Question about Ruger LCP magazine

This is a discussion on Question about Ruger LCP magazine within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went looking at pocket .380's today and found what I believe is a big issue with the LCP magazine.Every time I tried to place the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Ruger LCP magazine

Question about Ruger LCP magazine

Went looking at pocket .380's today and found what I believe is a big issue with the LCP magazine.Every time I tried to place the magazine in the gun about halfway in it would catch on the mag release.If you pushed again after the initial catch or if you pressed the mag release in as you were sliding the magazine in it would seat. It seemed that under pressure trying to put a magazine in would be very difficult if not impossible without extensive practice.
    My question is is this normal for the LCP and if so does it break in after a while so it does not do this.I like the LCP but this might be a deal breaker for me.

2. Remove Ads

Easiest to seat the mag, if you partially depress the mag release.

Slam it in there like you mean it. No problem. I always give my mags an upward slap to ensure they are seated properly anyway.

At the range, if you want to depress the mag catch to make it "easier" you can, but not really necessary.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Mine works the same way, sometimes I slam it, sometimes I ease it, but I know that's how it is, thus no longer an issue.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Mine is the same way...
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    My question is is this normal for the LCP ...
    Yes. That's one of the reasons I got the Kel-Tec 3-AT instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Slam it in there like you mean it. No problem. I always give my mags an upward slap to ensure they are seated properly anyway.

At the range, if you want to depress the mag catch to make it "easier" you can, but not really necessary.
    +1. I do the same as 10thmtn and have had no issues. Pushing close to 1200 rounds down range on mine so far.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My first LCP's mag went in with no issues whatsoever. After foolishly selling it last year I recently picked up another one and the mag had that exact same insertion issue you describe. Bummed me out because at first I thought it was a problem I was going to have to send it back for, then I found it's very common and most people just ignore it and depress the button on the way in. I worked the release button about 300 times, gave it one good sharp slap and it went right in. Goes in fine now, maybe a slight slight bit of resistance but that's it. I think working the mag release spring is what it really needs.

I also have an LCP and both magazines behave the same way. My friend's also does. As others have suggested, you either have to slam the magazine in or hold the magazine release while inserting the magazine.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Remember guys when things are miniturized including firearms like the LCP for example things often don't work as well or the same way as in larger guns. Lots of little tiny parts (often plastic) fitting into a small tiny frame. The mag release is a perfect example. You just have to live with it.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Yup, that's the LCP.

Depressing the mag latch release button would be the correct way to insert the magazine - NOT slamming it.

It'll get better in time.

It's an excellent gun after the initial break-in issues. I've got two of them.

You can always choose another firearm. I'd stay with the Ruger.

Stay safe.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right. -- Cicero

It shouldn't be hard for your gunsmith to adjust that. Probably the bottom edge of the catch needs adjusted. That shouldn't affect the part that actually holds the mag in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    It seemed that under pressure trying to put a magazine in would be very difficult if not impossible without extensive practice..
    Under pressure you should be relying on gross motor skills as much as possible. Therefore, when you reload you should slam the magazine into the gun to make sure it seats as quickly as possible. You don't want to take time to gingerly place a mag, and gently press the mag release. You don't want to train that way no matter what firearm you have.

It's a gun, put the mag in and slam it home like you mean it. After awhile it will loosen up a bit. Good luck and be safe.
    EDC: Glock 30 IWB Tucker Gunleather - Silent Thunder
    Ruger LCP - BUG in front or back pocket

"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!"

With use, the LCP will break in and the magazine issue will smooth it self out.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Savior Sound View Post
    Yes. That's one of the reasons I got the Kel-Tec 3-AT instead.

Well, I thank of it as an additional safety. When it's locked in the gun safe I take the clip out but it's loaded with defense rounds... I like knowing that you have to push the button to get the mag button to get it in!

Anyone call Ruger about this to see if it is intentional or not??
    Matthew <><
    Helotes, Texas

Beretta/Stoeger Cougar 8000f -blued, 9mm
    Kel-Tec PF9- 9mm, hard chrome
    Ruger LCP with CT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links