Question regarding California laws

This is a discussion on Question regarding California laws within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this isn't really about concealed weapons or anything in fact I don't actually own a personal fire arm, however I'm in the Marine Corps ...

Thread: Question regarding California laws

Question regarding California laws

So this isn't really about concealed weapons or anything in fact I don't actually own a personal fire arm, however I'm in the Marine Corps (infantry) and I deploy to Afghanistan in September. Now I just recently bought polymer magazines (by magpul) as well as a new buttstock and pistol grip for my m4a1 and had them shipped to my home town in Washington state. Now my question is this: Can I legally bring the mags, buttstock, and pistol grip in my checked luggage to the state of California or will they be confiscated? I'm driving to Washington and leaving my car with my parents for deployment, so I will have to fly back to California.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

-Dan

2. Remove Ads

"high capacity" magazines

If the magazines have capacity over 10 rounds you can't legally bring them into California. The other items are legal as long as they aren't installed on gun, converting it into an "assault weapon" as defined in the law.

Won't the military give you all the magazines you need where you are going?
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Could you mail them straight to the base?

n/a

They do but they are just the aluminum mags. I bought the polymer mags because they are a lot nicer then the ones we get issued and are not as likely to cause stoppages while firing. The ones we get issued are pretty crappy. So do you think mailing them to base would be the way to go?

There is an exception/waiver for active military stationed in CA (as is the case with "AWs"). Call the DOJ for info. Scratch that. Head over to Calguns.net and ask there.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Ok thanks a lot guys, appreciate the help.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4755 View Post
    So this isn't really about concealed weapons or anything in fact I don't actually own a personal fire arm, however I'm in the Marine Corps (infantry) and I deploy to Afghanistan in September. Now I just recently bought polymer magazines (by magpul) as well as a new buttstock and pistol grip for my m4a1 and had them shipped to my home town in Washington state. Now my question is this: Can I legally bring the mags, buttstock, and pistol grip in my checked luggage to the state of California or will they be confiscated? I'm driving to Washington and leaving my car with my parents for deployment, so I will have to fly back to California.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

-Dan
    Dan,

As a fellow Washingtonian, thank you for your service! Come home safe where we can have real mags!!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links