glock 23 conversion question

This is a discussion on glock 23 conversion question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have a question on the glock 23 to turn to 357sig is it true all u have to do is change out the barrel ...

i have a question on the glock 23 to turn to 357sig is it true all u have to do is change out the barrel and load the 357 into the 40cal mag? i thought u had to change the entire slide out to 357sig upper! and i was told with the 23 you can also shoot 9mm the same way by switching out the barrels is any of this true?
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Just the barrel for .357, unless it's a Gen2 23, then it's a no-go.

9mm may require a different follower, extractor, and/or ejector - but they're all inexpensive parts.

Yep, Lone Wolf Distributors - Main Page. Get a 9mm barrel and you will have to have 9mm mags. Ive been told the 9mm will work fine with just the barrel, but the spent caseings may hit you between the eyes. Then you may want to change extractor and other parts.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

If you want to stick with a Glock barrel then G23/G32 barrels are 100% cross compatible. No "conversion barrel" is really needed. For 9mm a special 9mm conversion barrel (non-Glock) barrel is required. The standard Glock 9mm barrel had a smaller OD than a 40/357. The conversion barrel for 357/40 -> 9mm uses a thicker walled barrel with the same OD as the 357 and 40 barrel.

U can shoot with 40 mag but if your carring 357 i would use the 357 mags
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    With 9mm barrel and mags, it should work just fine. Some have a problem, but replacing the ejector. etc. probably isn't necessary. As for the casings hitting you between the eyes, "Duck and cover."

.357 Sig rounds will feed thru a .40 mag just fine, but not the 9mms. The .40 slide is the same dimensions as a .357 Sig. Barrel change needed only.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Dont know for the .357sig but I do know that with my Glock 23 I just got the barrel(from Lone wolf a stainless ported one) and a Glock 17 magazine and that was it it ran 100% reliably..didn't need to touch any of the other stuff listed just the barrel and mag.

The .357 Sig is a .40 S&W cartridge necked down to .357 so no problem with the Glock 23 magazine. Just a Glock.357 barrel and your good to go. That said if you put the .357 barrel in the .40 slide and then have a problem would that void the warranty ?
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The .357 SIG case isn't exactly a .40 case (it's based on the .40 but the dimensions are slightly different), it's close enough that either one feeds in either caliber mags, etc. .40 S&W cases necked down to .357 SIG will be a bit shorter in length and may not hold the bullet as well.. A couple of old machinists I shoot with do it and have no problems, but I don't know if they're shooting hot loads.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No problem with just changing to .357 Sig barrel. I go back and forth between 40 and .357 Sig. 40 cal magazine works fine. The only change that I made was installing a Tungsten guide rod. Added weight up front helps on the snappy recoil!

12 GA
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

To safely do the .40 >> .357 conversion, you must start with a 3-pin (vs. 2-pin) frame. The early G23's, etc. had 2-pin frames, and should not be used.

(2nd Generation was mentioned.....not ALL 2nd Gen G23's are 2-pin, though!)

The early G23/32 magazines were identical, even marked ".40/.357" on the back. Several years later, GlockInc. tweaked the follower a bit on the .357 version, but in my experience, they are still totally interchangeable.

Links