Help me pick a sub compact 9 (Walther PPS, Kahr P9/PM9, and Glock 26)

This is a discussion on Help me pick a sub compact 9 (Walther PPS, Kahr P9/PM9, and Glock 26) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so my fiancee and soon to be wife...(10 days). Just turned 21. I would like to buy her a subcompact 9mm for carry when ...

View Poll Results: Which Sub 9?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 26

56 43.08%
  • Walther PPS

26 20.00%
  • Kahr P9

12 9.23%
  • Kahr PM9

36 27.69%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a sub compact 9 (Walther PPS, Kahr P9/PM9, and Glock 26)

Help me pick a sub compact 9 (Walther PPS, Kahr P9/PM9, and Glock 26)

OK so my fiancee and soon to be wife...(10 days). Just turned 21. I would like to buy her a subcompact 9mm for carry when she gets her permit. By touching and handling every gun i could get her hands on, we have narrowed it down to these 4. Glock 26, Kahr PM9, Kahr P9, and Walther PPS. She has handled all of the reputable major manufacturers small 9s. SIG, Glock, Kahr, Walther, and Smith and Wesson. She likes these four the best. Here is my opinion of each based on what I know of them and her abilities.

Glock 26: Reliable, easy to find parts/acessories, etc. Requires minimal maintenance, not finicky, and just runs when needed. This is good for her as she may not be as regimented on maintenance as a more experience shooter. She likes the feel of it but is concerned the double stack will be too bulky for her too conceal.

Kahr PM9: Small, thin and highly concealable. She LOVES the feel of it in her hand, and the LOOK of it. From what I have heard and read form other members here and owners, they are a great and reliable handgun but require a definite type of maintenance and break in to keep them reliable. Not sure she is up to the task of what is required for this model. Dont want her to get discouraged by a gun she feels uncomfortable with.

Kahr P9: I LOVE this gun, and she likes it too. Just slightly larger than the PM9 and doesnt seem to have the reports of being as finicky. LIke it because it has a slighlty longer grip for her to tame recoil with, since she is a newer handgun shooter. Since she is 5'10", I think with a good belt and holster I think she could still conceal this gun easily.

Walther PPS: Thin small concealable, not as many parts/accessories available. Seems to be well liked by the owners I have talked to or read about. She liked the feel of it, but I dont know much about the maintenance requirements. On the plus side, it is one of the few subcompacts with an accessory rail for her to mount a light on for HD use. She currently uses my P228 as her night stand gun.

Tell me what you all think good bad or ugly.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Even though I have become a bit of a Glock fanboy recently I would say the PM9 is the best bet. They are not as proven as the glock however they are close. I would shy away from the PPS because I don't like guns with interchangeable back straps and I don't like their funky mag release.

The reason I pick the PM9 over the K9 and The G26 is size. The smaller it is the more likely she is to carry it. If she hadnt expressed concern already over size I would have recommended the G26 hands down.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Of your choices... a Glock 26 of course. It is a gun that will not let you down!

Rugged, reliable, utilitarian, wickedly accurate and a gun which like the Eveready Bunny, it just keeps going, and going, and going.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

No contest. IF she can conceal it, the G26 is the best of the pistols you have listed. The only advantages to the others are that they are smaller, lighter, thinner. But, as far as reliability and function go - hard to beat a G26.

You can run it dry, you can run it dirty. You can use the slide release lever to chamber a round, or you can use the pull-and-release method. The Glock does not care. The Kahr...does. You can load a Glock from a closed slide. Not so with the Kahr - the slide has to be locked back first. Read their manual.

If the chambered round is a dud, a tap-rack will get the Glock running again. The Kahr...probably not. It'll likely suffer a nose-down jam (assuming you are using JHPs).

The G26 will take a G19 or G17 higher-cap mag as a reload.

The PPS has a unique mag release. If you are not used to it, it will require some training.

The G26 is a "fighting pistol." It shoots like a much bigger pistol. If I could only have one pistol in the world, it would be a G26. I have personal experience with 1911s, Beretta M9s, Glocks, XDs, Kahrs, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. JMHO.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

10thmtn...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with bark'n and 10th that the G26 is the "better" more reliable pistol. It's what I trust my life to and it's the gun that renewed my faith in auto loaders. I'm just afraid that if she has already expressed concern over the size it may become a chore for her to carry a few months down the road and she might start leaving it at home. The PM9 being a bit lighter and slimmer will be less of a nuisance for her to have to carry. That being said I guess you could always get her the glock and then if she stops carrying it YOU can have it and then buy her the PM9 and everyone wins :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Kinda agree with the above.... IF she will be able to carry it well then the 26.

Really I don't think she can go wrong with any of them.

The PPS is my EDC and I have had zero problems with it. Shoots well and disappears IWB. Has more of "glock-like" trigger than the Kahr.

My wife has a Kahr CW9 and she likes it. It was originally my first handgun and again, haven't had a single issue with it. A little larger than the PM9, but thin and conceals well. Has a longer trigger but it's smooth, I just didn't like that long of a pull. I haven't shot a PM9 so not sure how different that trigger is.

I have a Kahr CW9. Want a PM9. I would also recommend a CW9, it's less expensive than the P9 and PM9. Same as P9, except has a rifled barrel instead of polygonal. Has a die cast slide release instead of machined. Has 45 degree cut on sides of slide instead of the fancier machining of the PM9 or P9. CW is engraved on instead of the roll stamping used on more expensive models. Other than that, just as reliable and accurate.

Glocks are too fat. (go ahead flame me) but they are. It's like carrying a brick around. She will end up leaving it at home.

The PPS might be a consideration.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I say Glock 26(but thats me being a little biased). If size is truly a concern, the PPS is the runner up in my book.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Distinguished Member
    How about the Sig P239? Slim in 9 mm, single stack. I think it holds 8 +1. I shot one in a 40 S&W, it was a beauty even though I normally don't like that round.

The PPS shoots nice, I tried one the other day. I was easily more accurate with it than the Kahrs you mentioned. Not much to look at, but you could fix that with a neat holster. Pretty spendy too, if I were to do the PPS I'd go with the Sig instead.

I own a PPS and it has wowed me. The Glock reliability is unsurpassed but I found the grip uncomfortable and it's too wide and chubby for my purposes. No experience with the Kahr's. The PPS just meets all my needs, superbly and with class.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    How about the Sig P239? Slim in 9 mm, single stack. I think it holds 8 +1. I shot one in a 40 S&W, it was a beauty even though I normally don't like that round.
    The Sig P239 is actually as the same width as the G26.

Well she definitely wants to carry IWB. I will make sure she has a quality holster. I have already converted her to good strong belts. She is curvy built so I think she can do the 26. She handled the P239 and like it, but it is big for what it is, and roughly the size of a Glock 19. I also like the Glock because I can get LEO discount. That helps, but is not a deciding factor as I will make sure she gets what is best for her AND what she wants. Keep the answers coming.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I voted for the G26. That's what my wife carries, and I'm all about Glocks. That's rather subjective isn't it? Thing is....I can't tell anyone what's best for them in the way of carry. Too much user interface required at that point. I have little experience with the others you've mentioned. I have little reason to do so.

VIP Member
    Let me buck the trend and suggest a M&P9c.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links