Choices choices choices... to many

This is a discussion on Choices choices choices... to many within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dr_cmg I am 5'8" and used to be skinny. After 40 I became healthy. Anyway I carry a Sig Sauer P239 in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choices choices choices... to many

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    I am 5'8" and used to be skinny. After 40 I became healthy. Anyway I carry a Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm. It is not the lightest gun out there, but it is compact and only 1.2" thick. It is a single stack. It is accurate (more accurate than I am) and absolutely reliable. It is not cheap, but it is worth what you pay for it. There are factory certified previously owned pistols available. It is also available in 357Sig and .40. Great gun. It is by far the best pistol I have ever shot. Take a look and see what you think.
    I'll have to give the Sig a second look. I glanced at it and it somehow didn't impress me (well impress is maybe not the best word), but I'll look at it again cause knowing good friend murphy if I don't I'll regret it in the future.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Here is a easy way to check if it's approved....

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    I am not shure what is on the CA " approved list " so its hard to formulate an answer .

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/ ---guns certified for sale in Ca.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/removed.pdf --guns NO LONGER certified (interesting list)
    Last edited by goawayfarm; June 11th, 2006 at 06:57 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thanks guys for all your advice. I went to two stores today to checkout all my choices and I ended up walking back home (ok, since this is CA I will get to walk back home with it in 10 days) with a SC 40.

While the P9 looks like a great gun, the grip felt too narrow for me which disqualified it. They didn't have any of the smaller CZ's in stock so that took care of that one ;) and the Sig still didn't impress me.

The real deal breaker for me was the fact that if I stick with the XD I can buy the accessories for "one" gun and move them between the two.

Thanks again guys for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    THere are two reasons why I can't do the same caliber:
    1. They don't make SC in GAP
    2. Shooting GAP sometimes feels like shooting at silver dollars ;)
    Sorry - my knowledge of XD's came thru loud and clear, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    Thanks guys for all your advice. I went to two stores today to checkout all my choices and I ended up walking back home (ok, since this is CA I will get to walk back home with it in 10 days) with a SC 40.
    Great! Have fun, and post your first range report.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Sorry - my knowledge of XD's came thru loud and clear, huh?
    No worries: they actually supposedly had an SC 45 GAP in the works but somehow choce not to pursue it. It's rather dissapointing cause even though it's expensive to shoot the 45 GAP SC would make a sweet carry gun for it's size and stopping power.

Great! Have fun, and post your first range report.
    Will do. I can't wait to pick it up. Sadly my 10 days are up on the day when I'll be packing for a 4 day trip into the mountains, which means I won't get to pick it up till the day after I come back But I do know where I will be heading straight form the store

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    When I first started on the Job as a Deputy Sheriff I was 5'09" and 130#s. Ok a few years ago. My recomendations for you, would be a good Kahr P9 (Not the CW9 as you cannot change the sights on it) with two extra 8 round mags. For concealed carry I would recomend a good quality ITP holster (I have used Milt Sparks and have heard nothing but praise for Gary Brommland) and if you do not like the untucked look required for ITP on OTB I'd highly recommend a UC Comfort t-shirt holster. If you've been here a while you'll know by now that I am a big proponant of it and started using this rig because my Sheriff required that we carry a S&W 45 (the full size one) ALL the time on and off duty. The t-shirt holster was the only way a skinny butt like me could easily conceal and to this date I have not been busted (and thats 14 years later). Just my opinion and if you do a search you can find a posting I did earlier with pictures of the UC Comfort.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Steve - being as ever ''Mr Helpful'' - here is the specific post with your pics - most useful folks to see what the UC comfort is all about.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...7&postcount=29
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

While that shirt holster looks nice, I don't think I'd survive in it in SoCal. I know I am skinny so heat shouldn't bother me, but I ussually wear just a tshirt year round (with a flight jacket over it on the outside when it rains). Anyways, I know I will have to adjust my clothing style should I get the CCW paperwork through but then I'll hit the local gunshow and try all sorts of different hoslters firsthand.

Adjust your dress style? I wear that rig with t-shirts but if your able to wear just a t-shirt get a good ITP holster and carry a skinny gun, such as the Kahr P9. Under a loose t-shirt behind the nip in the natural pocket you'll be quite happy. The mag pouch can either be ITP or OTB but should ride tight. You might have to wear your pants a little looser (most skinny people I know wear their pants tight) and it will all cover well with a slightly larger shirt and if you dont like how far they hang down, have a good sewer hem the bottoms for you and wear a heavy hi quality t-shirt. Hope that helps.
    Steve

Ohhh Chris thanks for the post from the past. Seems you've done that a time or two.
    Steve

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Try to get to shoot as many as possible before buying. It kinda like Fords and Chevys, some like one and others like another.

Jungle Work

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    Adjust your dress style? I wear that rig with t-shirts but if your able to wear just a t-shirt get a good ITP holster and carry a skinny gun, such as the Kahr P9. Under a loose t-shirt behind the nip in the natural pocket you'll be quite happy. The mag pouch can either be ITP or OTB but should ride tight. You might have to wear your pants a little looser (most skinny people I know wear their pants tight) and it will all cover well with a slightly larger shirt and if you dont like how far they hang down, have a good sewer hem the bottoms for you and wear a heavy hi quality t-shirt. Hope that helps.
    Well I have always wore my shirt tucked in so that is a first adjustment ;) I've been reading up on it and it seems like there will be a fair amount of trial and error.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links