Beretta 21a and drop safety

This is a discussion on Beretta 21a and drop safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My other thread kinda ran its course but I am hoping to get an explanation that will further my gun safety education. I was thinking ...

Thread: Beretta 21a and drop safety

Beretta 21a and drop safety

My other thread kinda ran its course but I am hoping to get an explanation that will further my gun safety education.

I was thinking about a Berreta 21a as a BUG and sometimes primary carry. Putting aside the caliber argument one of the posters said it was not drop safe.

My understanding is the beretta 21a has a manual safety and when engaged the weapon is drop safe when the hammer is either cocked or not.

Could someone explain to me if this is right, or how exactly the mechanics on a weapon like this works regarding the manual safety.

I appreciate the education of my newbiness.

2. Remove Ads

Hoping someone can educate me.

Bump hoping someone can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    My other thread kinda ran its course but I am hoping to get an explanation that will further my gun safety education.

I was thinking about a Berreta 21a as a BUG and sometimes primary carry. Putting aside the caliber argument one of the posters said it was not drop safe.

My understanding is the beretta 21a has a manual safety and when engaged the weapon is drop safe when the hammer is either cocked or not.

Could someone explain to me if this is right, or how exactly the mechanics on a weapon like this works regarding the manual safety.

I appreciate the education of my newbiness.
    The Beretta 21A has a rebounding firing pin. With the hammer down (safety on OR off) it is as drop safe as any pistol. I would not recommend carrying the 21A "cocked & locked", the safety does work as a hammer block, but is very easily clicked off.

My 21A is very reliable as long as it is fed CCI Stingers and is accurate enough to shoot striped gophers @ 15yds; anything else it becomes a "one shot wonder" after 10-15 rounds.

Just my two-bits-worth from 15 years of carrying a 21A. I replaced mine with a P3AT about 6-8 months ago. Learned the hard way that 22lr is too light for serious self defense.

Tracy
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Keep in mind that this is a bulletin board not a live chat. Sometimes threads take a bit of time to get answered. Careful bumping threads too as it is against the forum rules.

Yes the 21A is as safe as any pistol. The firing pin actuates by inertia. Usually people say pistols are not drop safe when they
    #1 don't have a firing pin stop
    #2 the firing pin can rest on the primer
    In the Beretta's case there isn't a fire pin stop but the firing pin doesn't rest on the primer even if the hammer is down. The 21A also has a half cock which is the safest way to carry it. Since it is double action you don't have to worry too much about cocking it first anyway.

My 21A likes anything steel cased. The brass sometimes has feeding problems. CCI is a good brand and the 21A seems to like it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Links