Choices choices choices... to many

This is a discussion on Choices choices choices... to many within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of processing my paperwork for CA CCW. Hopefully it will get approved and with that I will have an excuse ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choices choices choices... to many

I am in the process of processing my paperwork for CA CCW. Hopefully it will get approved and with that I will have an excuse to pickup another gun (5" XD is a wee bit big for me to carry concealed comfortably).

Anyways, I have spent some time @ the local gun stores and doing research on the net trying to decide and I think I kind of narrowed it down. I like the XD line and the XD SC .40 looks very tempting. The only downside of it is that it has a short grip. On the upside it can be remedied easily with a longer mag and an extension that slides on the mag making it a full length grip.

But... I want to make sure that I don't miss anything else that is out there that is worth checking out, so please throw some suggestions my way based on the following criteria:

1. Don't want a revolver.
    2. I am pretty sure it needs to be .40 or 9mm as I want it to be both practical to carry: for some reason I haven't found yet a 45 ACP that fits my hand comfortably and the 45 GAP is a bit expensive to shoot.
    3. It has to be fairly inexpensive to shoot (see comment above about GAP) but should still retain the stopping power.
    4. I'm 5'7" and pretty damn skinny which leaves little room to conceal anything. I'm thinking about either a IWB holster or a shoulder setup of sorts (that kind of has to come as a package with the gun though I think as each gun will fit a differt holster in a different manner). (Fanny pack is out of the question).
    5. Accuracy of course counts. While I know that the shooter is primarily responsible for how accurate his shots are, the gun does contribute a bit and with that I don't want to end up with a weapon that has a tendency to shoot all over.
    6. Reliability: even though it might be a great fitting gun and comfortable to hold and accurate to shoot, if there is a fair amount of complaints about same part breaking over and over again, I don't want it.
    7. Oh yeah, I don't want to have to trade in a first born for it!

I think that about covers it..... So... any suggestions? :D

Thanks Y'all.
    H.

If ya like the XD, why not the baby XD in the same caliber? Same design, manual of arms, and easy ammo inventory.

Remember, the grip length will greatly affect your ability to carry it concealed - that, and a good holster and belt. Good luck, and have fun choosing!

BTW - Welcome! Glad ya joined!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am not shure what is on the CA " approved list " so its hard to formulate an answer .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I am 5'8" and used to be skinny. After 40 I became healthy. Anyway I carry a Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm. It is not the lightest gun out there, but it is compact and only 1.2" thick. It is a single stack. It is accurate (more accurate than I am) and absolutely reliable. It is not cheap, but it is worth what you pay for it. There are factory certified previously owned pistols available. It is also available in 357Sig and .40. Great gun. It is by far the best pistol I have ever shot. Take a look and see what you think.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    ...too many choices? You ain't kidding!!

I'm not a big guy myself and I can conceal an HK USP full-size .45 ACP under an untucked shirt while concealed in a Comp Tac C-TAC holster.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member
    I have no trouble concealing a Sig P220 or a Glock 17, can be done with the right gear, but I would much rather carry my CZ P-01, just about the size of a Glock 19, a tad bit heavier.
    RKBA

John

How about a 1911 in 9mm in a Milt Sparks Versa max II ?
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Kahr P9 if you want light weight, Kahr K40 if you like the .40, don't mind the weight. Or a 4" barrelled officer's frame .45

All of these hide well and fit medium to smaller hands well. I'm 5'7" too; not skinny but slender, and i too have a hard time hiding larger frame (i.e., thicker) weapons. I carry a Kahr P9 as my primary. If you get the regular version it's not too costly. I got mine with the blackened slide and night sights so it did set me back a bit.

Just about any auto that is more than a single stack is too wide for my hands and feels Very thick in my IWB holster.

Good luck with your choice

God Bless
    Gideon

Assistant Administrator

Plenty of input already but I'll just add my usual comment which is - gear size to clothing cover options - and weight to carry comfort.

Then find the gun that in this category can shoot well, for you. Try out all you can - only way to really know what suits - you. I love my SIG but you might find it feels wrong, for you. Same might apply to other guns folks personally adore but for you they might suck
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

glock 26 or 27. or you could look at the kel tec p11.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    If ya like the XD, why not the baby XD in the same caliber? Same design, manual of arms, and easy ammo inventory.

Remember, the grip length will greatly affect your ability to carry it concealed - that, and a good holster and belt. Good luck, and have fun choosing!

BTW - Welcome! Glad ya joined!
    THere are two reasons why I can't do the same caliber:
    1. They don't make SC in GAP
    2. Shooting GAP sometimes feels like shooting at silver dollars ;)

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    ...too many choices? You ain't kidding!!

I'm not a big guy myself and I can conceal an HK USP full-size .45 ACP under an untucked shirt while concealed in a Comp Tac C-TAC holster.
    Hmmm well you gotta admit, that one is one of the bigger ones. Here in SoCal it gets warm so the smaller, the better ;)

Huzar, I believe all the XD's are CA approved

Quote Originally Posted by soonerjh
    I have no trouble concealing a Sig P220 or a Glock 17, can be done with the right gear, but I would much rather carry my CZ P-01, just about the size of a Glock 19, a tad bit heavier.
    I have been considering the CZ, but I just realized that I have something that might qualify as a stupid question. Is Picatinny Rail same as M3 rail? I'm trying to remember what it looked like when I looked at it at a gun store but I don't think I paid it enough attention.

Call me picky, but even though whatever I go with won't have same ammo as my other handgun it would be nice to have same type of an accessory rail ;)

Hmmm I didn't consider the Kahr before. I looked it up on the web and it is looking pretty nice. Seems like older ones had some mag problems but Kahr is aware of it and offers replacements and new mags are different. Definately gonna look at it.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    Kahr P9 if you want light weight, Kahr K40 if you like the .40, don't mind the weight. Or a 4" barrelled officer's frame .45

All of these hide well and fit medium to smaller hands well. I'm 5'7" too; not skinny but slender, and i too have a hard time hiding larger frame (i.e., thicker) weapons. I carry a Kahr P9 as my primary. If you get the regular version it's not too costly. I got mine with the blackened slide and night sights so it did set me back a bit.

Just about any auto that is more than a single stack is too wide for my hands and feels Very thick in my IWB holster.

Good luck with your choice

God Bless
    Gideon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links