Used Guns?

Used Guns?

This is a discussion on Used Guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to enjoy the most significant privilege of my 21st birthday in SC. No, not drinking- but CWP and handgun ownership. As I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Guns?

Used Guns?

I am about to enjoy the most significant privilege of my 21st birthday in SC. No, not drinking- but CWP and handgun ownership.

As I contemplate what pistol I'd like to carry, my thoughts have centered on:
    Springfield XD 4" 9mm
    Glock 19
    Ruger SR9/SR9c

...but I don't mean for this to get into a make/model discussion. What I really want to know is, what are the pros and cons of buying a used gun? Is it a wise decision? I don't intend on purchasing a firearm from a pawnshop, since I've heard that these guns are sometimes of suspect origins.

Sound off!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Gamecock1: Happy Birthday from a 10 year resident in Charleston. Firstly, there are pawnshops and there are pawnshops so it is not as bad as you tend to make it. I purchased a 1966 Ruger MKI for $200 out the door in perfect condition and could not be happier with it.There are, at least in the Charleston area, several good gunshops that do deal with used firearms--you may pay a few bucks more than on internet or from newspaper ads, but you are dealing with some knowledgeable gun people who can help you. The owner of one of these shops is a well respected and experienced gunsmith who stands behind all his sales (and you pay a little premium for that). For best prices, IMO, the internet (GunsAmerica and Gun Broker) have large inventories and some good prices (you have to know your prices) with some amount of guarantee protecting the buyer from the seller. Buying a used gun can be a good deal. On the other hand, you are buying a firearm that, if chosen properly, will be with you for many years. If you divide the savings (new vs used) by 10 or 20 years, is it really a lot of money? Happy Birthday again and be safe, respect that firearm and respect that CCWP.

Congrats!

1. Know what you want
    2. Know what it's worth
    3. Know how to tell if it's ok

On the first - decide what you want and don't be swayed. "Well, I dont have an XX, but I do have an YY."

Second - check local stores and online sales. Learn what the gun brings on the open market. Set your top price and don't go over that.

Lastly - If you don't know how to inspect a gun, take a friend along who does. There's used and then there's abused, and you can usually tell the difference.

Nothing wrong with buying from pawn shops. I own several from those places. The origin doesn't matter, just keep the bill of sale showing when YOU took possession and you're ok.

I've bought a few used ones and they've been great. I've bought a lot of new ones as well. Know what you're looking at and looking for. If you're not getting a significant price break (or a bunch of holsters, mags, etc. with it), then you may be better off going new. I did buy a used Ruger P95 that is my most accurate and reliable handgun. I probably paid a little more than I should have, but I specifically wanted the older model so it was worth it to me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

First of all ... congrats on your decision to join the millions of gun enthusiasts across this great land and the ranks of those who CC. Secondly, in addition to the good advise already given, it's wise IMHO to know the manufacture's warranty policy on used guns before you buy. My first go round with a used gun was a Springfield 1911 a few years back. A large part of my final decision to purchase was shaped when I called Springfield customer service and was told that they would honor the lifetime warranty on the gun (and they have twice ... including shipping at their expense both ways ). Ruger, on the other hand, doesn't have a written lifetime warranty due to Magnusun- Moss concerns. What they do have are well built guns and a service policy where they are willing to stand behind and service their firearms whether you are the original owner or the 5th owner (don't own a Glock so no comment). Good luck with your decision!
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Naturally it's buyer beware, but my first gun was a .22 rifle, bought used from a hardware store. That was in the early '60s and I still have it--and it still works just fine.

The 1,2,3s in post 3 say it all. Know what you're getting and what it's worth. Know the diff between fair wear and tear versus abused. Many new firearms have their fair share of problems also, so there's no guarantee on that.

Usually on used guns, the seller is more likely to "deal." Try to get an extra mag, holster, or ammo thrown in to "sweaten" the deal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    No different than buying a used car IMO. If you're buying from the private owner, then "why are you selling?". Of course, if the gun has issues, you probably won't get the truth. As has been said, take someone with you who has a solid understanding of what to look for. Shooting it always helps but that usually isn't an option. My small local shop will pretty much let you bring it back if you're not happy but then, his shop is not the norm.

Just because it's used, doesn't mean it's a bad deal. It does mean extra time and precaution / inspection is required. All that said, and I hope this isn't a fall back position that you require, you can send it to the manufacturer for repairs.

Final thought; It just occured to me that I've had issues w/at least 2 new handguns that I've purchased but never w/any of the used ones. I've been lucky I suppose.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Naturally it's buyer beware, but my first gun was a .22 rifle, bought used from a hardware store. That was in the early '60s and I still have it--and it still works just fine.

The 1,2,3s in post 3 say it all. Know what you're getting and what it's worth. Know the diff between fair wear and tear versus abused. Many new firearms have their fair share of problems also, so there's no guarantee on that.

Usually on used guns, the seller is more likely to "deal." Try to get an extra mag, holster, or ammo thrown in to "sweeten" the deal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Happy birthday! You go Gamecock1!

All my guns are used guns. Most of my guns were purchased used. I purchased a used Colt 1911 for my 21st birthday from a pawn shop. Still have it. Haven't seen 21 in so many years I forgot what it's like.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I echo many of the statements listed above. Find a reputable dealer first and foremost. Know what it is you want and do some research on the weapons in which you are interested--particularly inspection points and what to look for in terms of "normal" wear patterns and to determine if there are any problems associated with a particular weapon design. Go in knowing what a particular model goes for used and go in knowing exactly what you are willing to pay.

Quite a few of my concealed carry weapons are used, albeit Sig CPOs, but used nonetheless.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Hey all thanks for the advice. now a follow up: what are the most important checks for wear/abuse one should perform when considering a used weapon or even just inspecting one's own arsenal? Just trying to avoid "tire kicking" here.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I ran across this a while ago.
    How to Buy Guns 2

Seemed like good general advice. Do a google search and you'll find a few articles with what to look for, and some tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecocks1 View Post
    I am about to enjoy the most significant privilege of my 21st birthday in SC. No, not drinking- but CWP and handgun ownership.

As I contemplate what pistol I'd like to carry, my thoughts have centered on:
    Springfield XD 4" 9mm
    Glock 19
    Ruger SR9/SR9c

...but I don't mean for this to get into a make/model discussion. What I really want to know is, what are the pros and cons of buying a used gun? Is it a wise decision? I don't intend on purchasing a firearm from a pawnshop, since I've heard that these guns are sometimes of suspect origins.

Sound off!
    I think you've got a good list, these three will be a very good start!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Congrats on becoming a gun owner! All my buddies thought I was weird when I turned 21 for being more excited about buying my first handgun instead of my first beer!

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a used gun, but as many have said, make sure you know what to look for and do some research before buying. I just picked up a used Kimber Ultra Carry II in blued for 550 and it had around 500 rounds through it. The gun looks like a brand new unit and you can tell the guy took care of it.

Do some research and then go shopping!

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum!

Many, many folks buy and sell guns like trading cards of years past. Also, when the chips are down, people will sell a gun or two for close to nothing! As such, you will almost always get a better deal on a used gun. Unless the gun is really trashed which I have found to be seldom, I would look at a used one without too much reservation. This is especially the case with older revolvers whereby they generally bring more value than a new one.

Regards,
    Dan Ortego
    US Army (Ret)
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links