.

Since I got it back from Springfield.... it will shoot any ammo, junk or not, and do it flawlessly. It will extract a live round and insert a new one with no issues at all. You pay that much for a gun and have an issue, and don't let them fix it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links